Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 11:22 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times

Advertisements

All day long, I hear nothing but complaints from many seniors bemoaning their measly Social security checks, decreasing Medicare Advantage benefits, low rate of return on savings accts (for those who actually have savings) etc. yet, they seem to be silent when Obama does nothing but propose to throw taxpayer $$ at people with kids, young ppl who attend community college. Not once have we heard him propose very much to help seniors. If they are such a major voting bloc like they insist, why don't they protest their exclusion from Obamas budget plans?

Old 01-21-2015, 11:26 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Because nothing is being taken from them. I dont begrudge it even though theres nothing in it for me really, just lots of stuff that make sense, and will help others get ahead in life. Why should I or they protest?

Old 01-21-2015, 11:31 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
First of all, over 60% of the federal budget is spent on social security and entitlements, which is mostly made up of medicaid and medicare. Seniors are not overlooked in the budget. In fact, in pure percentage terms, they get well more than their share.

However, the actual reason that seniors do not have anything more to say about Obama's budget proposals are that they know he is just engaging in political posturing and that these proposals are not even taken seriously by his own side. They are well and truly "Dead on Arrival" in Congress, which Obama anticipates in advance that they will be and apparently is reasonably pleased about that.

So, seniors are smart not to waste their time on any of his posturing silliness.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:36 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
http://www.theonion.com/articles/wel...-listin,37811/

Pretty much defines the reality.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:39 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
All day long, I hear nothing but complaints from many seniors bemoaning their measly Social security checks, decreasing Medicare Advantage benefits, low rate of return on savings accts (for those who actually have savings) etc. yet, they seem to be silent when Obama does nothing but propose to throw taxpayer $$ at people with kids, young ppl who attend community college. Not once have we heard him propose very much to help seniors. If they are such a major voting bloc like they insist, why don't they protest their exclusion from Obamas budget plans?
We get a COLA raise every year. Medicare advantage rates are controlled by the insurance industry and only applies to the 20% that Medicare doesn't cover. I know, I've researched all the Advantage plans offered by the industry and got my Primary care physician's judgement on their worth.
I guess we could scream about low inflation, which is a boon to all Americans but is also the root cause of low return from passbook savings. Are you proposing that Obama dramatically raise inflation? Perhaps that could be the new republican rally cry? "We promise to raise inflation by 10% a year so seniors will get a better return on savings!"
Any seniors with money to save are savvy enough to invest in Roth, IRAs, mutual funds, etc. and other vehicles that provide a decent return on investments.
Raising the rate of inflation is not necessary.

Not sure what your point is except an attempt to Demonize the president to seniors with a bunch of claims that don't apply and are unconnected to him.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:40 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
First of all, over 60% of the federal budget is spent on social security and entitlements, which is mostly made up of medicaid and medicare. Seniors are not overlooked in the budget. In fact, in pure percentage terms, they get well more than their share.

However, the actual reason that seniors do not have anything more to say about Obama's budget proposals are that they know he is just engaging in political posturing and that these proposals are not even taken seriously by his own side. They are well and truly "Dead on Arrival" in Congress, which Obama anticipates in advance that they will be and apparently is reasonably pleased about that.

So, seniors are smart not to waste their time on any of his posturing silliness.
Most middle to upper class seniors are not being GIVEN anything. It's THEIR $$ that was deducted from their checks for years and years. The small COLA that they receive hardly keeps up wth food prices, rent, medical costs, etc.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:44 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Quote:
Most middle to upper class seniors are not being GIVEN anything. It's THEIR $$ that was deducted from their checks for years and years. The small COLA that they receive hardly keeps up wth food prices, rent, medical costs, etc.
They are nearly all recipients of social security and the vast majority are recipients of medicare. What in the world are you talking about?

Old 01-21-2015, 11:44 AM

15,635 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Quote:
If they are such a major voting bloc like they insist, why don't they protest their exclusion from Obamas budget plans?
Did you miss the midterm election results? I'd say throwing out most Dem congressional incumbents and electing mostly Republicans in state elections, too, would suffice as denouncing Obama and his policies, wouldn't you? Blocking traffic and burning buildings isn't necessary.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:07 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,408,767 times
According to exit polls around here, seniors did some very loud protesting.............this past November.

I still hear democrat party officials from SoCal on the radio screaming that the last election was illegitimate because it was mostly seniors who voted.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:27 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
According to Gallup,
U.S. Seniors Have Realigned With the Republican Party
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies