Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 02:06 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Hmmmph.

In any case, keep being embarrassed for me. That way you can continue to relieve me of the burden of being embarrassed for myself.
OK, cards on the table here. You found it either amusing or insulting (probably both) because some white lady referred to black folks as her brothers and sisters and probably found it condescending or something right? You probably have very valid reasons for feeling that way and that's ok. But you don't know me so how could you possibly know where my heart is.

For the record, I have a multitude of valid reasons for my statement with the number one being that I believe in God and I also believe we are all his children and as a result we are all brothers and sisters so why wouldn't we refer to each other as such?

The second biggest reason I use that term is because OVER half of my family is either black or bi-racial including 3 siblings.

Now do you find it humorous.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:14 PM

170 posts, read 133,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
What black CD posters think about him is irrelevant. Like it or not he speaks for the overwhelming majority of Blacks.
I think this position is no different than white America dictating that a person with mix parents is automatically black. A person's white parent is completely disregarded. Perpetuation of the plantation owner's mentality.

Last edited by Hondu54; 01-16-2015 at 02:26 PM..

Old 01-16-2015, 02:18 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRenaud View Post
OK, cards on the table here. You found it either amusing or insulting (probably both) because some white lady referred to black folks as her brothers and sisters and probably found it condescending or something right? You probably have very valid reasons for feeling that way and that's ok. But you don't know me so how could you possibly know where my heart is.

For the record, I have a multitude of valid reasons for my statement with the number one being that I believe in God and I also believe we are all his children and as a result we are all brothers and sisters so why wouldn't we refer to each other as such?

The second biggest reason I use that term is because OVER half of my family is either black or bi-racial including 3 siblings.

Now do you find it humorous.
No. Now I'm mad at you. Lol

Hey...It's all beautiful.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
No. Now I'm mad at you. Lol

Hey...It's all beautiful.
THIS made me laugh out loud. The thing is, I don't think I should have to explain myself like I did. We should all look at each other as brothers and sisters regardless of our situations.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:30 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
To my fellow black CD'ers,

Like it or not, Rev Al is one of the most prominent and recognizable faces speaking for all of black society. He's the one who gets the TV time, whether you agree with him or not.

Just wondering what % of blacks actually agree with him or just see him as a race baiting media ***** only interested in getting face time on TV and lining his pockets?

I don't think about Big Perm. Next question

Old 01-16-2015, 02:36 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Let's say he is a "**** only interested in getting face time on TV and lining his pockets"... and? So what?

He's not creating racial strife. It's already there. If he wasn't talking about, the people living through it would still be talking about it. If nothing else, he brings a loud voice to something that would go ignored otherwise.

It's funny how Conservatives will call anyone pointing out racial inequality a "race-baiter" yet give a pass/pat on the back for people claiming Blacks & other minorities are inherently deficient...
So you agree with him that the reason no blacks won academy awards is because of racism and not simply that they didn't do a good job acting?

Old 01-16-2015, 03:02 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
So you agree with him that the reason no blacks won academy awards is because of racism and not simply that they didn't do a good job acting?
It's irrelevant if I agree w/ him or not. Sharpton is not saying anything that other people haven't said before him or wouldn't say w/o him. You point to Sharpton's criticism of the Academy Awards, yet conveniently leave out the HUNDREDS of other people making the same observation, many of whom did it before Sharpton made any kind of announcement.

Maybe Sharpton commands an army of psychics that know to jump on the "race-baiting" before he says anything...

Old 01-16-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Let's say he is a "**** only interested in getting face time on TV and lining his pockets"... and? So what?

He's not creating racial strife. It's already there. If he wasn't talking about, the people living through it would still be talking about it. If nothing else, he brings a loud voice to something that would go ignored otherwise.

It's funny how Conservatives will call anyone pointing out racial inequality a "race-baiter" yet give a pass/pat on the back for people claiming Blacks & other minorities are inherently deficient...
I'm not a conservative and I think he's a race baiter but I also don't agree that minorities of any color are inherently deficient either. Sharpton does have a loud voice but I don't think he is using his voice in the best interest of the black community either. While he didn't create racial strife, he sure is fanning the flames of it. Him and people of his ilk are only dragging the black community down and alienating the white people who honestly want to end racism.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:33 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRenaud View Post
THIS made me laugh out loud. The thing is, I don't think I should have to explain myself like I did. We should all look at each other as brothers and sisters regardless of our situations.
Of course you didn't have to. And you certainly didn't owe me an explanation.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Of course you didn't have to. And you certainly didn't owe me an explanation.
I know I didn't but I didn't want you to think I was just another whitey being insulting and condescending. Yup, I know "those people" do exist. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies