Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 02:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Why hire a single mom with 4 kids to operate a cash register if you will penalize me for it?

Even with decent pay for a low skill entry opening she would qualify for food stamps.
That's right. Do that and employers have the right to question people about their finances and not offer them a job if they are the ones going to be penalized.

This thread is right up there for a darwin award.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 04:32 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,934,632 times
freemkt
"I have had zero desire ".

No one would argue against that valid point you made.

If you have no desire, why should anyone have some on YOUR behalf?

Old 01-17-2015, 06:03 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,504,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by good_topics View Post
In the year 2015 maybe about 25% of all jobs pay at a rate that allows full time workers to get government benefits. Even if the current people who are working in these jobs get training and move out of the low wage workplace someone else will take their place. So the argument that low wage workers just need to get more skills and education to move up does not really help the situation. Face it, no matter who is working in these jobs at any time, a large number of jobs in America pay under $10 an hour. And these are the jobs that are growing in today's economy. If you want a job, these are the jobs the typical American can get. And they are not jobs for kids and senior citizens anymore. Lots of the folks working at McDonalds are bring up a family on that job's income.

So, who should pay for the government benefits for the 25% of households whose primary bread winner is making $8 an hour or less than $20K a year?

Is it the responsibility of the employers of low wage labor? Or every taxpayer? Or should we just eliminate things like Food Stamps, reduced lunches at school, Medicaid, government paid housing, etc. for people who work?

Remember, someone is going to be doing these low wage jobs regardless of the hopes and dreams of people in them today.

No, the working poor, need two jobs and put in more hours, because they were not smart enough to stay in school and get an education.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:08 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,249,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Oh man here is the old way thinking. My friend don't you know that upward mobility is almost impossible today the worse it been in awhile, the example of this is in the income/wealth inenquality we see today. Where people who have two college degrees are busing tables and our jobs are being shipped overseas. The traditional goto college for 2/4 years and get a great paying job are not realities anymore for the majority. The only real alternative is to have capital and start your own company. But if you have
All my college friends have jobs, so that is a load of bull****. The only people having issues finding jobs are the ones with worthless degrees or ones in fields that have no growth. Try finding me someone with a degree in computers that can't find work, and then get back to me .

Old 01-17-2015, 06:12 PM

10,823 posts, read 14,898,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Oh man here is the old way thinking. My friend don't you know that upward mobility is almost impossible today the worse it been in awhile, the example of this is in the income/wealth inenquality we see today. Where people who have two college degrees are busing tables and our jobs are being shipped overseas. The traditional goto college for 2/4 years and get a great paying job are not realities anymore for the majority. The only real alternative is to have capital and start your own company. But if you have
The problem is many college degrees are worthless.

Fact is many are worse than worthless putting a student into a debt he can never pay off.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:18 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,675,147 times
Some degrees are just like skills that have no value to employer and the person can't sell it themselves by being self employed.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:45 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,727,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
All my college friends have jobs, so that is a load of bull****. The only people having issues finding jobs are the ones with worthless degrees or ones in fields that have no growth. Try finding me someone with a degree in computers that can't find work, and then get back to me .
Oh really do your friends reflect the almost 7% unemployment in this country? Further, tech jobs have been outsourced by the boatload the last decade. Whens the last time you called your cellphone company or get technical support for somthing broken? Ever found an english as a second language speaker? Yup that entry level tech degree is paying off. I don't care spout all the party lines you want the reality is our tech jobs/ white collar jobs are going overseas because its cheaper.

https://www.americanprogress.org/iss...s-outsourcing/

I can name 10 other sources that will say the same.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:48 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,727,548 times
^^^^^^^

Now you can blame the lazy workers because they don't want to go get a 4+ year college degree or get in debt five figures or you can put the blame where its suppose to go GREED!

Old 01-17-2015, 07:04 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,105,746 times
Quote:
So, who should pay for the government benefits for the 25% of households whose primary bread winner is making $8 an hour or less than $20K a year?
The stupid people who want them, should pay for them.

On Form 1040, 1040A and 1040EZ you can just put a little check box: Are you stupid enough to waste your tax dollars on lazy turds?

And then those idiots can pay an extra $5,000 in taxes to cover the bill.

Problem-solving...

Mircea

Old 01-17-2015, 07:06 PM

39,810 posts, read 26,403,608 times
Quote:
In the year 2015 maybe about 25% of all jobs pay at a rate that allows full time workers to get government benefits. Even if the current people who are working in these jobs get training and move out of the low wage workplace someone else will take their place. So the argument that low wage workers just need to get more skills and education to move up does not really help the situation. Face it, no matter who is working in these jobs at any time, a large number of jobs in America pay under $10 an hour. And these are the jobs that are growing in today's economy. If you want a job, these are the jobs the typical American can get. And they are not jobs for kids and senior citizens anymore. Lots of the folks working at McDonalds are bring up a family on that job's income.

Is it the responsibility of the employers of low wage labor? Or every taxpayer? Or should we just eliminate things like Food Stamps, reduced lunches at school, Medicaid, government paid housing, etc. for people who work?

Remember, someone is going to be doing these low wage jobs regardless of the hopes and dreams of people in them today.
I think YOU should start a business. One where the work is so basic and simple that it can be done by completely unskilled workers. Workers that have proven unwilling or unable to move beyond "burger flipper" jobs. You can pay them as much as you like. After all, business exists to provide for the employees. Run that business for a few years, then you can advise other businesses on how they might do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies