Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 05:31 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If you want to know more about LBJ, Robert Caro wrote a series of books about him.

I remember the peaceniks' "Hey, hey LBJ, how many kids did you kill today." I also remember his speech saying he wasn't going to run for another term. Actually, I don't associate MLK with any president. I remember the march on Washington and the I have a dream speech. I've been to the Lorraine motel location where King was shot. I was a junior in high school in NY when that happened. I watched those things on the nightly news. Now that I know what a biased bunch of jokers comprise the national news media, who knows if the info I got when I was a teen was unbiased.
good post, thank you.....

I've become so skeptical of the news and media, it comes down to what your reading is simply someone else's opinion....however, LBJ in my view, was an evil man who worked for the corporations, and not America. I knew quite a few peaceniks, that fled to Canada, and there I was torn in the middle, unable to march against the war, b/c my brother was fighting over there...I think it went down in history as the most unpopular war in American history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 06:00 AM

13,307 posts, read 7,864,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
I'm not saying JFK was bad for what he did......I'm a hawk when it comes to the military and against our enemies.........I'm saying since he died many in left tried to make a legend of a very flawed man and leader to something he wasn't.........like JFK was a dove and if he didn't die there wouldn't have been a Vietnam war.....JFK was more Hawkish and anti-communist than Eisenhower and Nixon.....no way would JFK would let the communist under Soviet support take over South Vietnam under his watch. He would have use the military like LBJ did. He would have waited after re-election in 1964 but he was already building up the military and raised the military advisers from 500 under Eisenhower to over 16,000 under his command by 1963 and gave the order to assassinate South Vietnam president, you don't do that if you are going to leave South Vietnam peacefully . You don't put a condom on if you are not going to screw.
The Viet Nam War was more egregious of trespass than Hitler's invasion of Poland.

About a thousand-fold more.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
good post, thank you.....

I've become so skeptical of the news and media, it comes down to what your reading is simply someone else's opinion....however, LBJ in my view, was an evil man who worked for the corporations, and not America. I knew quite a few peaceniks, that fled to Canada, and there I was torn in the middle, unable to march against the war, b/c my brother was fighting over there...I think it went down in history as the most unpopular war in American history.
The guy thought he was Caesar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TKK6d3-h2U

Old 01-21-2015, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
The guy thought he was Caesar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TKK6d3-h2U
makes me so sad, even today, to remember how many of our boys died b/c of him....
and what it did to my brother....

Old 01-21-2015, 09:09 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
so did Hitler and Stalin.....both grew up dirt poor and clawed their way to the top.....is that a good virtue?

maybe somebody should have given LBJ some money growing up, he could have been a better leader.
They had lots of money...his dad ended up losing it all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
The funny thing was, Kennedy hated Johnson and only picked him for the southern vote.
Yep. A wise triangulation on his part.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:15 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
LBJ wound up on the list of the top ten wealthiest US presidents in history. All of the others had obvious sources of wealth. Several were land barons early in the history of the nation (Washington, Madison, Tyler, Jackson, and Jefferson). Some were trust fund babies (both Roosevelts, Kennedy). Hoover was an engineer and entrepreneur.

According to Wikipedia Clinton has now surpassed Tyler on the strength of speaking fees.
List of United States Presidents by net worth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of the 10, only LBJ has very murky sources as to the origins of his wealth. No one seems to quite know for sure how LBJ amassed his wealth.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
LBJ wound up on the list of the top ten wealthiest US presidents in history. All of the others had obvious sources of wealth. Several were land barons early in the history of the nation (Washington, Madison, Tyler, Jackson, and Jefferson). Some were trust fund babies (both Roosevelts, Kennedy). Hoover was an engineer and entrepreneur.

According to Wikipedia Clinton has now surpassed Tyler on the strength of speaking fees.
List of United States Presidents by net worth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of the 10, only LBJ has very murky sources as to the origins of his wealth. No one seems to quite know for sure how LBJ amassed his wealth.
I thought he married Lady Bird who was majorly into Bell Helicopters.

Or was it Brown & Root?

Or both.

Six of one, half dozen of the other.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
Of course JFK increased the defense budget. We had the Berlin Crisis and the threat of nuclear war hanging over our heads. Here is how he wanted to spend the money:

John F. Kennedy: Special Message to the Congress on the Defense Budget.

The Eisenhower administration did send planes and advisors to aid the French in Indochina, as did President Truman, and Ike did prepare to launch an air strike (Operation Vulture) to relieve the French at Dien Bien Phu. The operation was cancelled, though, because it didn't have British support, and Ike was reluctant to involve American pilots or ground forces. I give him credit for that decision. Later this administration provided money, helicopters, and advisors to back President Diem.

On the surface, this President seemed bent on keeping American men and women out of foreign entanglements, although he did send the Marines into Lebanon in 1958, where one life was lost. (He also ordered my unit to the coast of Viet Nam in 1960, where we were supposed to cross into Laos to fight the Pathet Lao. He cancelled that operation, too, at the last minute.) What I have a problem with is his famous "falling domino" speech in 1954. While Eisenhower didn't originate the Domino Theory, he embraced it. Later, he warned JFK that Republicans in Congress would not tolerate any retreat in Southeast Asia.

I believe that President Eisenhower was a very strong link in the chain that got us involved in SEA.
Totally agree with you, this was so true, my entire family stayed close to what was going on, b/c my brother was of age to go over there, which he did after LBJ signed the bill.
And yes, Kennedy didn't want us in there, even though we were aiding the French to some degree....but we were not officially over there until LBJ took over, and then my brother and so many boys went over and so many ran to Canada....yes, you are absolutely correct. Thank you

Old 01-22-2015, 05:48 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,474,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Totally agree with you, this was so true, my entire family stayed close to what was going on, b/c my brother was of age to go over there, which he did after LBJ signed the bill.
And yes, Kennedy didn't want us in there, even though we were aiding the French to some degree....but we were not officially over there until LBJ took over, and then my brother and so many boys went over and so many ran to Canada....yes, you are absolutely correct. Thank you
kennedy DID want us in there

Was John Kennedy Going to Pull Out of Vietnam?

this is an interview with RFK in 1964

Quote:
snips:

Kennedy:Yeah, but, you know, he's frequently taken that, those, that line or that position on some of these matters. I don't think that the fact he has an independent view from the executive branch of the government, particularly in Southeast Asia, indicates that the lines aren't straight. I, no, I just, I think every. . . . I, the president felt that the. . . . He had a strong, overwhelming reason for being in Vietnam and that we should win the war in Vietnam

Martin:There was never any consideration given to pulling out?

Kennedy:No.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
kennedy DID want us in there

Was John Kennedy Going to Pull Out of Vietnam?

this is an interview with RFK in 1964
I don't care what you say, I lived it, and breathed it, and remember...and I don't care who wrote or said what...Kennedy did not want us in there....he was against going to war at that time...that was one of the reasons he was killed. So, do you really think, I'm going to believe what others perceived it to be? I don't think so....

Yanno, in all the years I've been in this forum, every once in a while someone cries, Prove it, I want to see proof...so, we go into the internet, and grab some stuff off the internet, and then we're told, "Oh, well, who would believe Fox news? Or who would believe that news source....its all according to who believes what and their perception of the situation.

as I wrote before, my dad and I disgussed this and watched this closely b/c my brother was of age to go...and after Kennedy was murdered, my dad said, LBJ will have us over there. And he did!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies