Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 05:21 PM

122 posts, read 95,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhm...our defense budget is right in line with the world average

our CURRENT defense budget is only 4.1% of our GNP....china spends 3.9% of its gdp on military.......right in comparison with the rest of the world at 2-6%

france's defense budget is 500 million euro...while their gdp is about 1.4 trillion.....our spending is 670 billion with a gdp of 16+ trillion.....so france actually spends MORE as a percentage of their gdp

defense spending as a % of GDP puts us at #27meaning 26 other countries spend MORE than us on their military as a percent of their gdp

we cut our military personnel nearly in half in the 90's..and it made it more difficult to do their jobs

from 2008 to present

defense spending has increased 16%....... 593b to 673b
medicare spending has increase 29%....... 386b to 598b
medicaid spending has increased 44%..... 201b to 339b.....medicare/ciad makes up over 800 billion of our spending and is INCREASED big time each year
ss spending has increased 17% ........ 612B to 820b

the budget 'projects' the costs yearly for 10 years beyond

fy 15(this current year)

ss federal COST will be................ 900 billion
mediCARE federal COST will be...... 650 billion
mediCAID federal cost will be........ 400 billion

for a total of just those 3.........over 2 trillion A YEAR, and rising every year
Then a nation with a $100 trillion gdp should be spending $4 trillion on it's military? How is it more expensive to protect larger gdp's? I know there's an arms race - especially with hypersonic missiles - but I think the government should also be supporting the stability of the nation it's defending. Bankrupted cities and millions of homeless people is NOT what I call stability - it's what I call an epic accident with a lot of American casualties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Agreed...the military industrial complex had no small part in helping to destroy our country.

And the MIC only benefits the 1% yet again, like all partnerships between Government and nation-less corporations-from banking to war to prisons to corporate agriculture to healthcare to education.

Not only do some right wingers blame the poor for being poor but they cannot bring themselves to blame those in power for the state of things-they blame the poor for that too. It's pathetic.
Russia had the same problem with the Tsars. If the government keeps it's head in the sand much longer, America will become an epic accident. And there won't be enough gdp in the whole world to put it back together again.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:41 PM

766 posts, read 1,388,218 times
Here's an idea (maybe it's a dumb one?)..... Let's make some sort of "fair/flat/whatever you want to call it" tax. The FEDS get a straight 15% INCOME tax, across the board. No more April 15th filing crap. No more special deductions/exemptions, whatever. EVERYBODY pays the piper! No more special favors.

Then the States get a straight, across the board SALES tax.

Something as simple as that.... and we just eliminated a huge chunk of the IRS (at the state and local levels both).

By doing it this way... No more tax loopholes. No more tax evasion. It's real simple.... every payday, we get our paycheck, just like we always have. Except this time.... we don't get some sort or refund or pay in at the end of the year. No more Accountants! No more Turbo Tax! No more saving our documents for 10 yrs! No more 2,000 pgs explaining the tax codes.

Simplify.... simplify... simplify

Old 01-21-2015, 06:31 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,439,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
There is nothing touchy feely about what I said.
Your post was populist hogwash and nothing else. Mindless trash designed to make the poor look noble and persecuted.
Quote:
The rest of your post is trickle down nonsense.
"Nonsense" which you cannot refute because you have nothing but emotions backing up what you say.

Last edited by kidkaos2; 01-21-2015 at 06:42 PM..

Old 01-21-2015, 06:48 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,571,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post

Well, if someone earns that much and spends it on luxury, it is silly to say they can't afford to pay more taxes. What's next, millionaires asking for food stamps because they are spending all their income on penthouses and yachts?
^^^ Liberals as usual thinking they have a right to tell others how much they are allowed to earn and spend.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:59 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,571,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
If they get taxed more, when they already don't make very much, to pay their fair share, then wouldn't that result in less take home pay, less money to live off of, and thus they'll be even more broke.
So what? Maybe you would get a clue to how wasteful and greedy government is if it hit you in the pocket. I have as much sympathy as you do for those you want to carry your share of the load.

Quote:
at my last job I was shocked at how much the recent grads were taxed on their already meager salaries. They all made $14.50 an hour, and we live in the east coast so it wasn't as if that was enough to live off of as is but they were taxed like crazy-one guy that I trained told me about how much was deducted from his check and I was surprised.
That money is taken out before you even get it. A little at a time, so you don't notice how much it adds up.

Why demand others pay more, why not demand government spend less.

Quote:
This group-of recent grads-well they are in the bottom 50 percent. If they pay even more in taxes then I suspect they would take even longer to leave mom and dads couch and get on there feet.
And you thought paying taxes is cool. No sympathy, you just love big government, you bought into the liberal rhetoric, you get what you deserve.

Quote:
I hate when people abuse the system too, but come on, the bottom percentage that isn't paying fair share is probably pretty broke as is.
Playing the violin. You think big government is good. Pay your fair share. Charging one 10% and another 35% and demanding more, is liberal version of fair?

Old 01-21-2015, 08:35 PM

139 posts, read 249,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springazure View Post
Here's an idea (maybe it's a dumb one?)..... Let's make some sort of "fair/flat/whatever you want to call it" tax. The FEDS get a straight 15% INCOME tax, across the board. No more April 15th filing crap. No more special deductions/exemptions, whatever. EVERYBODY pays the piper! No more special favors.

Then the States get a straight, across the board SALES tax.

Something as simple as that.... and we just eliminated a huge chunk of the IRS (at the state and local levels both).

By doing it this way... No more tax loopholes. No more tax evasion. It's real simple.... every payday, we get our paycheck, just like we always have. Except this time.... we don't get some sort or refund or pay in at the end of the year. No more Accountants! No more Turbo Tax! No more saving our documents for 10 yrs! No more 2,000 pgs explaining the tax codes.

Simplify.... simplify... simplify
I think it should be even simpler than that. I think there should just be a flat sales tax and no income tax. Then you would never have to worry about tax evasion.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:33 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,607,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_more_handouts View Post
I think it should be even simpler than that. I think there should just be a flat sales tax and no income tax. Then you would never have to worry about tax evasion.
Hopefully the 1% will buy 250 Lamborghinis a year to provide some equality in taxation for the poor ******* who gets the Ford Fiesta, 5 spd.

Being that there's 99 poor people for every rich person, wouldn't that mean the 99 poor are paying for all the one rich guy?

There's only so much money in circulation, why should 1% keep it all?

Old 01-22-2015, 12:43 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,135,971 times
Quote:
The bottom 50% pays little or no taxes. These people need to start carrying their own weight and stop relying on the rest of us to pick up the slack for them. I didn't suffer through all those years of college just so I could hand over more of my money to cover their portion of the tax revenue. I'm sick of dragging all this dead weight around.

to hell with the bottom 50%. when is congress and its retirees going to pay their fair shares?

Old 01-22-2015, 04:38 AM

37 posts, read 42,864 times
Quote:
The bottom 50% pays little or no taxes. These people need to start carrying their own weight and stop relying on the rest of us to pick up the slack for them. I didn't suffer through all those years of college just so I could hand over more of my money to cover their portion of the tax revenue. I'm sick of dragging all this dead weight around.
Threads like this are started every day, in every forum on the internet, and I don't think they'll ever stop pissing me off. So kudos to the OP, I guess.

If you would like to lash out, is it too much to ask that you direct it at those that are actually gaming the system? The "bottom 50%" does not equal shiftless, lazy, unemployed, scammer, or mooch. I'm sure you are aware that almost the entire enlisted corps of the military falls in the bottom 50%, as well as those that have been discharged due to injury. Are we mooches?

You "suffered" through college? Cry me a river. I "suffered" through 9 years of deployments, ultimately causing catastrophic injury and almost total disability to myself in the process. I'm currently "suffering" through college. Guess what, pal? College ain't all that f----ng tough.

These threads inevitably bring the tired phrase, "Everyone should have skin in the game". I'll go one better: Everyone should have their ass on the line. If you never have, don't presume to tell strangers about the dead weight that you've dragged around.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:44 AM

6,353 posts, read 6,213,062 times
Quote:

Well that is obvious. You create threads on the same exact topic almost daily. You must be a real joy to be around IRL.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies