Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 09:28 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,931,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Allah is the Arabic word for God and is not limited to Islam.
A church bell ringing doesn't call to Allah, their words do. So now separation of schools and God is different now that we call Him Allah? Ten Commandments remove them, but reserved time for calling to Allah, we can consider this?

Strange, the same people saying this is fair, are the same ones who don't want the Ten Commandments anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 09:32 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,226,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
A church bell ringing doesn't call to Allah, their words do. So now separation of schools and God is different now that we call Him Allah? Ten Commandments remove them, but reserved time for calling to Allah, we can consider this?

Strange, the same people saying this is fair, are the same ones who don't want the Ten Commandments anywhere.
It's completely bizarre the people defending religious freedom for Islam are the same ones complaining Christianity is shoved down their throats.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:33 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
When did this call for prayer over a loud speaker start? They didnt have loud speakers back in the stone ages. It must be a more modern thing.
Use of loud speakers became common begining in the 1930's. Prior to that, an Imam would climb and shout.

It's an experience to listen to the calls from multiple mosques in substantially Muslim cities, like Istanbul.
Despite an almost 100%, Muslim population, Turkish Law in secular and homosexuality is not a crime. There have been a few ( subsequently defeated) bills proposed in Turkey to make SSM legal.

I am agnostic and tend to perceive similaries of beliefs moreso than differences.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 01-16-2015 at 09:59 AM..

Old 01-16-2015, 09:34 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,375,634 times
Quote:
Allah is the Arabic word for God and is not limited to Islam.
cultural connotations being what they are, I would humbly submit that simply because a 6th century warlord said so, does not necessarliy mean i as a westerner am requried to accept the principle.

in the english language when i hear the word god. it has a general nutral connotation. It might mean G-d in the Jewish sense... it might be a reference to Jesus. it might even be some unattached statement representing the speakers view that there is some "intelegent" being out there somewhere that has some impact on the lives of men.... and it might very well be a refence to the god spoken of by the 6th centruy warlord.

BUT when I hear the word Allah, when I see that particular word written.... it has a single connotation. That being it is a representation of the god at the heart of the government/religion created by said 6th centrury warlord

Old 01-16-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temp43k View Post
Does the Duke campus have any church bells that ring out? Wouldn't that be the same as the 'call to prayer' ?
The original purpose of bells was a thrice daily call to recite the Lord's Prayer.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:40 AM

17,371 posts, read 14,618,966 times
Quote:
I revised my post to create the analogy between the Muslim " Call to Prayer" and the original significance of church bells. The school does ring bells three times a day which is a call to believers to recite the Lord's Prayer.

One of the Pillars of Muslim faith is a 5 X a day call to prayer. The school made a poorly timed decision to acknowledge their Muslim students with a once a week " Call to Prayer". Reportedly, the school's admin received threats of violence should they persist with the intention. Billy Graham's son implored people to express their outrage and withhold funding.

Allah is the Arabic word for God and not limited to Islam.

It's a private school. They could have sustained their original purpose, Methodist education or given their desire to appeal to the widest audience of qualified students and thus the migrated to a non- secretarian basis, they could have separated church and school. Instead, the school made a business decision to accommodate all faiths. A huge cluster fudge.
Quote:
The original purpose of bells was a thrice daily call to recite the Lord's Prayer.

Duke's bells do not ring 3 times a day.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:42 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,613,186 times
Quote:

The church bells ring every Sunday, and once a week there is a prayer call. You can hear the same in many communities, now.

The bells and the call do not require anything of me. I appreciate their beauty. The ten commandments do not represent the entire community, and my government should not be declaring a religion for me.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Duke is a private university. They can mix religion and education any way they want.

I think it was a bad idea though - it opens a can of worms where other religious groups will ask for consideration and Duke will be forced to pick and choose or say anything goes. I also think it is rather absurd to obviously broadcast a call to prayer across the campus.
Duke has a long history of accommodating all faiths, including but not limited to a variety of Christian Sects, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism and Islam. There are full time faith leaders on the staff of the university, including an Imam.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Some of us praise Graham and others diss the man for standing up to radical Islam. Moderates would realize the University is Christian based. Those with blinders will be the death of America, asking adults to get an education, rather than being overwhelmed with all religions must be just to hard to ask.
The school has a long history of accommodating all faiths.

Once they decided to be non- secretarian they could have separated church and school. Instead, the school made the business decision to accommodated all faiths.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:

It's a private school. They are free to roll any way they choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies