Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 02:48 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitre View Post
Montana has Missoula and some nice lakes and Glacier national park and Yellow Stone and some cool native american things so its not that boring although outside Missoula my home town i would say the towns kind of lack culture and suck Missoula is the one cultural hub of the state and liberal strong hold we have plenty of nature though
They do appear to be lacking in English teachers.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:51 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Actually, I wouldn't mind living in any of those states. As long as it was in a city/urban area as I don't like rural/suburban areas.

But all those states are unique and I could find something to do in all of them. I also am not stuck on racial issues and most of the white people I know are cool people so I would't mind hanging with them as long as they were decent folks.

Some I already know about and wouldn't mind living there in a hot second are Kentucky (especially the Louisville area or metro Cincinnati area), Minnesota - I've been to MN and they have some unique urban areas, VA of course - a branch of my family is from VA so I especially wouldn't mind living there, Utah - I have met quite a few people from Salt Lake City and all of them were good people and I wouldn't mind living there due to me not ever having met someone from Salt Lake that I didn't like, Idaho - I have a good friend who lives in Boise and I wouldn't mind living there at all as she loves it.

The others, I don't know as much about but I wouldn't mind going there either. I have a good cyber friend who lives in Montana but she lives on a large swath of land out in the middle of beautiful country and like I said, I like cities so I don't know if I could do well in that sort of situation. New Hampshire - I love the reputation of that state as independent minded, so I think I would fit in well there. Vermont - cold, but beautiful and I'm sure I could adjust as long as I was in a city. Plus all the little NE states are pretty close to Boston for cultural outings.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:53 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
The people who think those states are boring are helpless urban drones who need someone else to entertain them.

I rest my case.
I think there is a lot to that. My impression is that people in urban areas watch other people do things for entertainment. Watch a movie. Watch a play. Watch a ball game. Look at some art. While in general people in more rural areas actually DO things. Go hiking. Ride an ATV, motorcycle or dirt bike through the mountains. Strap on skis go skiing. Grab the fly rod and go fishing, or the bow and go hunting. Or go to work on their house or property. Saw down some dead timber, clear brush, plow the (frickin') driveway. The urban idea of "fun"...just doesn't appeal to me.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:58 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I think there is a lot to that. My impression is that people in urban areas watch other people do things for entertainment. Watch a movie. Watch a play. Watch a ball game. Look at some art. While in general people in more rural areas actually DO things. Go hiking. Ride an ATV, motorcycle or dirt bike through the mountains. Strap on skis go skiing. Grab the fly rod and go fishing, or the bow and go hunting. Or go to work on their house or property. Saw down some dead timber, clear brush, plow the (frickin') driveway. The urban idea of "fun"...just doesn't appeal to me.
How is what you DO any different than what others DO? It's still DOING things, just different things. I live in the city but I still go hiking, kayaking, people go running, play soccer, etc. Are you saying you don't ever WATCH a movie or GO to a restaurant? All of it is DOING something.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:00 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,895 times
Montana!!!!!

Old 01-20-2015, 04:02 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
And I will stick to the beautiful state of Idaho.
Me, too. No place on earth i'd rather be.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:07 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
https://homes.yahoo.com/news/the-10-...201545833.html

Montana
Minnesota
Utah
Idaho
New Hampshire
Kentucky
Wyoming
Virginia
Maine
Vermont

.....looks dull cold boring and lacks diversity IMO.
Shocker.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:28 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Shocker.
So what is the point?

Old 01-20-2015, 05:22 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,520,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Looks like a list of ten states where you'd have to drive for an hour to get a delicious breakfast of huevos rancheros. And in a couple of those states.... you'd be in another state after an hour. No thanks.
Boy, do you sure not know what you're talking about. Typical foolish and ignorant urbanite.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:25 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Outside of NOVA, there is no chance I'd live in them, as they offer little culturally.
Why NoVA? I live here and it is self-absorbed and smug if you happen to not have a college degree. It is also a gridlocked mess and a yuppie wasteland. Being a blue region of the state it is a bit segregated. Nowhere near as segregated as DC, but kind of culturally segregated. If I can move my job, I would rather be moving West of Lessburg or even as far as Winchester. I prefer Frederick, MD if I'm honest but the people who run MD suck. It's nice to know that I am living in a safe state though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies