Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2015, 08:55 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The vic stated he stuck the gun in his waistband (see the video below).

White ‘vigilante’ puts 62-year-old black man in chokehold for legally carrying gun in Florida Walmart

The photos also show he wasn't wearing a holster.

one does not need a holster to carry concealed. they do have iwb clips for carrying concealed, no holster at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 08:57 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
ok, you saw some pictures of the injuries, and since you
have no medical training, you are unaware that just because a surface injury is
small, doesnt mean that more severe injuries are not hiding underneath. that is
one thing i learned as a student trainer. i saw injuries that looked horrible at
first, but once cleaned up they were tiny. i have also seen injuries that seemed
tiny, but when examined further were actually quite traumatic. pictures dont
tell the whole story.
OK.....so if Zimmerman was so badly beaten up and his life was in such imminent danger, why didn't he go directly to the hospital - or why wasn't he transported there by EMTs?

Old 01-23-2015, 08:57 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
The overwhelmingly most common way to carry concealed is an "inside waistband" holster.
Or a pocket holster.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:06 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
So given America's love affair with gun massacres, how am I supposed to know next time someone walks into a movie theater or wherever with a gun if they're just some patriotic right winger or a lunatic about to shoot the place up?

Oh, I forgot - that's why we're all supposed to walk into the movie theater armed and assuming that we may have to do a fast draw at any moment.
how about you pay attention to the person, the way they carry themselves, the look on their face, the feeling you get from them. there are "tells" that just about everyone gives off when they are planning something bad, and if you see the signs you can react properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
As a Florida resident myself, I think I can answer:

No. You do not simply "get used" to seeing people with guns. You don't just shrug it off. Usually if I see someone with a gun (which honestly is very, very rare ), I get away from that person or keep an eye on them.

Lots of crazy stories about yes... people shooting up malls, stores, etc. I don't expect a person with a gun to be a law abiding citizen, unless they're very obviously farmers or hunters.
oh please, stop with the fear of guns and people. as i noted there are signs that just about everyone gives off that they are going to do something bad, and if you see those signs, you can react. otherwise just leave the person be, because chances are they are in fact a law abiding citizen who is just exercising their second amendment rights, and they are not going to suddenly draw their gun and start shooting.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:11 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
how about you pay attention to the person, the way they carry themselves, the look on their face, the feeling you get from them. there are "tells" that just about everyone gives off when they are planning something bad, and if you see the signs you can react properly.

oh please, stop with the fear of guns and people. as i noted there are signs that just about everyone gives off that they are going to do something bad, and if you see those signs, you can react. otherwise just leave the person be, because chances are they are in fact a law abiding citizen who is just exercising their second amendment rights, and they are not going to suddenly draw their gun and start shooting.
Yep...like wearing a hoodie, eating skittles....and being in black-face.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:28 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
That's why open carry is not a good idea even though I'm 100% in support of concealed carry. People get nervous when firearms get handled and displayed in public.
Could be the guy profiled the gun owner because of his race, maybe he was just paranoid and afraid of anybody owning firearms. Either way, he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.
I had an experience two weeks ago where I saw a man and his wife/girlfriend exit a grocery store. It was about 20 degrees and the guy was in black shorts and a black short sleeve shirt, no coat. I saw he had a holstered weapon and I thought" What a dink. " Showing off the firearm to impress people and freezing your carcass to do it. Then a few days ago I saw him again talking to a store clerk who he apparently knew and who I knew. Same clothes( the shirt had some kind of logo), holstered sidearm, although now it was 25 degrees. I asked the clerk if the guy was a cop and he said yes he was. Okay, that gives him the justification although I know of other officers who off duty conceal carry.
The vigilante was lucky the shopper wasn't George Zimmerman....

Old 01-23-2015, 09:54 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am over 62 years old and if in the same circumstances I doubt if I would have remained in the choke hold for very long.
Unfortunately this vic was jumped by three guys, not just one. They held him down and immediately grabbed his gun before he had an opportunity to fire.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:56 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,084,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
OK.....so if Zimmerman was so badly beaten up and his life was in such imminent danger, why didn't he go directly to the hospital - or why wasn't he transported there by EMTs?
If someone is straddling me and beating my head into the concrete, I'm going to defend myself with deadly force after the first time my head hits concrete. I'm not going to take the time to decide if he is going to keep beating my head into the sidewalk till I have brain damage or not. It is entirely possible that if Zim did not defend himself, that he could have had brain damage or worse.
The standard for legal judgement is if the victim believes his life is in danger, he is legal to use deadly force.
The law doesnt say that you are only justified if you go to the hospital. The idea is to prevent having to go to the hospital or the morgue.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:06 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
one does not need a holster to carry concealed. they do have iwb clips for carrying concealed, no holster at all.
Agreed.

I was just responding to the post that said "Yep, if anyone is just "sticking a gun in their waste band" (no skin color involved) they are a potential bad guy, however, this guy had it holstered...."

He wasn't required to have a holster but it is possible some folks may have misinterpreted the situation. Sadly, there are probably still some stereotypes about armed black men walking into stores with weapons concealed in their waistbands.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:53 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
If someone is straddling me and beating my
head into the concrete, I'm going to defend myself with deadly force after
the first
time my head hits concrete.
You are assuming that things happened the way Zimmerman said they did. We have no reason to believe that they did happen that way.

Quote:
I'm not going to take the time to decide if he is
going to keep
beating my head into the sidewalk till I have brain damage or not.
It is
entirely possible that if Zim did not defend himself, that he could have
had
brain damage or worse.
How would anyone know? In his case, brain damage would have been an improvement.

Quote:

The standard for legal judgement is if the victim believes his life is in
danger, he is legal to use deadly force.
The law doesnt say that you are only justified if you go to the hospital. The
idea is to prevent having to go to the hospital or the morgue.
Last I heard, someone did end up in the morgue. And Zimmerman could have prevented this by not following this kid around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies