Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2015, 01:58 PM

211 posts, read 164,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I already have shown that a person could live off of $8 an hour. You're just wrong.

I have no doubt that you could and probably would.

Right out of high school I was motivated enough to leave my $5 an hour job and make $20 an hour hanging wallpaper while going to community college. Sure, it meant that I had to work for free while going to school and doing my other job, but then I was able to quit the other job and have all the $20 per hour work I wanted.

If my memory of your other posts are correct, I was making more per hour right out of high school back in the 80's than you make right now. If I remember your post where you discuss your household income, I made quite a bit more per hour.
Funny thing I WASTED several thousand dollars on getting a skill. Then I couldn't even find work because I wasn't experienced in that line of work....so dug myself a hole,money was paid back from my tax refund all 4k of it. Yet I have STILL have never had a job with my skill...complete waste of time and money and effort. that was the end for me. Wife has done same thing but fortunately she was trained and only had to spend 6 months with the company which she did...she makes 9.50$ an hour as an EXPERIENCED person in her field! Its a crock of crap and its ALL a scam. College,trade schools etc...all scams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 02:00 PM

13,853 posts, read 5,564,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelCreator View Post
Funny thing I WASTED several thousand dollars on getting a skill. Then I couldn't even find work because I wasn't experienced in that line of work....so dug myself a hole,money was paid back from my tax refund all 4k of it. Yet I have STILL have never had a job with my skill...complete waste of time and money and effort. that was the end for me. Wife has done same thing but fortunately she was trained and only had to spend 6 months with the company which she did...she makes 9.50$ an hour as an EXPERIENCED person in her field! Its a crock of crap and its ALL a scam. College,trade schools etc...all scams.
What skill?

Old 01-23-2015, 02:03 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,064,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelCreator View Post
*Some* of it is.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:04 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,936,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
After reading all 36 pages of this thread, it is clear that the conservative, right wing would make it a rule that no individual or couple could legally have children until they made at least 40,000 a year.
At the same time, they will do everything in their power to make abortion illegal for anybody, for any reason.

That's the whole point of the thread, "Raising a family on minimum wage" is really code for "people making minimum wage should be barred from breeding."

Bottom line.
People believe that others shouldn't have children until they can afford them. Quite simple. And also quite fair to the child.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:14 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,640,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
People believe that others shouldn't have children until they can afford them. Quite simple. And also quite fair to the child.
It's one thing to believe that. It's entirely a different matter to lobby for and want to try and make that the law of the land.
Maybe those who believe that could open up clinics for the poor and hand out morning after pills to insure the desired results.
Or perhaps what you really want is for nobody to have sex unless they reach a certain income threshold.
Better yet, shut down every safety net for any woman who has a child and doesn't have enough money to support it. Let the mother and child starve in the streets. Other than that, what would you suggest?

Last edited by mohawkx; 01-23-2015 at 03:11 PM..

Old 01-23-2015, 02:19 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,097,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
"And there it is, businesses should be able to pay people less to increase their own profits."

OK, so why are private sector companies in business? Are they there to lose money? Should their be a limit on how much they can make?

You probably people like Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg. Any idea what he's worth?
Any idea how much Zuckerberg can afford to pay his employees? Obviously a business is in business to make money, no one is arguing against that fact, we all agree on that. But we should also agree that a business shouldn't expand and add more employees if is cannot afford them. This is simply economics. Now that business could try to take out a loan or find an investor in the prospects that if they increase their money coming in, then they could hire more employees to help grow the business and increase the overall profits.

However, a business that cannot afford to hire any new employees if they cannot afford to pay for them and the increase in employees will do nothing to help increase the profits of that company. Hiring employees that you cannot afford is called careless and it will put a business out of business very quickly.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
So we should pay the same rates China pays to keep jobs here? Is that what you are trying to say? We should be more like China? Really?

Old 01-23-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Then stop giving people government assistance and we are both happy.

The simple fact is some tasks are not worth paying someone a "living wage" to do. If what you are proposing is implemented then millions of people will be out of work and many businesses closed with the portion of living wage jobs that they do employee as well. Sounds like a great plan.

If you are worried about the wages of the "working poor" you should be championing closeing the border and deporting illegals as they are the ones increasing the supply of non/low skilled workers keeping prices down. Of course this would also cause the prices of products to go up, hope you are ready for that.
One or the other, you can't have both. Pick one.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:23 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,936,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
It's one thing to believe that. It's entirely a different matter to lobby for and want to try and make that the law of the land.
Maybe those who believe that could open up clinics for the poor and hand out morning after pills to insure the desired results.
Or perhaps what you really want is for nobody to have sex unless they reach a certain income threshold.
Better yet, shut down every safety net for any woman who has a child and doesn't have enough money to support it. Let the mother and child stare in the streets. Other than that, what would you suggest?
I don't really want anything and nobody I know is lobbying.

It's pretty self-explanatory to avoid getting pregnant if you're not ready, financially or emotionally, to have a child. If that means not having sex, then oh well. If you choose to anyway, fine, but good luck raising a kid or two or five on minimum wage. Ahh, but no worries! I'll be happy to pick up the welfare tab for you...

People can control themselves. It is a personal responsibility to avoid getting pregnant. There are various ways to do so, and yes, not having sex is one of them (and the only 100% guaranteed form of birth control!). People who have kids when they're not ready have no one to blame but themselves. People can make whatever choices they want but that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to call them stupid for their stupid decisions. It doesn't mean I, or anyone else, is trying to lobby for forced abortions or whatever other crazy idea you mentioned.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Ok, so if CEOs aren't paid based on the value they bring, why are they paid well? Luck?
It is called connections my friend, it isn't about your value, it is all about who you know. Sure, you could find a CEO that came from poverty and worked their way up to being a CEO, but more often than not, they got that job because who their daddy is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies