Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 08:47 AM

276 posts, read 330,612 times

Advertisements

I believe that MLK Day and Columbus Day should be gone from federal holidays and be replaced with Good Friday and Easter Monday just like vast majority of other industrial/western countries. Indeed, even some non-majority Christian countries with secular government and even stricter separation of church/state than us observes Good Friday (and in some cases Easter Monday as well). There are secular reasons for the observance of those two holidays, and we are in need of a spring holiday. Some individual states already observe Good Friday as a state holiday where the state offices and DMV's are closed, as do many public schools close on it so there is no conflict with 1st Amendment as long as you provide a secular reason for the observance.

MLK and Columbus Day are of course important people in history, but there have been many important people throughout history as well. We cannot pick and choose which people to honor or not. Observing Christian high holidays (observed by many non-Christians in secular tradition) is part of the western world and globalization.

Last edited by -Valentino-; 01-19-2015 at 09:13 AM..

Old 01-19-2015, 08:49 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
I do not get MLK, President's or Veteran's Day off, but I do get Good Friday and 2.5 days at Christmas off.

In Ohio, getting Good Friday off and not getting MLK off is quite common.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:10 AM

3,320 posts, read 4,130,500 times
I think St Patrick's Day, St Valentines Day, and Halloween have more cultural significance for more people in the US, than many other legal holidays. Not saying to give the devil a legal holiday, but really those days I just mentioned have so many more people that recognize them and have activities planned around them, they are more of a holiday than MLK, Columbus Day, Presidents Day.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:14 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
I believe that MLK Day and Columbus Day should be gone from federal holidays and be replaced with Good Friday and Easter Monday just like vast majority of other industrial/western countries. Indeed, even some non-majority Christian countries with secular government and even stricter separation of church/state than us observes Good Friday (and in some cases Easter Monday as well). There are secular reasons for the observance of those two holidays, and we are in need of a spring holiday. Some individual states already observe Good Friday as a state holiday where the state offices and DMV's are closed, as do many public schools close on it so there is no conflict with 1st Amendment as long as you provide a secular reason for the observance.

MLK and Columbus Day are of course important people in history, but there have been many important people throughout history as well. We cannot pick and choose which people to honor or not. Observing Christian high holidays (observed by many non-Christians in secular tradition) is part of the western world and globalization.

yes we can pick and choose, we already did. if you want easter and good friday to be holidays start the process I doubt you would get much support.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
I think St Patrick's Day, St Valentines Day, and Halloween have more cultural significance for more people in the US, than many other legal holidays. Not saying to give the devil a legal holiday, but really those days I just mentioned have so many more people that recognize them and have activities planned around them, they are more of a holiday than MLK, Columbus Day, Presidents Day.
True, but none of those days are national holidays in any country in the world (except St. Patrick's Day in Ireland). Good Friday & Easter holidays are much more observed and more important worldwide in terms of celebration, globalization and national holidays.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
yes we can pick and choose, we already did. if you want easter and good friday to be holidays start the process I doubt you would get much support.
Why not? 78% of Americans are Christians and observe the holidays. Financial/Stock market is already closed on Good Friday as well, and little/no business done in most of the world because most countries observe Good Friday and Easter Monday nationally. We also need a holiday in spring; currently there is none between President's Day and Memorial Day (3 months)!

Old 01-19-2015, 09:21 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
True, but none of those days are national holidays in any country in the world (except St. Patrick's Day in Ireland). Good Friday & Easter holidays are much more observed and more important worldwide in terms of celebration, globalization and national holidays.
Other countries have national holidays that aren't holidays here: Boxing Day springs immediately to mind.

Some U.S. states have holidays that aren't holidays in all U.S. states.

Some people get some days off, other people get other days off.

As has been noted, if you want change, start a petition.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:25 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Why not? 78% of Americans are Christians and observe the holidays. Financial/Stock market is already closed on Good Friday as well, and little/no business done in most of the world because most countries observe Good Friday and Easter Monday nationally. We also need a holiday in spring; currently there is none between President's Day and Memorial Day (3 months)!
What dates would you pick to celebrate Good Friday, Easter and Easter Monday?

Not every Christian in the world celebrates those on the same dates as the U.S.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:27 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
I believe that MLK Day and Columbus Day should be gone from federal holidays and be replaced with Good Friday and Easter Monday just like vast majority of other industrial/western countries....
Uh..... congratulations?

I assume you get vacation days from your employer, no? Or, likely, even a "floating holiday" to be used on the day of your choice.

You go right ahead and take Good Friday and the Monday after Easter off, tiger. I fully support your decision to do so.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:28 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
This again? How many times does this "we're a christian nation and should only observe christian holidays" crap need to be posted?
I know you're a "new" poster, but a quick search would turn up "previous posters" threads on the same topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies