Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 08:15 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I don't think you have been to really poor areas, .
Well, maybe you don't think Dehli and Agra India are "really poor areas". I've been there and seen the millions who don't even have running water.

And maybe the shantytowns in South Africa don't fit your definition of "really poor areas". I've been to two of them and seen 300,000 people in one shantytown clustered together with little or no electricity.

And maybe the really poor areas of Mexico don't fit your definition of "really poor areas" either. They are not nearly as poor as India and Africa, but I've seen a lot of them.

I could go on and on.

So tell me where you have been that are "really poor areas".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
Your problem is you think that industry should exist to make a few people rich instead of as a means of developing and distributing products or resources fairly.
Those are your words, not mine. Your problem is you like to tell others what they think.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyu86 View Post
Much of American conservatism today consists of little more than its followers composing self glorifying paeans to themselves and mockery of others. This forum is a textbook example of that.
Much of American liberalism today consists of little more than its followers wanting to spend other people's money rather than help the poor with their OWN money. This forum is a textbook example of that.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Not really the wealthy abuse a lot of loopholes and the tax code. They take someone out to a fancy 100 dollar dinner and then write it off as a business expense.

The stock market is meaningless to the average person historically. Under Reagan for example the stock market was high for it's time yet tons of people lost their jobs in those years.
Sorry to burst your bubble but a 100 dollar dinner is not fancy.

And BTW, millions of Americans have invested their life savings in the stock market, so it is very meaningful to most of us.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:37 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Grow up.

Consumers pay all corporate taxes so that is a useless debate.

Why should we stop encouraging greed? Greed is a human trait. Greed gets the job done.

Why are you so focused on what other people have?
Very frequently it's because such people will not plan, make informed and wise life and financial decisions, work hard enough, and sacrifice enough to reach the same level, so they b*tch and moan that others have and therefore reaped the rewards of doing so.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Because I actually care about the world I'm living in.
But you won't put your money where your mouth is. Got it...

Old 01-21-2015, 08:42 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,593,491 times
Before you grab the pitchforks and torches to get those evil 1%, step back and look at US government and monetary policy to see how the equation became so lopsided. It may surprise you.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
So who says consumers NEED to pay all corporate taxes.
Corporate tax is a corporate expense and therefore part of the pricing of goods/services formula.

How do you NOT know that? Seriously?

Old 01-21-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Your problem is you think that industry should exist to make a few people rich instead of as a means of developing and distributing products or resources fairly.
And there you have it... a full-on admission of ignorance.

Who invests in corporations and is therefore dependent on corporate profits? Might want to consider the following, as just one example...
Quote:
"As the nation's largest public pension fund with assets totaling $296.1 billion as of October 31, 2014, CalPERS investments span domestic and international markets."
https://www.calpers.ca.gov/index.jsp...ments/home.xml
Quote:
"CalPERS is one of the largest institutional investors in both the U.S. and international stock markets."
https://www.calpers.ca.gov/index.jsp...ities/home.xml

But, hey... apparently, you strongly believe that those public employees shouldn't get the pensions they've been promised when they retire because those pensions are funded in large part by corporate profits.

The idiocy is simply STUNNING!

Old 01-21-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Wealth is not finite. When the wealth of the 1% grows so does my 401k.

You do not kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.
And yet we see advocates of doing exactly so every day here on c-d.

The idiocy is simply STUNNING!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies