Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 08:29 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Go set up your little commune where nobody needs money and everybody does their fair share of work. I bet it will be quite successful and grow and grow and grow.

Meanwhile, in the real world, capital drives innovation, people mainly purchase based on price and if you can't compete, you go out of business.

Tell your unicorn I said hi.

This is your best retort?? A childish and inane comment substituting for lack of a real synopsis of your position??

Next.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 09:00 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
Unions have done good things, but the way things are now, when it's time to tighten budgets the answer from unions is to cut everyone else's pay but theirs. They also are opposed to firing useless employees. In many cases, unions are not much better than the bloated corporations / government agencies they work for.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:06 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
I can show you data that the ocean's fish populations have dropped along side union membership declining, but that doesn't make causation.

Liberals always have to blame someone.
Oh I see you aren't that b....t. Look comparing the impact of unions on workers wages and benefits as the same as the impact of unions on fish. smh, conservatives are in fantasyland.

Again, conservatives have insisted that unions suck and are bad for American workers, while the data is fairly consistent since declining unionization, workers wages, and benefits have slowed and in some instances declined despite increased worker productivity and increased national wealth.

Since the decline of unions and if according to conservatives unions are bad, what has gotten better for American workers?

This is a question that conservatives would ask if their hatred of unions was rooted in policy and not ideology.

If one believes unions hurt workers then one would seek to measure how much better workers have it without unions using objective data, but no such data exists.

So why haven't conservatives changed their tune about unions or are seeking some way to improve things for American workers?

Because they don't care about American workers, they care about their ideology.

Reality is meaningless to conservatives.

Over and over and over again conservatives ignore real problems which conflict with their ideology.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:13 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Did you ever witness good employees being laid off while crappy ones kept their jobs due to seniority union rules?
Oh, yes! In fact, it happened to me on the "open shop, union member" job. I was one of a four member crew working a certain modification, and the shop did not want to lay me off, but they had to because of "union rules".
I also saw a union member, in the "closed shop, union member" job, get fired, and the union did nothing more than file a token grievance which, of course, was denied, at which point the union rolled over and said "There is nothing more we can do!"

Old 01-22-2015, 06:34 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
I read somewhere that unions are responsible for the weekend, 8 hour work days, etc. Things that's aren't so profitable to business but improve the common's man life. Where they really necessary though?
Unions are fine... IF:

Participation is voluntary.
They can only represent one employer's employees.
They cannot represent any public employee
They cannot collude with each other, in ANY way.

Then, unions are fine.

But no liberal wants that, they want monopolies on power.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:36 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,051,742 times
If by better you mean ten year old children working sixty hours a week for twelve cents an hour, under frighteningly dangerous conditions, yes.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:37 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
No, OP, long ago the unions served a useful purpose.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:19 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical Paradox View Post
I have no knowledge of history so of course labor unions are evil. The GOP said so.
"I have no knowledge of history" Truer words were never typed!

Old 01-23-2015, 09:34 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
This is your best retort?? A childish and inane comment substituting for lack of a real synopsis of your position??

Next.........
Yes, like many of your posts.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:37 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Again if conservatives are concerned and care about American workers and since Union membership has declined in part because of conservative polices and their belief that unions are bad, then things should have dramatically improved for working Americans.

What has improved for working Americans since the decline of unions?
Unions killed off all their industries. You should rethink suicide pacts. They are not a benefit to anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies