Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2015, 01:28 PM

293 posts, read 317,085 times

Advertisements

It appears Obama is increasing paid leave for being sick and for maternity reasons. This is an attempt to make a larger appeal to bring in more paid leave for workers in different sectors of the economy.

As someone who wants to work in the federal government I think this is excellent news. Moreover, I think it is good to set such a precedent and encourage other employers to provide increased paid leave. I know we have a workaholic mentality in this country, but I feel it is time we catch up to the rest of the world in this regard.

President Obama Wants You to Get Paid, Even When You're on Leave - 1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 01:39 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Other than federal employees, I doubt if it will change anything for anyone. Paid federal leave does not affect the bottom line of anyone but the tax payers. I used to work for a Fortune 25 company that did not/does not have paid sick leave for its low level hourly employees. You don't work, you don't get paid.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:01 PM

894 posts, read 1,050,263 times
Great, more time off for people who already have ridiculous amounts of time off to begin with.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:02 PM

293 posts, read 317,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
Great, more time off for people who already have ridiculous amounts of time off to begin with.
That is a common misconception. Federal employees have about the same leave as most in the private sector.

Most other countries allow 4-6 weeks entitled paid leave mandated by the government. The United Nations is mandated to entitle workers 6 weeks of paid vacation.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:05 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
I agree with Joe, this isn't going to go beyond federal employees.

I hope you weren't expecting a lot of "oh goody" posts from people who aren't federal employees, because you're likely to be disappointed.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:40 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
Many companies offer free or low-cost short-term disability insurance, which enables people who are off work for health reasons after exhausting their sick leave to collect a portion of their salaries, typically 50-70%. Maternity leave is often qualified.

So this is not unheard of in the private sector.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:58 PM

336 posts, read 378,048 times
The first post is not correct. Obama's memorandum does not increase the amount of paid leave for federal employees. Instead, the memorandum allows federal employees to borrow up to 30 days of future leave to take care of a new child. Most federal employees who take advantage of this policy change will be giving up their paid vacation time for the next 1.5 years or longer.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:41 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,141,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAGeek View Post
The first post is not correct. Obama's memorandum does not increase the amount of paid leave for federal employees. Instead, the memorandum allows federal employees to borrow up to 30 days of future leave to take care of a new child. Most federal employees who take advantage of this policy change will be giving up their paid vacation time for the next 1.5 years or longer.
thank you. the headlines on this have been terribly misleading.

and i'm not sure what the big hoopla is about. currently, employees can request advanced sick leave but it seems to be up in the air whether it gets approved or not. this may just be a requirement to advance leave as opposed to leaving it to local discretion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies