Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For those who are in the middle class, or even in the upper middle class, how did you come to your e
I have a trust fund. 3 2.21%
My parents are well off and purchased be a home and continue to fund me through giving me money or a job that I would not have earned on my own. 4 2.94%
I went to college and then to work for a company that is not affiliated with my family. 89 65.44%
I did not go to college, but worked after high school and moved up in salary to my current lifestyle. 31 22.79%
Other (lottery, lawsuit, etc) 9 6.62%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 01:13 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,578,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Unbelievable that people place so much emphasis on LUCK.
You realize that sometimes a job can fall into your lap simply because of someone you know, right? Or you were somewhere at the right time & place? I call that some luck. YOU are the one placing all the emphasis on luck, no one else is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 01:17 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,524,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
people are stupid, lying, or just blind

Almost 90% of you won the lottery

Here is the lotteries you won:

Lottery of birth
- parents
-parents education
-parents income
-parents drive/etc
- your school (highschool)
-location (united states and or western countries)
- skin color (i.e white is a big win versus other colors)

Then the lottery of luck
- getting the right job; going ot the right school; getting the A; not being hit by a car; etc

60% of being successful is birth lottery
30% is your own initiative (not necessarily intelligence)
10% is pure luck

you stand where you are because you stand on the backs of giants

there is definitely some truth here. i have to admit i was essentially raised middle class, even though my mom had personal failings. things didn't really get awful until i was a young adult, so i had lived in the nice neighborhood and went to the good schools already.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/23/bu...says.html?_r=0

Old 01-21-2015, 01:18 PM

13,985 posts, read 5,648,489 times
Quote:
Today I woke up and "hoped" I would get a million dollars. LOL, that HOPE thingy isn't working so well. But that didn't stop Obama from using HOPE to attract his followers. HOPE but he forgot to mention "action on their part".
If you have read any post I've made on this forum, obviously I did not mean Obama's brand of hope, I meant the kind of hope that comes from the belief in oneself and one's own effort. I see a thing, I believe in my ability to obtain it, and I hope that one day given my own efforts that I shall. Hope in oneself, not in others.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:32 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,655,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
The most successful people are the ones who will tell you the role luck played in their lives. Yes its hard work too but without other people and outside luck many would not have achieved what they have.

I admire the successful people who are able to admit their success wasn't all about them.

What would you guess is the percentage of honor students who graduate summa *** laude were just really lucky at guessing the answers on exams?

It was my experience that the slackers in school didn't luck their way into graduation honors. I'd say practically all of them studied hard and worked for their grades.

Did you know many people in school who hardly ever studied and didn't do their homework end up graduating with honors? If so, about how many would you say that was?

Old 01-21-2015, 01:37 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,439,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Some of it is luck........but, most of it is hard work.

At one time I would have added MALE to your list of luck.

Now, I know a female can be a successful contractor.
I forgot Male

but your wrong, I account for "hard work" under the 30%. . .your initiative to do things. But to say its more than a small part of your success is absolute crap

Be born somewhere between Kashgar and Aksu, and see what that does you

Or be born a female in Iraq, Saudi Arabia, or Iran
your f'd

Old 01-21-2015, 01:38 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,655,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You realize that sometimes a job can fall into your lap simply because of someone you know, right? Or you were somewhere at the right time & place? I call that some luck. YOU are the one placing all the emphasis on luck, no one else is.
You do understand in most industries that is exceptionally rare don't you?

Old 01-21-2015, 01:39 PM

39,263 posts, read 27,661,377 times
Quote:
Today I woke up and "hoped" I would get a million dollars. LOL, that HOPE thingy isn't working so well. But that didn't stop Obama from using HOPE to attract his followers. HOPE but he forgot to mention "action on their part".
WARREN BUFFETT: Well I came up with that a long, long time ago to describe the situation that – I was lucky. I was born in the United States. The odds were 30 or 40-to-1 against that. I had some lucky genes. I was born at the right time. If I’d been born thousands of years ago I’d be some animal’s lunch because I can’t run very fast or climb trees. So there’s so much chance in how we enter the world. And –

WARREN BUFFETT: Yes. And we’re not – how you came out of the womb has really nothing to do with what kind of person you are. You decide what kind of person you’re going to be. It does decide whether maybe you never have to do an item of work in your life and maybe determine whether you’re fighting uphill all of the time, but where in my life, in my eyes is we’re all created equal, and but we don’t all have an equal opportunity by a longshot. And my kids really work every day in trying to even up the scorecard.
Luck plays a big role in life. But you also get to choose how you’re going to use that luck and whether you want to try to make more of your own luck.

Yes, luck plays a role in a person's life. Not sure why you are denying it. There are a lot of people who are not as lucky as you are. Those who were born with disability, Orphans whose parents abandoned them, etc. These are certainly unlucky people.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:40 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,131,949 times
I worked my ass off. Haven't seen it since.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:40 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,776,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
If you have read any post I've made on this forum, obviously I did not mean Obama's brand of hope, I meant the kind of hope that comes from the belief in oneself and one's own effort. I see a thing, I believe in my ability to obtain it, and I hope that one day given my own efforts that I shall. Hope in oneself, not in others.
No I understood but people actually believed in Obama's brand of hope. I was being sarcastic about HOPE & CHANGE. Funny how people clung to those words without asking questions. Goes to prove, come up with a catchy slogan and the masses will follow. It's that easy.

Quote:

Old 01-21-2015, 01:44 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,776,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
WARREN BUFFETT: Well I came up with that a long, long time ago to describe the situation that – I was lucky. I was born in the United States. The odds were 30 or 40-to-1 against that. I had some lucky genes. I was born at the right time. If I’d been born thousands of years ago I’d be some animal’s lunch because I can’t run very fast or climb trees. So there’s so much chance in how we enter the world. And –

WARREN BUFFETT: Yes. And we’re not – how you came out of the womb has really nothing to do with what kind of person you are. You decide what kind of person you’re going to be. It does decide whether maybe you never have to do an item of work in your life and maybe determine whether you’re fighting uphill all of the time, but where in my life, in my eyes is we’re all created equal, and but we don’t all have an equal opportunity by a longshot. And my kids really work every day in trying to even up the scorecard.
Luck plays a big role in life. But you also get to choose how you’re going to use that luck and whether you want to try to make more of your own luck.

Yes, luck plays a role in a person's life. Not sure why you are denying it. There are a lot of people who are not as lucky as you are. Those who were born with disability, Orphans whose parents abandoned them, etc. These are certainly unlucky people.
I don't agree. Luck is an empty word, it gives people excuses. Vision and action is more appropriate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies