Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 09:29 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times

Advertisements

Is there something in our current labor laws that isn't being addressed? Is there something about sitting in a swivel chair and stamping pieces of paper that's super dangerous and represent poor working conditions? Are state employees not being paid a fair wage?

Help me out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 09:31 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,524,025 times
Did you know state workers also mow lawns, pick up trash, and work in sewer systems?

IDK if you knew that...

Old 02-10-2015, 09:34 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,467 times
The same reason everyone else should be able to form labor unions, because people have the right to associate with whomever they want to when they are creating business contracts. The way I see it restricting labor unions is anti-capitalistic since you are interfering in folks right to contract and negotiate with whom they like when selling their labor. People should be free to work together in contracting with another party to ensure the best price for their services in a negotiation.

I seriously doubt if anyone on the right would tolerate the government telling small business partners who they contracted with that they were not allowed to be business partners when dealing with them and that they had to break up their partnerships and do business individually with the state, so why is it acceptable to do it with people essentially selling their labor.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:36 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Is there something in our current labor laws that isn't being addressed? Is there something about sitting in a swivel chair and stamping pieces of paper that's super dangerous and represent poor working conditions? Are state employees not being paid a fair wage?

Help me out here.
Their livelihoods are in the hands of politicians... That should answer your question.

FYI, everyone should be in a labor union since the minimum wage is at slave levels.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:39 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
The same reason everyone else should be able to form labor unions, because people have the right to associate with whomever they want to when they are creating business contracts. The way I see it restricting labor unions is anti-capitalistic since you are interfering in folks right to contract and negotiate with whom they like when selling their labor. People should be free to work together in contracting with another party to ensure the best price for their services in a negotiation.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
Did you know state workers also mow lawns, pick up trash, and work in sewer systems?

IDK if you knew that...
I was aware. Is there something in our current labor laws that isn't being addressed, even for those people, OR are they not being paid a fair wage? Maybe you can point that out?

Old 02-10-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post

I seriously doubt if anyone on the right would tolerate the government telling small business partners who they contracted with that they were not allowed to be business partners when dealing with them and that they had to break up their partnerships and do business individually with the state, so why is it acceptable to do it with people essentially selling their labor.
They are. And the people who hire should be free to reject those who unionize, yes?

Old 02-10-2015, 09:46 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,524,025 times
Quote:
I was aware. Is there something in our current labor laws that isn't being addressed, even for those people, OR are they not being paid a fair wage? Maybe you can point that out?
I'm not sure. I don't know why it's a big deal tbh, if they want to unionize, why not? But you made it sound like government is just a bunch of paper pushers that never get in harms way. If fire fighters want to unionize because they don't believe they're compensated fairly for the dangerous work they do, so what?

Old 02-10-2015, 09:48 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,467 times
Quote:
They are. And the people who hire should be free to reject those who unionize, yes?
When the people who hire are not people but the state and the leverage the law to reject unions its a little bit different don't you think? Aside from that with private business how they deal with open shop vs union shops should be their business. With that said conservatives have constantly stepped in via state right to work laws law to ban union shops in a lot of states, which is why I doubt all their bluster about being true capitalists.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:49 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,578,050 times
Unions love municipalities They tend not to get shipped overseas or go out of business
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies