Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2015, 05:08 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Yay for gay marriage. You can call it whatever you want but it's still sick and not a real marriage. Don't you gays kid yourselves, most people in the world think you're sick and in your hearts you know it too.
Thank you for sharing your opinion with us. We all know what they say about opinions.

Very sorry to break this to you, Ed, but ...

The hundreds of thousands of gay and lesbian couples getting married in 36 states and DC don't give a Flying Fig what some guy in California named Ed thinks of their marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 05:21 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Thank you for sharing your opinion with us. We all know what they say about opinions.

Very sorry to break this to you, Ed, but ...

The hundreds of thousands of gay and lesbian couples getting married in 36 states and DC don't give a Flying Fig what some guy in California named Ed thinks of their marriage.
And if Ed would stop and think about it, he could easily say "yeah, and vice-versa!" And there'd no harm, no foul.

Old 01-18-2015, 05:21 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You mad ?
Oh, he mad.

Old 01-18-2015, 05:52 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Lots of good articles coming out on how SCOTUS will vote on the upcoming same sex marriage case. The New York Times, Washington Post, Boston Globe, Wall Street Journal, Detroit Free Press ... all have interesting things to say. (Google it)

By restricting their hearing to just two issues - whether the 14th Amendment covers gays/lesbians and forces states to recognize same sex marriage and whether a state can deny to recognize a legal marriage of a couple who have moved across state lines - a more difficult burden has been put on supporters of same sex marriage. SCOTUS is not interested, apparently, in hearing about issues of discrimination or past injustices in other areas.

On the other hand, whatever ruling the Supremes make, it will not overturn gay marriage in those places where it is now legal. Opponents of legalized gay marriage can only hope for a situation that will keep the status quo. However there is a powerful and breathtaking movement throughout this country in favor of legalizing it in all 50 states, and I'm sure the Supremes are reflecting upon their legacy and don't want to be on the wrong side of history.

Old 01-18-2015, 05:58 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
However there is a powerful and breathtaking movement throughout this country in favor of legalizing it in all 50 states, and I'm sure the Supremes are reflecting upon their legacy and don't want to be on the wrong side of history.
Hmm. The only breathtaking movement I'm aware of right now is twerking. And that's pretty well run its course.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:35 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I can

The states that deny people the right to marry deny those individuals their liberty , granted to them by their creator(who ever he may be) and outlined in the Constitution of the United States, which trumps all State Constitutions.
There is no right to marry, so denying people permission to marry is not denying them their rights. There cannot be a right to get married, otherwise marriage between brothers and sisters would have to be legal.

What we need to do is allow gay people to marry because it is the right thing to do without attempting to involve the constitution into it, because that opens up too big a can of worms.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:50 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
There is no right to marry, so denying people permission to marry is not denying them their rights. There cannot be a right to get married, otherwise marriage between brothers and sisters would have to be legal.
There in fact is a right to get married. Read the dozen Supreme Court cases that have stated so.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:54 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
I'll call it marriage, thanks. I'll also call right-wing conservatism the great cancer infesting humanity, because that's exactly what it is. A despicable ideology of hate.
Yup this. Fundamentalist/Evangelical "Christians" are truly evil people. I see no ideological difference between them and the jihadists causing havoc in Europe.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:56 PM

211 posts, read 164,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
HETEROSEXUAL MARRIAGE IS A SLIPPERY SLOPE, if people of the opposite sex are allowed to marry, what is next, polygamy, polyandry, incestual marriage, geez maybe even bestiality. Do not blame all of those types of marriages on the equality of marriage including gays and lesbians, all of those rights you seem to declare as yours alone belong to all of us, gay and straight.
Heterosexual relationships are natural they are intended to be to procreate and make sure ANY species that does so has future humans,ducks,dogs etc whatever...I know your next reply will state that homosexuality occurs in nation and I will say that we shouldn't lower ourselves to animals levels...humans are the most evolved of the species and should act like it. I have also learned very FEW people as a percentage are going to change their views on homosexuals and homosexual marriage so its really not worth battling over. They will win this battle for now and I will go on with my life and be extra cautious when my kids start school and activities etc. I will sit back and watch society decay into immoral abyss and I will just watch with interest.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:59 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
There in fact is a right to get married. Read the dozen Supreme Court cases that have stated so.
Rights derived from Supreme Court cases are implied/inferred rights that are subject to being overturned by the next Supreme Court case. I was talking about constitutionally guaranteed rights, not amorphous implied rights from the Due Process clause.

Additionally, liberals wanting to use those cases to provide for the right to gay marriage need to be careful because they also affirm things as rights which liberals don't want to grant people, such as the freedom of education which could be used to destroy the core curriculum that leftists are pushing these days.

Last edited by kidkaos2; 01-18-2015 at 07:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies