Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2015, 10:15 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
First, is $10 an hour a living wage? Do you feel this is enough?

Second, you don't understand that when just a city here or there does a limited increase, it would not have the same effect as a large national increase. This has to do with both the amount and the interaction with the rest of the supply chain. If Seattle was it's own economy, your example would be valid, but since Seattle gets so much from areas outside that aren't under the same constraints, it's a false comparison.
Washington's minimum wage is $9.32, so the $10 minimum wage was more of a symbolic gesture to show that we can have our minimum in the double digits and still function just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 10:17 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelCreator View Post
That would be up to the manager or person above him no? I just think a set wage for people is the right thing. No person who works PERIOD should have to depend on welfare to make ends meet.
A minimum wage is welfare. You are getting money you did not earn. Where do you think that money comes from?

Old 01-23-2015, 10:18 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Washington's minimum wage is $9.32, so the $10 minimum wage was more of a symbolic gesture to show that we can have our minimum in the double digits and still function just fine.
So why not think bigger and make it triple digits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
All of them. Everything that adds to the cost of running a business has a negative impact on the cost of living.
You're too funny, thanks for your generalized response. Guess we should get rid of all regulations, we don't want to stop anyone from dumping toxic waste into our drinking water to save money now would we?

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelCreator View Post
That would be up to the manager or person above him no? I just think a set wage for people is the right thing. No person who works PERIOD should have to depend on welfare to make ends meet.
The assistant manager would then probably making $45,000. The manager would be making $60,000. The HR person at corporate would be making $90,000. The guy working the assembly line would be making $60,000.

You think that when all of the salaries of everyone across the board goes up, it won't drive up prices to the point that $35 is now equivalent to $8k in terms of buying power?

If not, let's start paying everyone a minimum salary of $200k.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I raised a few so I have first hand knowledge of how to support kids without taking money from other people.
And I bet cost of living was much lower and the amount of pay was much higher in relation to the cost of living when you raised these children. That is the fact that right wingers love to gloss over and pretend it doesn't exist.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:20 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You're too funny, thanks for your generalized response. Guess we should get rid of all regulations, we don't want to stop anyone from dumping toxic waste into our drinking water to save money now would we?
Well, that is one way to dodge the FACT that added costs to business drive up the costs of products to the end customer.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You obviously have more money than you need and should give some of it away.
Sure thing, stand outside my coffee shop next time and I will hand you a dollar, I am all for helping out those who are less fortunate.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They don't. They choose to. They can do like me and get a second job. They can decide to not move out on their own. They can do many different things.

I say this as someone who supports things like food stamps to give people a hand if things go bad for them and I don't have a problem with some of our other programs, but few *have* to go on welfare.
So your advice is for people to mooch off mommy and daddy? That must have put a strain on their financial needs. Unless your parents are wealthy, then in that case I say mooch away.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
A minimum wage is welfare. You are getting money you did not earn. Where do you think that money comes from?
Wow, you are good. Now it is considered welfare if you work for minimum wage. Seriously, that is what you just wrote. And people wonder why I come to this site for entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies