Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 07:56 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
But Joe Madison or NPR is perfectly reasonable.......
I never listen to NPR, so no clue. The last time I tried, they had an interesting topic (non-political), but the host was talking in a low monotone. Is that supposed to sound intellectual? It reminds me of the SNL skit where the two ladies would have guests on the show and they talked like that. It was where Schweddy Balls came from. I have no idea how to spell that, sorry.

It is boring to listen to. I want a happy medium. I like where the hosts are friendly to the callers, don't constantly interrupt unless there is too much stammering or dead air, and take calls from people with varying opinions. We have a couple of radio hosts in the local area who do that. They also mix it up a bit and talk about things other than politics sometimes. It's very entertaining.

Last edited by katygirl68; 03-04-2015 at 09:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 01:48 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
There are certain radio personalties who seem to think self-aggrandizement is a requisite for the job. Then they have call screeners so they know what the person on the other end is planning to say. So all these reports that so and so destroyed someone is annoying to me. We don't know if they deliberately put people on who agree with everything they say with the occasional idiot and leave out the people with reasonable arguments. Sometimes a caller lies about what they want to talk about to the screener, and it irritates the host so much they hang up on them.

That's not entertaining to me. I might agree on some of the substance, but it's hard to listen to them all the time. We have a couple of local hosts that do not follow this formula, and their shows are very interesting. I'm hoping this trend in talk radio is going by the wayside.

The worst of these are Rush Limbaugh, Mark Levin, and Michael Savage. The latter two add yelling to the mix and it's even more annoying. I am conservative, but I cannot stand this radio formula.
Some act as if this something new.

"Walter Cronkite, the most trusted name in news"

We know how THAT turned out!

" but I cannot stand this radio formula" You act as if someone is FORCING you to listen.

You DON'T like it, DON'T listen and save you the headache!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies