Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 11:53 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonR View Post
BBC NEWS | Europe | Germany moves to ban Scientology

Whether they have succeeded completely yet or not is not the point, they recognize it as a threat and a cancer, and eventually will likely succeed.
If we are evaluating the truth of the statement "The Germans wisely banned Scientology", I'd say it is rather on point.

Oh yeah, that supports the ban theory. Except for the blurb stating "While it is not banned".

Like Jindal, you would probably have been better off checking your facts before making a sweeping statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 11:59 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Yeah, no-go zones are set to be the next Iraqi WMD. Reality be damned, it's still real to them.
conservatives collective ability to believe things that have no basis in reality is incredible.

Evidence is meaningless for conservatives.

To me the greatest example of this is the ACA, no one can predict the future, but the current data on the ACA from many reputable sources is uniformly positive.

At the very least based on reality it's not the epic failure tgst cobservatives insisted it would be, it's not destroying the economy, there aren't death panels, people do want the insurance, the uninsured rate is dropping.

Yet, I have yet to read one conservative whose critique of the ACA takes any of those facts into account.

It is astonishing to me all the while conservative governors are trying to expand Medicaid, conservatives everywhere say nothing.

The conservative ability to just collectively ignore objective reality is very very impressive.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:03 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times
Quote:
Are you under the impression that Fox News channel is in some way the voice for conservatives? I am very conservative, and I haven't watched even a single minute of it in many years. Do not be confused into thinking that rush limbaugh, fox news or any of the corporate conservative outlets are in any way representative of true conservatives like me, who despise the corporates and dream of the day they are expunged out from the GOP altogether.
Yeah, Fox News essentially is the only channel that conservatives who watch poltical news watch. The data was recently released by Pew.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:04 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,623,242 times
I'm in Lafayette, Louisiana. Local conservative talk radio (state, not national) have turned their backs on Jindal. When he was running for governor he regularly appeared on their talk shows and he talked up a good campaign. However, once he was elected he never once appeared on their shows again especially when they became critical of the things he as doing as governor. The RNC was grooming him as a possible presidential candidate which meant he was out of the state doing interviews more than running the state. When he was running the state, he wasn't doing any of the things he was promising during the campaign. Like Obama, he promised to have a transparent administration and then put up lead shielding. 2008 Obama campaigned as a more centralist fiscal conservative candidate. Jindal ran like a Tea Party and Reagan Conservative. Neither happened. Both went left of their campaign promises. I'm wary of presidential candidates that receive full support from the RNC or DNC. Those are candidates that will tow the party line based upon the party committee rather than the will of the voters.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:12 PM

30,996 posts, read 22,039,678 times
Quote:
Are you under the impression that Fox News channel is in some way the voice for conservatives? I am very conservative, and I haven't watched even a single minute of it in many years. Do not be confused into thinking that rush limbaugh, fox news or any of the corporate conservative outlets are in any way representative of true conservatives like me, who despise the corporates and dream of the day they are expunged out from the GOP altogether.
"Are you under the impression that Fox News channel is in some way the voice for conservatives?"

Maybe on some topics, but I don't know many self identified conservatives that believe in all supposed 'Conservative' issues. You usually need to ad a qualifier like 'Religious Conservative', Financial Conservative', 'Social Conservative' or some other break down. Same probably applies to Liberals, but I know more Liberals that don't need a qualifier. My family is mostly Democrats but can easily be described as 'Blue Dogs'.

If there was one group of "Conservatives" that agreed on all topics that would be the case.
-You have people who are Religious Conservatives that are against abortion and Gay marriage, but are for Welfare and open borders? Our they still Conservative?

-You have the President who appears the be Liberal but is against free speech in the case of Edward Snowden, Identifies as a Christian and launches cruise missiles to take out American citizens identified as Enemy combatants. Doesn't sound like a Liberal to me?

-You have almost every West Point, Annapolis and Military Academy graduate, in addition to most every Seal, Delta Force and special OP soldier that Identifies as a Conservative and they may be fine with Gay marriage and Equal rights for women but I would bet most would be for a secure border.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:14 PM

1,347 posts, read 953,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
It includes everything.
One has to be truly clueless to claim people are "wrong" about everything...

Quote:
Yes, conservatives were wrong about Iran. Before the invasion of Iraq, many people against the war said that destroying Iraq would strengthen Iran in the region would strengthen their nuclear program becaus they'd want to avoid being invaded. conservatives disagreed and said a free Iraq would weaken Iran and send a message to stop its nuclear program. Wrong.
Most conservatives I spoke with in 2003 were AGAINST attacking iraq; we saw iran as the greater threat and wanted to attack that country, and time has proven us correct.

The fact of the matter is that had GW been pressing to attack iran, the far left like you would still have protested against that as well.

Quote:
Yes, they were wrong about the Central American immigration influx.
Except for the 60,000 minors who crossed the border in 6 months last year.

Quote:
The short lived immigration influx is what happens every where in the world
So now you're admitting there was an influx? Make up your mind already.

Quote:
Yet conservatives said this immigration influx would last for many years, people wouldn't be deported, they called it a humanitarian crisis, some crisis, the problem is so fixed conservatives don't even discuss it. So on all those counts they were wrong as well.
It has lasted for years, decades actually. And True Conservatives like me - not the corporates you keep referring to - want to deport every illegal outright. That is the most rational solution, and the one we've put on the table for decades - the same one every other country has in place, including the ones in central and south america, amazingly.

Quote:
Russia? You think Russia proves conservatives right. Lol
Conservatives recognized that putin is a dog years ago, and that appeasing his lapdog in syria with redlines that suddenly vanish was a sign of weakness and stupidity. It was no accident that after we capitulated on attacking syria after their chemical weapons use that shortly thereafter putin went into the crimea.

Quote:
According to a conservatives Russia was going to quickly take over Ukraine, that strong leader putin with the fierce Russian military was embarrassing weak President Obama and would run roughshod over Poland and Estonia and the Baltic states.
Go check those countries' militaries to see how they've responded lately to the Ukraine situation. There may be True Believers like you still buying into the fantasy that obama is a trustworthy ally, but most of our allies don't, and the mobilization of their own armies is proof of this. But you can keep talking about obama's prowess if it makes you happy, just remember to dip the oreo cookie twice in the warm milk when you do so...

Quote:
In reality Russia is losing that war, they are stuck in a quagmire in Ukraine and they have not taken over anything, their economy is cratering and Putin's popularity is sagging.
Really? Is that why they're sending in even more weapons and men? Do you just make this stuff up as you go?

Old 01-21-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Yeah, Fox News essentially is the only channel that conservatives who watch poltical news watch. The data was recently released by Pew.
Just the way al sharpton is the only voice for blacks in america...that's deep, deep thinking, thanks for sharing...

Last edited by MadisonR; 01-21-2015 at 12:24 PM..

Old 01-21-2015, 12:20 PM

30,996 posts, read 22,039,678 times
Quote:
The Germans wisely banned scientology, if anything islam is far, far worse. I'd allow some muslims to remain (the highly educated, major societal contributors, etc.) but deport the rest, and would ban any form of islam. Anyone wishing to practice it would no longer be allowed to remain in the West.
"but deport the rest, and would ban any form of islam. Anyone wishing to practice it would no longer be allowed to remain in the West"
I would like to think that would not happen, just because most Muslims like most other people are not that devoted to their religion. You hold a gun to most peoples head and they will denounce their religion in a heart beat. I'm Agnostic / leaning towards Aheism and if someone held a gun to my head and said convert to Islam or Scientolgy and I would say what ever they wanted me too.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Maybe on some topics, but I don't know many self identified conservatives that believe in all supposed 'Conservative' issues. You usually need to ad a qualifier like 'Religious Conservative', Financial Conservative', 'Social Conservative' or some other break down. Same probably applies to Liberals, but I know more Liberals that don't need a qualifier. My family is mostly Democrats but can easily be described as 'Blue Dogs'.[/font][/color]

If there was one group of "Conservatives" that agreed on all topics that would be the case.
-You have people who are Religious Conservatives that are against abortion and Gay marriage, but are for Welfare and open borders? Our they still Conservative?

-You have the President who appears the be Liberal but is against free speech in the case of Edward Snowden, Identifies as a Christian and launches cruise missiles to take out American citizens identified as Enemy combatants. Doesn't sound like a Liberal to me?

-You have almost every West Point, Annapolis and Military Academy graduate, in addition to most every Seal, Delta Force and special OP soldier that Identifies as a Conservative and they may be fine with Gay marriage and Equal rights for women but I would bet most would be for a secure border.
Agreed, but there are those on this forum lacking the ability to make such distinctions.

There are 3 primary conservative groups: religious, corporate and true - and most conservatives are the last group and we generally disagree with/despise the other 2 groups. The day the GOP expels those 2 groups is the day they will become an unbeatable party in the US.

Getting back, even true conservatives are not 100% pure - I support private sector unions in the workplace - but am considerably more genuine than the corporates for instance, who would sacrifice their first born for a dollar of profit, or this country for another handful of illegals as cheap labor.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
"but deport the rest, and would ban any form of islam. Anyone wishing to practice it would no longer be allowed to remain in the West"
I would like to think that would not happen, just because most Muslims like most other people are not that devoted to their religion. You hold a gun to most peoples head and they will denounce their religion in a heart beat. I'm Agnostic / leaning towards Aheism and if someone held a gun to my head and said convert to Islam or Scientolgy and I would say what ever they wanted me too.
This is true, and there would no doubt be practitioners behind the scenes, but over time, with far fewer muslims in the country, and few if any allowed in, over time islam would decline to a whisper here in the US. Perhaps in europe as well if they take the same approach. The muslims here would be outnumbered, and with only birthrates able to increase numbers, would assimilate into the larger mass of the US without the stain or obstacle of islam to deter them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies