Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 11:38 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The simple fact is the murder of Shorty Belton, a helpless ~90 year old man, by black men, gets virtually no national attention. No protests. The Obama administration didn't sent anyone to honor him at his funeral. Yet Garner, a criminal that was resisting arrest and died as a result of asthma due to his poor physical condition (granted triggered by his arrest) gets thousands of lines of print, of media time and commentary from this administration.

ALL LIVES MATTER. Not just those of people that assault police officers.
I am confused what your issue is here, the two who did this have been arrested. One pleaded guilty, and the other has a trial in a couple months. There are people who are going to be punished for this crime. There is no outrage because justice is being served here.

It is a sad death, but the good news is the justice system is working for Shorty Belton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 11:40 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think you are overreacting. Grief is a strange emotion, that is all I am trying to say. I hope her anger was caused by grief and grief alone.
Eric Garner died 11 months after Delbert Benton. There's no evidence that this woman had any connection to Benton other than he was a customer. What took her so long to take out her grief and anger on a dead young black man across the country?

Old 01-19-2015, 11:42 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Eric Garner died 11 months after Delbert Benton. There's no evidence that this woman had any connection to Benton other than he was a customer. What took her so long?
I said I didn't read the op, I just read "he was her dad's friend a wwii veteran" That is all I read.

I did not see she was blaming any black person. I am sorry. I didn't read.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:45 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I said I didn't read the op, I just read "he was her dad's friend a wwii veteran" That is all I read.

I did not see she was blaming any black person. I am sorry. I didn't read.
I know, I should have continued to address my comments and questions to the OP.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:20 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
I get it.
The lady with the sign was angry because injustice was done to both the victims. One died at the hands of cops, and the other died at the hands of criminals.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:14 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
I don't get the point of what she put on the sign. The lives of both Belton and Garner matter. If she had put "all lives matter" on the sign, I could understand that. But the one she put up is just confusing. Is she trying to somehow connect Eric Garner (a murder victim) with the person who murdered Belton, because they're both black? That doesn't make any kind of sense at all. Why do you call her courageous?
I don't think skin color has anything to do with her sign.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Eric Garner died 11 months after Delbert Benton. There's no evidence that this woman had any connection to Benton other than he was a customer. What took her so long to take out her grief and anger on a dead young black man across the country?
Why do you think she took "her grief and anger on a dead young black man across the country"?

"X lives matter" is new and has become a popular and catchy phrase. Using it to remember somebody who was killed makes sense. I suspect we will see that phrase used quite often for awhile.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tituspullo View Post
The people who murdered SHORTY were punished accordingly
The people who murdered Garner and Brown were NOT

duhhhh
Calling something a murder usually requires a conviction. Try again.

Maybe you meant to say "The people who killed Garner and Brown were NOT"

Old 01-20-2015, 10:34 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
Quote:
I don't get the point of what she put on the sign. The lives of both Belton and Garner matter. If she had put "all lives matter" on the sign, I could understand that. But the one she put up is just confusing. Is she trying to somehow connect Eric Garner (a murder victim) with the person who murdered Belton, because they're both black? That doesn't make any kind of sense at all. Why do you call her courageous?
It makes as much sense as the "protesters" citing that only black lives matter. If they had said all lives matter they may have a point. Otherwise it is just racism on their part.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:40 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
Quote:
Absolutely. So why didn't she put that on the marquee?
Belton's murder was a horrific tragedy. But Pennington's lame nonsensical attempt to implicate Garner in Belton's death just comes over as self-serving and political, and not at all courageous. Garner was black, Belton's slayers were black. Really, that's a connection?

If your beef is with Obama, you should have just said so in your OP.
You are the only one who mentions Obama. Why bring him into it?

As for the sign, what was the action when Garner died? Mass outrage for the unnecessary death and call for punishment of those who caused it.

For Beltons' murder? Not a word except from those that knew him. Are those that caused his death even being punished? I certainly have not heard so.

At the very least, you are being inconsistent in your view of the incidents and the results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies