Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 09:07 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,870,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
I knew this was coming.

Charlie Hebdo responded to an attack with an attack, which was then met with another attack.

Just because you don't think the magazine cover is a big deal doesn't mean other people agree.

If you're dealing with an irrational person (in this case, the Muslims), antagonizing them doesn't work, in fact, it just makes everything worse.

I'm always surprised that more adults don't realize this.
No what's actually surprising is the muslim apologists breaking out any and all excuses for their irrational, fanatical AND evil stupidity.

If they can't or won't deal with it maybe they should stay in their backwards, stoneage, ignorant homelands and continue killing each other instead of bringing their BS to the West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 09:12 AM

18,464 posts, read 15,244,932 times
Quote:
I knew this was coming.

Charlie Hebdo responded to an attack with an attack, which was then met with another attack.

Just because you don't think the magazine cover is a big deal doesn't mean other people agree.

If you're dealing with an irrational person (in this case, the Muslims), antagonizing them doesn't work, in fact, it just makes everything worse.

They were standing up to bullies. Something that should be encouraged. Otherwise we should just let the bullies of the world run our lives. The people of the magazine were willing to put their own safety at risk to stand up for our most important right, the right that makes all other rights possible. Without free speech there can be no other freedoms.

What they did was very noble, and they should be celebrated. The murders should spark outrage. ANYONE who stands up to bullies, knows there may be consequences, but that doesn't mean that they were "asking for it". That doesn't justify the consequences.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:59 AM

17,614 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Quote:
I knew this was coming.

The laws in France say murder is illegal. When you choose to live in a particular country you must obey the laws of the country even if they run counter to your religious laws. Sure it is against Islamic law to make fun of Islam and their prophet. However, in non-Islamic countries that only applies to Muslims and even then, the punishment must fall within the laws of the country they reside within. In some Muslim countries insulting their faith is punishable by execution. But this isn't a Muslim country. You don't like what the paper publishes, write an angry letter to the publisher and don't buy the paper.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:07 PM

12,385 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical Paradox View Post
Because not all the muslims that emigrated want to implement sharia law. Enough do though that it causes a problem, so they should do better screening about the political religious opinions of people who immigrate. A desire to implement sharia law should be cause for deportation if they aren't yet a citizen.
I don't think screening to work. The dead and suspected terrorists seem to be the children of immigrants and prison converts more often than people border police can keep out.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:39 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,093,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Muslims in Philippines march against Charlie Hebdo

Religion of peace support terrorist
I think the reason we're seeing more support for this particular attack is because it was "provoked." I say provoked lightly because the punishment didn't seem to fit the crime. Unlike 9/11, which was not provoked, the Charlie Hebdo attack was provoked by publishing what they would call 'blasphemous material.'

Don't mistake this for me justifying what happened. The attack was on overreaction and I do not think the publishers of the magazine should be blamed for anything that happened. With that said, Muslims have a right to be offended by the magazine. This doesn't mean they can commit such extreme acts of violence, but they can voice their support in the general message the attack was supposed to get across.

I am a fan of free speech though. If a magazine wants to publish an ant-Islam joke, it's their call. If I find the joke in such poor tastes, I'd just not buy the magazine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical Paradox View Post
I never understood the people who emigrate from obviously repressive places, only to then try and make the place they emigrated to as oppressive as their home country.
The oppressed like to become the oppressors if they get the chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
So you're blaming the victim instead of the attacker. Guess it would be ok for a Christian to go on a rampage killing people because they insulted his religion, something that happens all the time on TV & movies. Christians either laugh off the insult or get angry and write a letter, email, or stop watching the TV show or movie. Muslims execute those who insult their religion. News flash for Muslims, Islamic laws only apply to Muslims, not infidels.
What is with people these days? Unless you agree with them 100%, you get labeled as some negative term.

I don't see how he was blaming the attack. He was looking at it from an extremely unbiased point of view. Had Charlie Hebdo not published the article, the attack would not have happened. This is fact. Of course, the attack shouldn't have happened at all, regardless of what was published, and I'm sure he'd agree with that. But it's important to understand everyone's point of view, even if the other side seems backwards and twisted. If we want to end the problem of radical Islam (and given how long we've been in the Middle East, and how new groups just keep magically appearing, I don't think we really do; instability means cheap oil and more need to produce and sell big weapons), we have to understand why they're doing what they do. This doesn't mean appease them or submit to them; but we have to understand them if we want peace.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:41 PM

29,513 posts, read 19,612,482 times
Quote:
I knew this was coming.

In the United States our freedom of expression allows people to burn the US flag. It happens often. Many people are seriously offended by it, including myself. Would you use the same rationale if some lunatics went on a killing spree because some group/organization burned the US flag? Somehow I don't believe there would be anyone trying to find rationale in that.

My point is, in a western society, we have rights to free expression. If you are not physically causing harm to someone, you have the right to express yourself whether other people like it or not. We should not cave in to bullies.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:50 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,525,531 times
Quote:
I knew this was coming.

Business-wise, it worked quite well.

I agree with what you wrote, but I also believe that the magazine has free-speech rights, as well as a right to earnings from operations. It's a fine line, IMO, but I have to side on the side of rights, even if the activity seems childish to many.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:34 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
Meh, Islam is out there for people to see. If they are too willfully blind at this point to realize what it is then they deserve what the future will bring.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:44 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Meh, Islam is out there for people to see. If they are too willfully blind at this point to realize what it is then they deserve what the future will bring.
Don't condemn all for a few.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:20 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Don't condemn all for a few.
I don't, but it's not "a few". It's muslims in the UK, in France, in Yemen, in Algeria, in Saudi Arabia... and on and on. 40 percent of muslims think it is okay to stone women to death for adultery. That's not "a few". Islam has a serious problem with extremists and fundamentalists and until that problem is remedied the religion as a whole should be viewed as extremely dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies