Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2015, 01:47 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Yes, the tax that makes everyone pay the same % of income is not fair

Do you hear yourself?
Exactly, it is not fair. Since you don't seem to understand why, let me push the logic to the extreme in order to illustrate: Imagine someone earned only 200 dollars a month and the cheapest apartment was 200 dollars a month, they could not afford to rent any apartment if they had to pay any tax on those 200 dollars they earn.
Thus there needs to be an income limit below which people pay no taxes. It is like that in almost all countries around the world. Oddly, only in the US do people seem to struggle with that obvious solution. I have never heard such an absurd discussion in Europe. The only question is where to put that threshold, not whether or not to put it.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:49 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You don't really want that. There are those earning 6 or even 7 figures living paycheck to paycheck because they spend all their income on "that which is needed for life... food, shelter, clothing, power, etc." They could very legitimately claim to be exempt from taxes under your "needed for life" scenario.
Dude, if you need 6 or 7 figures to pay for shelter, clothing, power and food you're doin' something wrong.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:51 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Wow. No. The stat refers to 50% of tax filers. Very few children file tax returns.

Again, earning very little so paying very little tax, and earning a LOT so paying a LOT of tax, is fair. Well, a modified form of fair. Absolute fairness would be for everyone to split the costs of our government equally.
Ah! So after 50-some pages of railing against the 50%, I finally get an explaination of what 50% you're talking about.
It's 50% of people who have actual income.
It has nothing to do with welfare mommas nor lazy food stamp recipients at all.
It's really about closing the loopholes in the tax code. Is that all this is about?

If that's the case, I'm all for it. Close some loopholes. I'd love to see the fat cat who uses his Cadillac Escalade as a business expense get shut down and other loopholes too varied to mention.

Only one's I know for the average middle class family are the child credit and the home mortgage interest deduction.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Prove that the facts I posted are incorrect.
Blaming people with the least amount of power in this country for the ills that plague our society is downright stupid. Stop reaching.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:52 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Dude, if you need 6 or 7 figures to pay for shelter, clothing, power and food you're doin' something wrong.
If someone is in fact spending their entire income on "that which is needed for life... food, shelter, clothing, power, etc." they should be exempt from taxes. That's the argument liberals make.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:55 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
If someone is in fact spending their entire income on "that which is needed for life... food, shelter, clothing, power, etc." they should be exempt from taxes. That's the argument liberals make.
What about beer?

Old 01-23-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Ah! So after 50-some pages of railing against the 50%, I finally get an explaination of what 50% you're talking about.
It's 50% of people who have actual income.
It has nothing to do with welfare mommas nor lazy food stamp recipients at all.
What makes you think having an income precludes receiving public assistance?

Quote:
If that's the case, I'm all for it. Close some loopholes. I'd love to see the fat cat who uses his Cadillac Escalade as a business expense get shut down and other loopholes too varied to mention.
I see you've not heard of the AMT.

https://www.fidelity.com/taxes/tax-t...ve-minimum-tax

Those supposed "loopholes" benefit the lower and middle income earners much more than they benefit high income earners.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:56 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
I told you before that those people enjoy LUXURY, abusing the word NEED there is absurd and an insult to the NEEDY.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
And of course you take that idea and twist it to fit some ridiculous idea of an analogy.

Fail.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Blaming people with the least amount of power in this country for the ills that plague our society is downright stupid.
Are they not doing what I stated they're doing? It's quite clear they're creating their own problems.

It reminds me of the classic Bio 101 experiment in which bacteria is grown in a petri dish in a nourishing medium, and therefore overpopulates to the point of making it very difficult for the bacteria to continue to survive as the resource (nourishing medium) is used up by the exponentially increasing bacteria population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies