Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 08:45 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,989,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I mean no snark, here. Would you share with us some of the more recent regulations which require your compliance.

As an aside, I recently replaced my front door. Because my house is 50 years old, I had to disclose if I had any knowledge if the frame had ever tested positive for lead paint. The installer was then required to test the paint on the existing frame to determine if it contained lead paint. It did not.

This requirement meant the installer would not be exposed to lead paint and therefore could not make claim against his small business employer or me for lead poisoning, down the road.

So much of " red tape" came about as a result of prior litigation that clogs our legal systems.

I hate to disturb you but a lot of materials that were once in wide spread use turn out to be toxic , cause cancers, give you what we now call Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, cause nerve damage, ensure you offspring will be developmentally disabled, sterilize you etc etc etc. If you think this is such a good idea, so be it but don't go on the public dole as a consequence of getting a really costly medical problem.

There are tens of millions of Americans costing us hundreds of billions of dollars already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 09:10 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
I hate to disturb you but a lot of materials that were once in wide spread use turn out to be toxic , cause cancers, give you what we now call Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, cause nerve damage, ensure you offspring will be developmentally disabled, sterilize you etc etc etc. If you think this is such a good idea, so be it but don't go on the public dole as a consequence of getting a really costly medical problem.

There are tens of millions of Americans costing us hundreds of billions of dollars already.
I was not knocking the requirement for lead paint discloure/ testing. My experience as a consumer was that the disclosre and test took a matter of munutes. It was no big deal. The business owner however, miay have considered it a burden or an intrusion by big bad government.

While I have no doubt there are some goofy regulations, most have sound reasons and protect the business owner, workers and consumers.

Some who post here seriously resent authority of any kind .It's challenging to acquire an appreciation for what they deem a buden without specifics.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:16 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
I mean no snark, here. Would you share with us some of the more recent regulations which require your compliance.

As an aside, I recently replaced my front door. Because my house is 50 years old, I had to disclose if I had any knowledge if the frame had ever tested positive for lead paint. The installer was then required to test the paint on the existing frame to determine if it contained lead paint. It did not.

This requirement meant the installer would not be exposed to lead paint and therefore could not make claim against his small business employer or me for lead poisoning, down the road.

So much of " red tape" came about as a result of prior litigation that clogs our legal systems.
When you sell a house here you have to do a lead paint disclosure. I think it's based on when the house was built.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:26 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
Small businesses are not increasing much for a couple of reasons. The first is the continual onslaught of new regulations and rules coming from government. The second biggest discouragement is Obamacare. But it could also be that some new businesses are not showing up on the books. With so many rules and restrictions, I think there will be growth in the underground economy. Work will be off the books, untaxed and unregulated. Lawn care, home improvements, janitorial etc.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:28 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
When you sell a house here you have to do a lead paint disclosure. I think it's based on when the house was built.
Yes, there are a bevy of federal, state, county and municipality disclosures associated with the sale of property.

Again, my intent here is to better understand regulations that some consider a burden.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:50 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That is not killing small business. Requiring them to have the same mandates to operate as the multi-nationals and big corporates is what kills them before they even get off the ground.

Yeah, yeah, yeah..it's all done to keep you safe. Well it's the big boyz that get you sick isn't it ?
And they were the ones that called for heavy regulation against the small business owners.

And now the big boyz have fronts that are "small business" selling to the consumer and you folks are lapping it up.
I owned a small business for 17 years, and I had far fewer mandates than a large business of the same kind. I know that for a fact because after I closed my shop, I worked for a while for a large multi-state company doing the same job I did when I was my own boss.

Most of the mandates that any business must abide depends on the size of the biz. In my business, my insurance company laid down more mandates that the local government, state or feds ever did by far. The insurance company was also much readier to come and look my place over to see if they were being obeyed, too.

The fact is: the smaller the business, the more prone it is to suffering deeply when there is a recession or any downturn. The small businesses simply don't have the depth of resources or finances to keep them going through a prolonged recessionary period, and if a biz does survive, it will require a lot longer to become financially healthy again when the recession ends.

Things may be different in Texas, but I doubt Texas makes things over-difficult for small biz development. Most states do not, nor do most counties or cities. Trying to blame the hundreds of reasons why a small business owner quits is remarkably silly if the excuse is blaming government regulations. It simply ain't so, Joe.

If it was, the huge businesses wouldn't spend so much time and effort trying to find ways to dodge the regulations that size only creates. The fact is even most of them find it easier to abide rather than try to stack the regulation deck in their favor.

I fully expect to see smaller businesses take over as the paradigm of the 21st century. Once the banks that were too big to fail failed, they took down the big box model with them, along with a lot of the other late 20th century nonsense that came from becoming too big.

Don't expect the big guys to try to hang onto a losing business model for very long nowadays. All of a sudden there is the rest of the world that is ready to compete with them, and they know it. They never gained ground in the 20th century by dragging the small biz owners down; all they did was overpower them in the retail sector with prices and choices the little outfits couldn't match.

The retail sector is only one of many sectors in the business world. My entire career was supplying other businesses, so if a few businesses that used me caught a cold, I developed double pneumonia.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Yes, there are a bevy of federal, state, county and municipality disclosures associated with the sale of property.

Again, my intent here is to better understand regulations that some consider a burden.
I don't understand the need to understand them? Is it because you don't think its a burden and want to know why others think it is a burden? Burden to the customer or the owner of the business?

Old 01-20-2015, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I owned a small business for 17 years, and I had far fewer mandates than a large business of the same kind. I know that for a fact because after I closed my shop, I worked for a while for a large multi-state company doing the same job I did when I was my own boss.

Most of the mandates that any business must abide depends on the size of the biz. In my business, my insurance company laid down more mandates that the local government, state or feds ever did by far. The insurance company was also much readier to come and look my place over to see if they were being obeyed, too.

The fact is: the smaller the business, the more prone it is to suffering deeply when there is a recession or any downturn. The small businesses simply don't have the depth of resources or finances to keep them going through a prolonged recessionary period, and if a biz does survive, it will require a lot longer to become financially healthy again when the recession ends.

Things may be different in Texas, but I doubt Texas makes things over-difficult for small biz development. Most states do not, nor do most counties or cities. Trying to blame the hundreds of reasons why a small business owner quits is remarkably silly if the excuse is blaming government regulations. It simply ain't so, Joe.

If it was, the huge businesses wouldn't spend so much time and effort trying to find ways to dodge the regulations that size only creates. The fact is even most of them find it easier to abide rather than try to stack the regulation deck in their favor.

I fully expect to see smaller businesses take over as the paradigm of the 21st century. Once the banks that were too big to fail failed, they took down the big box model with them, along with a lot of the other late 20th century nonsense that came from becoming too big.

Don't expect the big guys to try to hang onto a losing business model for very long nowadays. All of a sudden there is the rest of the world that is ready to compete with them, and they know it. They never gained ground in the 20th century by dragging the small biz owners down; all they did was overpower them in the retail sector with prices and choices the little outfits couldn't match.

The retail sector is only one of many sectors in the business world. My entire career was supplying other businesses, so if a few businesses that used me caught a cold, I developed double pneumonia.
My experience is the opposite and you even mentioned it too as far as money. Small businesses can't cover the costs of regulation.
Why does the size of the business matter as far as the regulations being applicable or not? For the most part aren't regulations the same. I know the ones that concern safety are.

And as far as large businesses trying to dodge regulations? Who do you think helps with setting them? Big business does! And some profit from the regulations more than others.

Remember the New York ban on soft drinks? Starbucks gets special treatment too, as the ban arbitrarily exempts certain drinks containing “milk and milk substitutes.” Yet, the coffee chain’s 20-oz peppermint white chocolate mocha (legal) contains almost 50 percent more sugar than a 20-oz Coke (illegal).

The “Affordable Care Act” provides waivers to big corporations like Wal-Mart and McDonald’s, who—unlike their smaller rivals—can afford to keep squadrons of lobbyists in Washington to suggest favorable tweaks to the law.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:54 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Default Small Business Is Dying in the US

Maybe because bigger businesses are buying out competitors?

Old 01-20-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Maybe because bigger businesses are buying out competitors?
One way is check out small business start ups. I'm not saying you'll check it out since you rely on making things up instead of research "you mad bro you".

How many employees are needed to be considered small business? SBA says under 500. 450 employess doesn't seem like a small business. Even 50 is high for a Mom and Pop store imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies