Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 09:35 AM

24,623 posts, read 19,105,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
please..define essential welfare so we can define "want"
Oh, that's rich.

We're still waiting for you to objectively define "Living Wage."

And "Basic Income."

And "Poverty."

And a host of other things.

Quote:
relative deprivation is rapidly rising......are you proud of this?
Who cares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
And there was certainly no lack of shame, either.
Shame is learned, just like all emotions are learned responses to external stimuli.

Just as you were taught to attach shame to certain stimuli, you can unlearn it.

No one living or dead can make you feel shame......you have to want to feel shame.

Pot...kettle...black...

Mircea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 10:01 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,727,548 times
I think its kinda easy to make an comparison between our poor and others from third world countries and come to an conclusion. But i believe we forget the emotional element to it. We can always say that things can be worse to minimise any situation. But for example, im sure for the US citizen who experiences homelessness for the first time in life, its probably the most worst rockbottom feeling of fear and hopelessness that they have ever felt at that time in life? Intill something worse comes along. Hopelessness is Hopelessness, Not to minimise starvation in other countries, logically thats far worse then being homeless, but on an emotional level for the person experiencing something its just still terrible.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:26 PM

46,891 posts, read 25,860,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Shame is learned, just like all emotions are learned responses to external stimuli.

No one living or dead can make you feel shame......you have to want to feel shame.
I emphatically disagree. We're social animals, and as such hardwired to seek acceptance. It takes freakin' boddhisatva-levels of detachment to abandon shame.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:57 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,388,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
good post tall traveler. Once poor, I saw it all around me. These people are looking for their next high. And if they do work, they don't have much drive to move upward.

There is a vast difference between working for someone else and working for yourself. I've seen people employed in sucky jobs go from 0 to 60 once they start working for themselves and not for The Man.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:23 AM

41,111 posts, read 25,666,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
There is a vast difference between working for someone else and working for yourself. I've seen people employed in sucky jobs go from 0 to 60 once they start working for themselves and not for The Man.
I agree. People should get Obama and Liz Warren to help them "build that".

Old 01-26-2015, 02:15 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,386,595 times
Quote:
Worked out just fine for me. I did it on my own, I didn't need government to help like you do.
Unless you're a member of the 1%, it didn't. Just because you enjoy getting screwed doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Unless you're a member of the 1%, it didn't. Just because you enjoy getting screwed doesn't mean it isn't happening.
No I don't enjoy it. Why do you think I can't stand Obama? He screwed a lot of people

Old 01-26-2015, 03:00 AM

34,274 posts, read 19,312,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Oh, that's rich.

We're still waiting for you to objectively define "Living Wage."

And "Basic Income."

And "Poverty."

And a host of other things.

Who cares?

Pot...kettle...black...

Mircea
I've defined basic income, and poverty before. I've even made a stab at the ol "living wage" based upon my opinion. And I have defined a host of other things. But you do your drive by posts and apparently never read them....then whine incessantly about not having them defined.

Who cares? The OP seems to care a lot. The OP started this with those very things somewhat undefined. Im not asking for the OP to define them to go on the attack, I am asking so we have data that can show where and what Americans are.

And what does shame have to do with this? Ohhh..because you want to make some moral argument about it based upon making the wealthy wealthier. got it.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:02 AM

Quote:
I've defined basic income, and poverty before. I've even made a stab at the ol "living wage" based upon my opinion. And I have defined a host of other things. But you do your drive by posts and apparently never read them....then whine incessantly about not having them defined.

Who cares? The OP seems to care a lot. The OP started this with those very things somewhat undefined. Im not asking for the OP to define them to go on the attack, I am asking so we have data that can show where and what Americans are.

And what does shame have to do with this? Ohhh..because you want to make some moral argument about it based upon making the wealthy wealthier. got it.
It must irk you that the rich got richer "during the Obama administration"

Old 01-26-2015, 03:11 AM

34,274 posts, read 19,312,630 times
Quote:
It must irk you that the rich got richer "during the Obama administration"
Not really, what irks me is that we have as a country failed to invest in things that matter, failed to help people get ahead, and failed to have a rising tide that raise all boats.

In fact....I LIKE rich people getting richer as long as they understand that starving the middle and lower classes of a share of it will eventually harm our economy-and them....and our countries inequality is a danger to their income long term.

That make sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies