Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 01:24 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
He's a Baptist minister that has made any number of extremely controversial statements. He could never survive a general election with all of that. Extreme conservatives love him, but that's about all that love him.
You mean the 9 million extreme conservatives who stayed home when they offered up Romney, those extreme conservatives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 01:35 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
You mean the 9 million extreme conservatives who stayed home when they offered up Romney, those extreme conservatives?
9 million out of the 131+ million that voted in 2012? He might get those 9, but would lose most of the moderates.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:37 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
ABout as much chance of passing as an ice cube in hell.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:37 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Which is assuming that the reverse wouldn't of happened if say Rick Santorum won the primary. You are also failing to account for the fact that around 11 million less people voted in 2012 compared to 2008. This is all assuming that the number you put out is correct. I've seen anywhere from 3-9 millions touted as the numbers the right "claims" stayed home.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:38 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
9 million out of the 131+ million that voted in 2012? He might get those 9, but would lose most of the moderates.
And that's assuming that his numbers are correct.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:48 PM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
I wrote an oped about the Fair Tax like 5 years ago I think, and Neil Boortz mentioned it on his show. I am a firm and ardent proponent of any consumption based taxed and abolishing the IRS totally...and with that said, I know not only will such a tax never be implemented in this country, nobody who runs on such a tax as part of their platform will ever win the Presidency or even a Senate seat. Maybe redistricting a bunch of libertarians into a majority somewhere could get a House rep or two elected, but not statewide or federal general...no freaking way.

On top of that, Huckabee has too many public comments in print and video that paint his as religious nutbar. He's entirely too easy to demonize.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:02 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,365,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I wrote an oped about the Fair Tax like 5 years ago I think, and Neil Boortz mentioned it on his show. I am a firm and ardent proponent of any consumption based taxed and abolishing the IRS totally...and with that said, I know not only will such a tax never be implemented in this country, nobody who runs on such a tax as part of their platform will ever win the Presidency or even a Senate seat. Maybe redistricting a bunch of libertarians into a majority somewhere could get a House rep or two elected, but not statewide or federal general...no freaking way.

On top of that, Huckabee has too many public comments in print and video that paint his as religious nutbar. He's entirely too easy to demonize.
As Maxwell Smart would say " the old flat tax trick" Lets see, this idea has been lightly kicked around since 1996 and it is always someone campaign idea. And we have seen them all fail, Forbes in 96 and lately Cain with 9 9 9 in 2012. You are right the idea is never ever going no where because the establishment of both parties can draw power from the tax code.

I have no interest in the Huckster even though I support a flat tax and other reforms. He should just go back to FOX and play guitar and spew typical right wing talking points.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:08 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Repubs have been saying this for 35 years.

Forget it. The IRS ain't going anywhere.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:16 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
After confirming his run for president on The Jim Bakker Show ( one of the best interviews in my life time) he announced
"major house cleaning" once he inks policies from his constituents .....us. I'm considering campaigning but need to
dissect his platform first. Go gett'em Mike it's time to get the slime out of Dodge bro!
I'm all for any housecleaning that does need to get done in DC. The IRS and EPA both need to close, and we must cut back the number of appellate judges. And cut taxes waaaaayyyyyyyy back. Huckabee will be a welcome change if he goes for it and ends up winning the primaries.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:22 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Since congress would never go along with this, he'd need to have a lot more on his plate than that for me to support him.
Every wannabe attempts to create the public perception they are King and will, once elected, magically make stuff happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies