Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2015, 07:22 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Everyone would eventually end up working for few monopolies.
There's more regulations than at anytime in earth's history and you already are basically "working for few monopolies."

Prove that more regulations will somehow reverse that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 07:39 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
There's more regulations than at anytime in earth's history and you already are basically "working for few monopolies."

Prove that more regulations will somehow reverse that.
I didn't say anything about reversing anything.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:54 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Why do you keep assuming there would be no competition?

Travel to Minnesota. We have many natural lakes and ponds that have no tributaries.
Because if I was Standard Oil and there were no regulations, I would use every strategy at my disposal to eliminate any and all competition. And in the end, they would ALL be gone.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:02 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
So is yours unless you can compare and contrast each.
Says who?

Old 01-29-2015, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes because deregulation has worked so well in the past.

You are the one who is uninformed.
Still waiting for proof. Use something called facts for once.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
In a way, they are tied together. No government involvement in market regulation of any kind is as good as anarchy-inspire policy: no regulations, rules and laws to enforce.

But, to answer the original question: America wouldn't exist (chance of existence would be the same of existence of free market).
No they are not. Since when is one of governments defined role, enforce contracts, anarchy?

Old 01-29-2015, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I always love how the right talks about the massive regulations businesses face, but they never list what those regulations are .
I always love how the left talks about the massive regulations businesses face, but they never list what good those regulations do that the free market/society cannot accomplish itself

Old 01-29-2015, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Because if I was Standard Oil and there were no regulations, I would use every strategy at my disposal to eliminate any and all competition. And in the end, they would ALL be gone.
You have proof of this?

Old 01-29-2015, 12:28 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
No, they wouldn't because there would be no Standard Oil without regulations. It's government regulations that allow giant corporations to get their power. It's loopholes and cutouts and concessions and subsidies and licenses and all the rest of that stuff that enable companies with resources to strangle companies without resources and capture the market for themselves.

It's a point that leftists can't seem to comprehend. The big government you all want to control runaway abuse by corporations is exactly what allows runaway abuse by corporations.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:46 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,780,917 times
What has always boggled my mind about libertarians is that they seem to think that the best way to stop unethical businessmen from using government to create monopolies is to give them unlimited access to resources and labor along with the freedom to do whatever they want to the environment, culture, and health care... all while removing the ability of the very poor to survive (presumably so they would be forced to sell their organs... or better yet, crawl away and die so their organs can be harvested and sold at a higher profit margin).

They also seem to not know the difference between an ethical, people-centered society and an unethical, profit-centered society... as if a government that is a product of the latter is identical to a government that is a product of the former.

The current government is a product of a society fixated on capitalist greed... and so is everyone else. The entire culture has been poisoned by a shallow, frivolous culture that trumpets consumerism and wealth as the solution to all ills as well as a measure of your worth as a human being.

If you change the society to value harmony and happiness instead of material gain, then everyone in that society, including the politicians, will have a more ethical approach to everything they do. Unfortunately, Americans are so full of paranoia, greed and narcissism that their society will probably collapse long before they ever look to less materialistic cultures for inspiration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies