Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2015, 04:01 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Speak for yourself, I do not resent them.

I simply am against pretending that their labor is worth more than than reality says.
Unlike the lobbyists for pharmaceutical companies, who hire callgirls for congressmen so that their companies can charge outrages prices for cancer therapies.

Now THAT'S honorable, valuable work....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 04:03 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,384 times
[quote=marcopolo;38074486]Speak for yourself, I do not resent them.

I do not wish to speak for you. You own words speak volumes. How sad.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:03 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Sorry, but that doesn't address the real issue. Our young working families need help. The rich don't. You have no suggestions beyond sarcasm? Fine. Then get out if the way.
Just a little bit more... and that will do it.... and now just a little bit more and that will help.... we just need a little bit more, and that should work.... it never ends.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:05 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
No one is "forcing" anyone to do anything other than pay their fare share of taxes so that people DON'T have to go on welfare.

And come to think of it, just where would any government funding come from if not the public sector? Bake sales?
So why is it I was ignored when I said we need to start reporting people who work under the table to avoid taxes. There are many on welfare who do this and many throughout the middle class.

Pay your fair share!

Old 01-18-2015, 04:12 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexDigit View Post
It tells you Trumka's trying to kiss-and-make up w/ AFL-CIO's BCTD (Building and Construction Trades Department) while juggling reaction from other concerned departments (SEIU, CWA and USW).

Cute using Trumka and Clinton as signs we should protect Canadian profits using eminent domain operating on US soil to get tar sands to Asia.

Bring on those 35 permanent jobs!
That is a myth. Why on earth would we export cheap oil [to Asia] and import more expensive oil? Does that make sense to you?

The "35 permanent jobs" is another myth. And another thing which you conveniently neglected to mention is the high risk of transporting oil by rail, as it is being done now. You seem to forget that the oil is coming into the U.S. already, but it is being transported by rail to the refineries. Very risky. But Warren Buffet likes it, because it increases HIS profits (He is a friend of Obama's. hmmmm I wonder if there is a connection between that and Obama's stubborn refusal to support the pipeline? )

Old 01-18-2015, 04:26 PM

29,519 posts, read 19,612,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
When you spout Hyperbole like the first line of your post, its hard to believe that as you are intentionally demonizing an argument.
Are you saying that I don't believe in a progressive tax code?

Quote:
As for the ret of your post. If you honestly believe in a progressive tax system, then shouldnt we have a discussion on where to draw the line ????????

Any ideas? I'm all ears. How much more money do I have to shell out?

Quote:
Also, no one actually pays the marginal tax rate, after multiple loop holes,deductions , and the fact that you do not pay 39.8% on all your income, just your income over the thrush hold. They only end up paying around 25%(not including state).
True, most, including myself try to use as many of the built in loopholes as possible. That's what accountants are for. Why the **** should I give more of the money that I earned to the feds, when I would rather invest it for my children.

The effective tax rate of the top 1% was about 25%. So what is the effective tax rate for the middle?

Quote:
Federal Income Taxes on Middle-Income Families Remain Near Historic Lows
Quote:
The 5.3 percent rate (as well as the other rates discussed here for 2013 and other years) is the effective tax rate, or the percentage of its income that a family pays in taxes. It is well below the 15 percent marginal tax rate — the rate paid on a filer’s next dollar of income — that a family of four in the exact middle of the income spectrum faces.
http://www.cbpp.org/images/cms/4-14-10tax-f1.jpg
Federal Income Taxes on Middle-Income Families Remain Near Historic Lows — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

So do we have a progressive tax system in this country or don't we?

Quote:
The way Right wingers talk about taxed income in this country is a lie. The sad thing is, you could probably look at your own taxes and see that, but most people wouldnt even bother.
I know exactly what my wife and I (we file jointly) paid in income taxes last year to the feds. Over 65,000 dollars which was 28% of our gross income. Guess how much we got back from Uncle Sam. ZERO. We also owed the State of Illinois, nearly a grand. My wife and I are in the 33% bracket. Maybe I didn't pay enough in your eyes... Or maybe I need to get a better accountant.

I completely sympathize with the middle income earners. Taxes don't stop with the federal income taxes. Social Security and Medicare. How about the cost of Healthcare insurance? How about property taxes, which are insanely high in Chicagoland (the livable parts). I now pay nearly 15,000 a year just to live in a 3 bedroom 3 bath (attached garage) in the south suburbs.

Last edited by chicagogeorge; 01-18-2015 at 04:35 PM..

Old 01-18-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Just a little bit more... and that will do it.... and now just a little bit more and that will help.... we just need a little bit more, and that should work.... it never ends.
Another one trick pony. Dirtying the stable floor.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So why is it I was ignored when I said we need to start reporting people who work under the table to avoid taxes. There are many on welfare who do this and many throughout the middle class.

Pay your fair share!
Which is worse, earning a few bucks shoveling snow or hiring lawyers and lobbyists to guy the system? Put it into perspective: there's a big difference bewteen not having enough money to put food on the table and the dude above from Chicago who grossed $200K and cries the blues because he only gets to keep $120K.

Get real.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:52 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
It might be time to value and appreciate those skills.

The local deli clerk who gets your coffee and roll in the morning. You get a smile with that order.

The local fast food drive thru. They take your order, make suggestions, give you your total, and your order with a smile.

The person who cleans the public toilets you use. Perhaps the same person flips your burger. Who knows? I certainly appreciate a clean bathroom, especially when I travel.

The cashier at the grocery who listens to people blaming them for prices or a wrong price.

The person who folds the clothing strewn around the store. We do not like our stores messy, do we?

The kid putting gas in our cars, when it is freezing outside.

All valuable skills. Some one has to do those jobs. Yet we resent them for serving us with a smile.
Uh, no we don't "resent" them. This is a very simple concept that people seem to have a suspiciously hard time grasping. I think it must be them being willfully ignorant, because I can't see so many people not understanding supply and demand being able to tie their own shoes, so it must be a conscious effort to put emotions before logic.

Only a few people can perform brain surgery. Approximately 6 billion people can hand you a cup of coffee and smile. Therefore the brain surgeon makes more money than the waitress.

That's all there is to it. It is not exploiting the poor. It is not selfishness. It is not devaluing people. It is supply and demand. The less there is of something, the more it is worth. Simple. As soon as the number of people capable of operating a cash register drops to the same number of people capable of successfully running a multinational conglomerate, then the cashier will be paid the same amount as the CEO.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:58 PM

29,519 posts, read 19,612,482 times
Quote:
Which is worse, earning a few bucks shoveling snow or hiring lawyers and lobbyists to guy the system? Put it into perspective:there's a big difference bewteen not having enough money to put food on the table and the dude above from Chicago who grossed $200K and cries the blues because he only gets to keep $120K.

Get real.
I'm not crying the blues. I sympathize with lower income families because as a child I was there. My wife and I are Greek immigrants, (rather she is immigrant stock). Our families came here with jack ****. We both grew up in Albany Park Chicago (look it up).

Are you suggesting that I should be happy that the government didn't take more from us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies