Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2015, 01:47 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times

Advertisements

1 year is plenty, even in economic downturns, for those with pride who want to be self-sufficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 01:47 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That's a lot of broken condoms to account for 35% of children being raised in single parent homes.
They are probably using those cheap condoms made by the government.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
LOL, not even after the first child, second, third, fourth. All kids born into poverty. That is selfish. Then expect the tax payer to pay for them because you can't control yourself.

Well hell, if the taxpayer is going to pay for the result why should you care?
It's worse than selfish. It's child abuse.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's not too harsh but the reality is many skilled worked are making close to min wage and not receiving benefits. .

What are those jobs?

Old 01-24-2015, 02:10 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
1 year is plenty, even in economic downturns, for those with pride who want to be self-sufficient.
Too bad we didn't set the same standards for Q.E.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:20 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's not too harsh but the reality is many skilled worked are making close to min wage and not receiving benefits. I'm not talking about job creators or game changers, I'm talking run of the mill admins or middle managers and blue collar people, average people with average abilities and connections. Those jobs aren't there like they used to be so we have only a few choices: the typical American family idea ends and people stop having kids while the idea of families living in their own home and raising said kids ends and people share housing with family and/or friends and society changes completely in a few generations.... OR we focus on the employment end of things.
Maybe it's time to explain to everyone that if you plan on being on this planet or bringing someone else to this planet in the future (short of a mass extinction event like the right kind of solar flare or WW III) then there will be increased pressure and strain on resources causing both increasing prices and decreasing supplies along with outright shortages of some things. No matter how ideological you are wages will not be keeping pace with the cost of living no matter what you do but you can certainly mitigate that problem to the best of your ability by contributing to society and bettering yourself by learning all you can until you're 10 toes up.

Or you could not tell people and use them for vote gathering schemes so that you can screw over as many people as possible for your own gain.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:25 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I don't think you can ask someone how many children they have in a job interview, so unless the person is whipping it out in front of you, I don't see how you would be able to gauge someone's urges.

Either that or you would never hire anyone under 30. Or you forgot what it was like to be a teenager or 20 something.
Why would you ask someone about their familial status. Just ask them to tell you about themselves and people will tell you stuff not even related to their careers and in many cases not even about themselves and in case you aren't up on times people put their entire lives on the Internet for the whole wide world to see.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:35 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
I agree, pknopp, and was proud we allowed Lehman to fail. I'm not a fan of any QE.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:27 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It is called connections my friend, it isn't about your value, it is all about who you know. Sure, you could find a CEO that came from poverty and worked their way up to being a CEO, but more often than not, they got that job because who their daddy is.
OH bull$hit!

I guarantee that of the Fortune 500 CEOs, very few are in their positions because of their father.

While I won't argue that they all have some connections, those connections are school and business associates, not dad and grandpa.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:42 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
OH bull$hit!

I guarantee that of the Fortune 500 CEOs, very few are in their positions because of their father.

While I won't argue that they all have some connections, those connections are school and business associates, not dad and grandpa.
It's much easier to blame your lack of success by saying you weren't given it by your parents.

Sure, Jack Welch was born to a railroad conductor and a homemaker. Sure he worked after school and during summers. Sure he started as a junior engineer after graduating college and worked his way to CEO.

But isn't much nicer to think he was given that position by his father? After all, if he can make it to the top by hard work and achievement alone, it kind of reduces your excuses for not succeeding to the level you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies