Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2015, 05:08 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Want to fix wealth inequality? .
No, I don't. I prefer to focus on real problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
There are hundreds of millions of Americans. Only 424 of them are billionaires.

H
So what? You don't have to be a billionaire to have enough money for a very comfortable life.

Get over your jealousy.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
I'm a little confused. In another thread to me, you (informed consent) mentioned that most of the 1% (these Forbes types would certainly qualify as 1%ers) did NOT inherit their wealth. Yet here, greywar mentions that 6 out of the top 10 Forbes listers did inherit their wealth. Doesn't that qualify as most? 6 out of 10 is 60%..
No. It qualifies as six. Your are trying to compare two totally unrelated numbers.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:31 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Mother Teresa has once said, Charity, if it is true, MUST COST us, it does not cost to take from Peter to pay Paul.

This friend that you have will have no worries in her future because she obviously works hard and smart. I don't envy her because everybody has his or her own life destination.

I am a trust fund baby, I chose art, not medical school. I chose sports, not investment banking. I suffer from the consequences of my own interests, passion, actions and choices. I don't ask OTHER people to pay for my dream, I asked my grandparents and my parents to pay for it. I am entitled to it.

The case against the inheritance tax does not turn on complex legal or economic argument. It is a simple moral case when you really think about it.

The law should be set up to align the interests of one and all.

If the law allows people to keep what they earn, everyone has a private incentive to work hard—which ends up benefiting everyone else.

The money my grandparents kept is AFTER tax money. Why do we as grandchildren must pay HUGE inheritance tax? It is grossly unfair that people that save the most, and plan for future generations get punished.

I have big dreams of establishing my own non-profit organization helping those who deserve my help. I want to use my grandpa's money to help people I LOVE.

Inheritance tax is unfair, and those who say inheritance tax should be set high are simply jealous. **** This statement is not directed at any posters in this thread ***** I have no other ways to explain it.
Thank you for sharing.

I agree with the bolded part.

What you say makes a certain amount of sense, and might I add to that the fact I don't wish to see children of poor families penalized for something they had no part in...their parents' poor choices. Granted, I don't think all poor people are there for having made poor choices, necessarily.

I didn't have any of your resources. It was a one hell of a hard road to get to where I now stand. In my fantasy land, that same road would be more smoothed out for future individuals in similar situations...poor, single parents who put in their time working crap job after crap job, and who want desperately to get out of that cycle...and who have the desire and determination to do so.

Welfare lazy butts who want nothing more than to sit around can bite me.

Please tell me as a trust fund baby yourself, one who recognizes your own good fortune, that at least you're not demonizing the poor the way I've seen some do in this forum. As long as you're not doing that, I have no issues

I don't have the solutions for any of this.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:44 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
Thank you for sharing.

I agree with the bolded part.

What you say makes a certain amount of sense, and might I add to that the fact I don't wish to see children of poor families penalized for something they had no part in...their parents' poor choices. Granted, I don't think all poor people are there for having made poor choices, necessarily.

I didn't have any of your resources. It was a one hell of a hard road to get to where I now stand. In my fantasy land, that same road would be more smoothed out for future individuals in similar situations...poor, single parents who put in their time working crap job after crap job, and who want desperately to get out of that cycle...and who have the desire and determination to do so.

Welfare lazy butts who want nothing more than to sit around can bite me.

Please tell me as a trust fund baby yourself, one who recognizes your own good fortune, that at least you're not demonizing the poor the way I've seen some do in this forum. As long as you're not doing that, I have no issues
Of course not, I have no reasons demonizing the poor. I recognize my own privilege, so I don't stay bitter. Plus, one bad life choice, I can very much become the poor. We are all equal.

Also, there is stigma associated with trustfund baby, I am a proof that we work, we work alllthetime. I bet i work longer hours compare to most people. I work 11 hours a day, six days a week.

I want to start two non-profit organizations, I want to help those unfortunate people nobody want to help. (Believe me, the people I want to help are somebody no body want to help. believe me on that).

The bottom line is that we all have a story to tell. Government has no business tax us more simply because we inherited some money from our grandparents.

I read an article somewhere (sorry, don't remember the source)

People who make more should pay more, generally speaking. In America, they are. Yes, the rich (and almost rich) are getting richer. When it comes to individual income taxes, they're also covering the entire bill. And leaving a tip.

Fair or not, you can be the judge.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:44 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:

My grandpa wanted to give his children all his AFTER TAX money, I cannot see HOW inheritance tax is even fair.
There are federal taxes imposed on that portion of a qualified estate that exceeds $ 5.43 million. In otherwords the first $ 5.43 million of a net estate is not taxed by the fed. After that, it depends. If the deceased' spouce's is to inherit the estate, federal taxes do not apply.

21 states impose an estate and/ or inheritence tax on the beneficiary. Most exempt the first $1 million of the inheritance.

There are a million and one ways to avoid or reduce the tax burden on a qualified estate. Chances are if Grandpa's estate is reasonably in excess of $5.43 million, he has worked it out with an estate planner.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:48 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,235 times
Quote:
Of course not, I have no reasons demonizing the poor. I recognize my own privilege, so I don't stay bitter. Plus, one bad life choice, I can very much become the poor. We are all equal.

Also, there is stigma associated with trustfund baby, I am a proof that we work, we work alllthetime. I bet i work longer hours compare to most people. I work 11 hours a day, six days a week.

I want to start two non-profit organizations, I want to help those unfortunate people nobody want to help. (Believe me, the people I want to help are somebody no body want to help. believe me on that).

The bottom line is that we all have a story to tell. Government has no business tax us more simply because we inherited some money from our grandparents.

I read an article somewhere (sorry, don't remember the source)

People who make more should pay more, generally speaking. In America, they are. Yes, the rich (and almost rich) are getting richer. When it comes to individual income taxes, they're also covering the entire bill. And leaving a tip.

Fair or not, you can be the judge.
You don't sound like the trust fund baby that tends to get under my skin at all

Good luck on your endeavor.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:52 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There are federal taxes imposed on that portion of a qualified estate that exceeds $ 5.43 million. In otherwords the first $ 5.43 million of a net estate is not taxed by the fed. After that, it depends. If the deceased' spouce's is to inherit the estate, federal taxes do not apply.

21 states impose an estate and/ or inheritence tax on the beneficiary. Most exempt the first $1 million of the inheritance.

There are a million and one ways to avoid or reduce the tax burden on a qualified estate. Chances are if Grandpa's estate is reasonably in excess of $5.43 million, he has worked it out with an estate planner.
bolded, not fair. Depends on what? You shouldn't be taxing people's after tax's money. Period.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:52 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981
Mother Teresa has once said, Charity, if it is true, MUST COST us, it does not cost to take from Peter to pay Paul.

This friend that you have will have no worries in her future because she obviously works hard and smart. I don't envy her because everybody has his or her own life destination.

I am a trust fund baby, I chose art, not medical school. I chose sports, not investment banking. I suffer from the consequences of my own interests, passion, actions and choices. I don't ask OTHER people to pay for my dream, I asked my grandparents and my parents to pay for it. I am entitled to it.

The case against the inheritance tax does not turn on complex legal or economic argument. It is a simple moral case when you really think about it.

The law should be set up to align the interests of one and all.

If the law allows people to keep what they earn, everyone has a private incentive to work hard—which ends up benefiting everyone else.

The money my grandparents kept is AFTER tax money. Why do we as grandchildren must pay HUGE inheritance tax? It is grossly unfair that people that save the most, and plan for future generations get punished.

I have big dreams of establishing my own non-profit organization helping those who deserve my help. I want to use my grandpa's money to help people I LOVE.

Inheritance tax is unfair, and those who say inheritance tax should be set high are simply jealous. **** This statement is not directed at any posters in this thread ***** I have no other ways to explain it.

I am a trust fund baby as well, but the inheritance was in articles and things, not money per se though I did get a chunk of it, but it dribbles out a little at a time so minimal taxes are yanked. I have a CPA who is well paid to see that I keep it and not the Fed. So the property I since sold was not taxed and neither was the plane I inherited that I sold when I upgraded to a Cheyenne. I still work hard for the railroad because I like my job. I am good at it and I am well compensated. I could live off the fruits of my inheritance but I choose not to. The fact that the Fed is slavering after my money is quite frankly disgusting and I will resist any efforts that others may do to separate me from my inheritance so I will keep what is rightfully mine.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:03 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
No, I don't. I prefer to focus on real problems.
Ah yes, put your head in the sand because it fits your narrative.

Our economy is driven 70% by consumer demand. This means that wealth inequality is a issue. While a certain amount of it is awesome, extreme amounts of it damage our economy.

IE The rich would be even richer if the level of inequality stays below a certain point.

Inequality is a real problem, but not for the reason that most people think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies