Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 08:45 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,271,700 times

Advertisements

I'm not saying JFK was bad for what he did......I'm a hawk when it comes to the military and against our enemies.........I'm saying since he died many in left tried to make a legend of a very flawed man and leader to something he wasn't.........like JFK was a dove and if he didn't die there wouldn't have been a Vietnam war.....JFK was more Hawkish and anti-communist than Eisenhower and Nixon.....no way would JFK would let the communist under Soviet support take over South Vietnam under his watch. He would have use the military like LBJ did. He would have waited after re-election in 1964 but he was already building up the military and raised the military advisers from 500 under Eisenhower to over 16,000 under his command by 1963 and gave the order to assassinate South Vietnam president, you don't do that if you are going to leave South Vietnam peacefully . You don't put a condom on if you are not going to screw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 08:50 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Here’s the one reason ‘Selma’ was snubbed by the Oscars | Glenn Beck

I believe he was an evil evil man.....whats your take

and for those of you who absolutely hate Beck, the article was written by a man named Wilson and Glenn found it
I got over Beck;s act several years ago. Talk about your phonies!

As for LBJ, I have a lot of issues with him, but he grew up dirt poor and clawed his way to the top. In that process he never forgot where he cam from. As misdirected as he was, he operated from experience, not dogma.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:06 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Here’s the one reason ‘Selma’ was snubbed by the Oscars | Glenn Beck

I believe he was an evil evil man.....whats your take

and for those of you who absolutely hate Beck, the article was written by a man named Wilson and Glenn found it
You call that an article? I've seen business cards with more words on them. But on the plus side I didn't have to waste much time.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:33 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
Of course JFK increased the defense budget. We had the Berlin Crisis and the threat of nuclear war hanging over our heads. Here is how he wanted to spend the money:

John F. Kennedy: Special Message to the Congress on the Defense Budget.

The Eisenhower administration did send planes and advisors to aid the French in Indochina, as did President Truman, and Ike did prepare to launch an air strike (Operation Vulture) to relieve the French at Dien Bien Phu. The operation was cancelled, though, because it didn't have British support, and Ike was reluctant to involve American pilots or ground forces. I give him credit for that decision. Later this administration provided money, helicopters, and advisors to back President Diem.

On the surface, this President seemed bent on keeping American men and women out of foreign entanglements, although he did send the Marines into Lebanon in 1958, where one life was lost. (He also ordered my unit to the coast of Viet Nam in 1960, where we were supposed to cross into Laos to fight the Pathet Lao. He cancelled that operation, too, at the last minute.) What I have a problem with is his famous "falling domino" speech in 1954. While Eisenhower didn't originate the Domino Theory, he embraced it. Later, he warned JFK that Republicans in Congress would not tolerate any retreat in Southeast Asia.

I believe that President Eisenhower was a very strong link in the chain that got us involved in SEA.
Absolutely.

Ike and the Dulles Brothers fingerprints are ALL OVER the Vietnam War....as are Kennedy's.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:05 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,271,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
!

As for LBJ, I have a lot of issues with him, but he grew up dirt poor and clawed his way to the top. In that process he never forgot where he cam from. As misdirected as he was, he operated from experience, not dogma.

so did Hitler and Stalin.....both grew up dirt poor and clawed their way to the top.....is that a good virtue?

maybe somebody should have given LBJ some money growing up, he could have been a better leader.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:51 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
I'm not saying JFK was bad for what he did......I'm a hawk when it comes to the military and against our enemies.........I'm saying since he died many in left tried to make a legend of a very flawed man and leader to something he wasn't.........like JFK was a dove and if he didn't die there wouldn't have been a Vietnam war.....JFK was more Hawkish and anti-communist than Eisenhower and Nixon....
This is all true, but he was also credibly quoted as saying that the Vietnamese hate us, that they would kick us out one day, but he had to make sure we didn't lose the war before the 1964 election.

There is no necessary contradiction between being a hawk and recognizing a losing battle when you see it.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:07 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
kennedy had NO PLANS to pull out

Old 01-21-2015, 04:36 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LBJ was no angel, and in fact could be a terrible SOB when he wanted to be. He was a bully that had no problem browbeating his fellow senators when he was the Majority leader. And i mean PHYSICALLY as well as a tongue lashing.

The flipside is that he would back down if he got strong pushback and he knew who he could and couldn't mess with. When he tried to work his way back into Senate power while still being the Vice President, Mike Mansfield told him to get the hell out of the Senate and don't come back unless he was called. The Kennedy Men in the White House OPENLY pushed him around and showed overt contempt for him.

But "evil" is a bit strong. He was certainly no more evil than his predecessors. You can make a case that Kennedy was far more evil than Johnson ever was.
The funny thing was, Kennedy hated Johnson and only picked him for the southern vote.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:41 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
The funny thing was, Kennedy hated Johnson and only picked him for the southern vote.
that happens a lot

Reagan hated the more liberal bush1, but picked him for the moderate republican stance (mistake IMHO)

even Obama doesn't really like footinmouth biden,

Old 01-21-2015, 04:56 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
If you want to know more about LBJ, Robert Caro wrote a series of books about him.

I remember the peaceniks' "Hey, hey LBJ, how many kids did you kill today." I also remember his speech saying he wasn't going to run for another term. Actually, I don't associate MLK with any president. I remember the march on Washington and the I have a dream speech. I've been to the Lorraine motel location where King was shot. I was a junior in high school in NY when that happened. I watched those things on the nightly news. Now that I know what a biased bunch of jokers comprise the national news media, who knows if the info I got when I was a teen was unbiased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies