Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2015, 11:50 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,926,861 times

Advertisements

Some attempt to redistribute Mastadonian levels of wealth had better be made, or the measly scrapings that you lot mistake for real wealth are going to go away. It's going to be a real eye opener.

H
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 11:53 AM

88,983 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Some attempt to redistribute Mastadonian levels of wealth had better be made, or the measly scrapings that you lot mistake for real wealth are going to go away.
Here's a thought... How about if more people EARN wealth instead of sitting on their butts and demanding that someone else's wealth be redistributed.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:29 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,926,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Here's a thought... How about if more people EARN wealth instead of sitting on their butts and demanding that someone else's wealth be redistributed.

There is no way to EARN our way out of income inequality. It has gone on for too long and the growth of the imbalance is exponential. The job creators have the means to use non-local sources of labor thus thwarting attempts by local inhabitants of America to secure decent paying jobs. Since they will not repatriate the jobs, we will have to repatriate their profits. In some sectors even the profits are being earned offshore! Mo other First World country tolerates the kind of income and wealth imbalance that is not just tolerated but encouraged by Americans. "I've got mine, you go get your own". If that worked...

H

Old 01-29-2015, 12:33 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,818,580 times
Quote:
There is no way to EARN our way out of income inequality. It has gone on for too long and the growth of the imbalance is exponential. The job creators have the means to use non-local sources of labor thus thwarting attempts by local inhabitants of America to secure decent paying jobs. Since they will not repatriate the jobs, we will have to repatriate their profits. In some sectors even the profits are being earned offshore! Mo other First World country tolerates the kind of income and wealth imbalance that is not just tolerated but encouraged by Americans. "I've got mine, you go get your own". If that worked...

H
So everyone who is wealthy has always been wealthy, and no one who isn't wealthy has never become wealthy.

If being wealthy was easy everyone would do it. How about worrying about yourself instead of others, it might help you move up an economic class or two.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:34 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,220,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Taxes don't fund anything. You've been lied to.
Then stop collecting them

Old 01-29-2015, 12:42 PM

88,983 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
There is no way to EARN our way out of income inequality.
Then how is it that some people, over the courses of their lives, work as grocery baggers, etc., in high school and work/learn their way up to 7 or even 8 figure salaries as entrepreneurs, very high-level management, etc.?

Old 01-29-2015, 12:46 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,260,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Don't expect an answer to this any time soon. They don't have one, since as you eluded to, financial statistics prove otherwise. These are the same people that begrudge a single mom that wants to work on becoming a nurse getting free community college. Meanwhile they sold a few stocks last year and made 6 million dollars.
I would love to see programs that help single parents do things just like that. I know how hard it was for me back when I was that single mom in college, myself.

Back in Clinton's time, social programs were changed during the midterm elections, when Congress got overtaken by the Republicans. Newt Gingrich and his "Contract with America" comes to mind. He wanted to make it even harder, and he did. I remember because it affected me, directly.

I know there are the types that like to sit around and whine about their circumstances without putting forth any real effort to change them. Those types have given poor people a bad rap in the eyes of the public, because honestly? In my own experience? I knew other single parents who wanted out and were willing to work for it, but oftentimes, they felt trapped by the system.

Anyway, if raising taxes helps people like the single mom you've referenced in your post, I would never begrudge that, personally.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:49 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times
Quote:
There is no way to EARN our way out of income inequality.
This is what it comes down to, inequity. It's not that he has enough, he just doesn't want someone else to have a lot more.

All you have to do is think about kids getting bowls of ice cream. There will always be that kid who instead of being happy he got a bowl of ice cream is upset because somebody else has a bowl with a couple more spoon fulls.

It's a child's attitude.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:50 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Taxes don't fund anything. You've been lied to.
So you agree we should not tax people and corporations?

Old 01-29-2015, 12:53 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,362,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Then how is it that some people, over the courses of their lives, work as grocery baggers, etc., in high school and work/learn their way up to 7 or even 8 figure salaries as entrepreneurs, very high-level management, etc.?
Bwahahahha.

some being-you have better odds of winning the lottery.

Know whats also special? That you think a 7 or even GASP a 8 figure salary is real wealth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies