Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2015, 11:14 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
There is diversity in nature. But it isn't like the Lions, Hyenas, Buffalo, Alligators, Hippopotamuses, Cheetahs, Zebras, and Gazelles coexist peacefully. No, they are in perpetual conflict/competition with each other. And in many cases, they are constantly trying to kill each other. That is how diversity works in nature, diversity tries to kill each other.

To the extent that animals do "work together" in nature. In almost all cases, it is two species who are working together to kill a third species. Which is exactly what happens in human populations as well. Diversity only exists out of necessity.

For that matter, there is no "balance" in nature. At least not this perfect balance that people like to imagine.

All animals are trying to reproduce as fast as possible. The only limitation to the number of deer, is the availability of food, and the numbers killed by predators. If there isn't enough food, they are culled through starvation. If there are a lot of deer, then there is more food for predators. Who are then killed if they killed too many deer through starvation.

The total number of deer varies drastically from year to year, or from decade to decade. A good year, and the number of deer could double. Then a bad year, and half of the deer could die off to starvation, disease, and predators.

Regardless, in simplest terms "Diversity is division". Or really, "differences create division". Even something as simple as hair color can create division. Blondes are treated differently than Brunettes. This often creates "separation into social groups", or "social sorting". For that matter, look at how albinos are treated.

Diversity is not strength. The only reason we tolerate it, is because the people in charge benefit from cheap and abundant labor. More importantly, governments want taxpayers. The more taxpayers the better. Paying for a $700 billion a year military is a lot easier with 300 million taxpayers than 30 million taxpayers. I mean, look at China. Who would care about China if it didn't have 1.35 billion people?

I would like it if people were able to look at the situation more objectively, by just asking "What kinds of people would you want to live in your house with your wife and kids?". Because in essence, a country is a house, and you are inviting people from all over the world to live in your house with your wife and kids.

For that matter, "Who is your best friend?". Isn't he almost exactly like you? Why would you be friends with someone who is nothing like you?
Yes, but diversity in nature is still a strength. In the wild, all the different species of plants, animals, insects, plankton in the oceans---each holds a special and valuable niche, and helps create a fragile balance. Yes, the shark will eat a smaller fish. But the smaller fish is also essential for the survival of the shark. Diversity in nature is essential. A planet on which only one species survived, would soon die out.

And would I like to live in a community only with people whom are like me?---no. I appreciate different ages, different lifestyles, different races, different socioeconomic classes. I don't want to live in a homogeneous community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 11:19 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,733,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
What evidence do you have in your prediction of where the world would go?
For my evidence, I would point to mundane everyday life for most Americans. Imagine, for a moment, that every positive interaction between people of different cultures, religions, etc., were printed as news in your local newspaper. I suspect you'd need a whole truck just to bring you your single copy of the today's news. Now, of course I know that not every single bad incident makes its way into the news, so to be fair, my example should also suppose that every bad incident is reported along with every good incident. Still, it doesn't change the fact that the number of good, positive interactions happening every day is enormous. I think this counts as proof that diversity, per se, is not the cause of violence, and it is proof that human beings do not inevitably have to respond to diversity with hatred and aggression.

I'm also willing to bet that some of those healthy inter-cultural interactions that happened today were between people who, 30 years ago, might have hated each other if they had met, and they would have hated the idea of diversity. But today they take a variety of multicultural interactions in stride. I take this as evidence that inter-cultural hatred is not set in stone. People can change. Societies can become more tolerant. America is far from perfect but, in a lot of measurable ways, most Americans are far more comfortable with "other kinds of folks" today than they were 60 years ago.

Generally speaking, something makes the news when it is an exception - when it is out of the ordinary. Since ordinary, everyday occurrences generally don't become part of the daily news, you can't really judge the overall state of reality by looking at the daily news. Statistically, if you want to know what's going on, you don't use a small collection of weird, exceptional items for your sample population. That would be just plain silly. To really know what's going on, you want a big sample of the most ordinary stuff. The daily news simply does not give you this. It gives you a small skewed sample of the weirdest stuff - just the exact opposite of what a scientific sample would be.

So the bottom line is this: My evidence is the overwhelmingly huge number of mundane multicultural interactions that that are not incidence of hatred or violence.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:39 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,526,388 times
Rome flourished with a multi-cultural empire, until Constantine got his way.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:40 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,799,509 times
Diversity isn't just race there's lots of different types of people within each race and our country has a lot of different regions. There's a lot of prejudice against people from Appalachia mostly from the blue county lefties. How do they justify that? Take Philadelphia for example there's a lot of people that live there that look down on the people that live in the center part of PA which is pretty rural. Some of them call it Pennsyltucky which is their way of making fun of it..and Kentucky at the same time too I guess?

Old 01-18-2015, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Diversity isn't just race there's lots of different types of people within each race and our country has a lot of different regions. There's a lot of prejudice against people from Appalachia mostly from the blue state lefties. How do they justify that? Take Philadelphia for example a lot there's a lot of people that live there that look down on the people that live in the center part of PA which is pretty rural.
How do you know they're lefties? Everyone in Philadelphia is not a lefty.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:48 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,355,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbenator View Post
This is the greatest scam ever pushed by the Left. ANY nation's strength comes through their UNITY. Unity of CULTURE, a shared history, a shared set of values (the INDIVIDUAL is supreme over the State). This "diversity" is tearing the country apart.
Well, I'm from the U.S. where we haven't had a single culture since our existence. Yet, we've become one of the superpowers of the world. So that really throws out your theory.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:50 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,799,509 times
Quote:
Diversity isn't just race there's lots of different types of people within each race and our country has a lot of different regions. There's a lot of prejudice against people from Appalachia mostly from the blue county lefties. How do they justify that? Take Philadelphia for example there's a lot of people that live there that look down on the people that live in the center part of PA which is pretty rural. Some of them call it Pennsyltucky which is their way of making fun of it..and Kentucky at the same time too I guess?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
How do you know they're lefties? Everyone in Philadelphia is not a lefty.
That was just an example, however, the type of prejudice I'm referring to generally can be narrowed down to a certain demographic.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:56 PM

Quote:
That was just an example, however, the type of prejudice I'm referring to generally can be narrowed down to a certain demographic.
How do you know? Is it a secret?

Old 01-19-2015, 07:33 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Diversity, flexibility and adaptation are totally unrelated attributes.

Skin color does not make for diversity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
What? You are joking, right?

So you are saying that a community of people who have two skin colors will be more moral than a community with one skin color?

That's creative.
You're the one bringing up skin color to reply to posts that don't mention skin color? Is that your idea of being creative?

Old 01-19-2015, 07:38 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
But french to native Quebec(or what its original name was) is no more Quebec than Cantonese or Japanese. People say they are a diverse society, often when they mean a very limited spectrum of diversity.
So you consider having English as the main language of the U.S. or Australia to be illegitimate as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies