Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 11:58 AM

2,345 posts, read 1,664,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2517 View Post
I'm sure...no, I'm positive...I'll get all kinds of grief for posting this , but I am pleased this happened! I truly thought AL would be one of the last states To quote a good friend of mine: Why should y'all be the only miserable ones? They were together for 30 years before they were married by a JOP (like hubby and I were) in MD and now have equal rights like the rest of us.

Judge Strikes Down Alabama's Gay Marriage Ban

This won't last. I live in Alabama. Assure this abusive move by this Godless Judge will be overturned. Wait and SEE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 12:00 PM

39,018 posts, read 51,036,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM05 View Post
This won't last. I live in Alabama. Assure this abusive move by this Godless Judge will be overturned. Wait and SEE.
Sadly, for you, you are wrong. The Supreme Court will uphold the rulings and gay marriage will soon be legal throughout the country including Alabama.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:01 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,070,046 times
Quote:
It's a total shame that our judges no longer rule using the Laws of God. Here's another marriage ruling by a God-following Judge that was struck down by the Godless:

"Almighty God created the races white, black, yellow, malay and red, and he placed them on separate continents. And but for the interference with his arrangement there would be no cause for such [interracial] marriages. The fact that he separated the races shows that he did not intend for the races to mix."

Old 02-03-2015, 12:02 PM

15,590 posts, read 10,325,098 times
Quote:
Perhaps our discussion should be in the religion section, but why is it "Godless" for a loving, adult couple to marry?

Old 02-03-2015, 12:06 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,955,510 times
Quote:
Why is Alabama so backwards? What you gonna do? Go burn a cross? I thank God that I've never driven through the Godless south.i know that there are good, decent people down there. But, it makes me sad when I read posts like yours.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:25 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,277,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishin2000 View Post
the only issue I have is with the use of the word "Marriage."
That is a word with an existing definition. If two gay folks want to enter into a binding union, then it needs it's own word.
Why? Because you have an issue? Why does anyone else have to do anything? It's your issue.

Quote:
I don't care if they live together. I don't care if they have all the legal and other benefits of a married couple, just come up with your own word.
Why? Because you have an issue? I don't care if you have an issue.

Quote:
What the courts are doing is not protecting rights, they are redefining the meaning of words. That I don't like.
They aren't, but it doesn't matter because what you don't like matters not a tinker's dam.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:27 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,668,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishin2000 View Post
the only issue I have is with the use of the word "Marriage."
That is a word with an existing definition. If two gay folks want to enter into a binding union, then it needs it's own word. I don't care if they live together. I don't care if they have all the legal and other benefits of a married couple, just come up with your own word.

What the courts are doing is not protecting rights, they are redefining the meaning of words. That I don't like.
All legally married americans *are* in civil unions. We know this because it is the state that issues the marriage license, not a church or other religious organization. The church part is completely optional.

The state does not ask whether you are religious when a marriage license is issued. Why you think that the word marriage should somehow be used to describe only certain legal marriages and not other legal marriages is beyond me.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:29 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,373,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2517 View Post
Amen!

Set aside all the legal and moral/religious/personal opinions, and try looking at it from a human rights standpoint: the right to make medical decisions for your partner that you've been with for 20++ years, the right to adopt a child (the US still have millions of kids in foster care and people ain't exactly beating down the doors to adopt them), the right to call your partner "your partner"...the right to pay & file married taxes (I think they said the state of AL will earn $200++ million?), the right to be recognized as legal next of kin...the right to inherit...these are rights we, the "straight folks", take for granted, the LGBT community does not have those rights - I have some very close friends who have been together for 30 years, they finally married (in MD) last year and they now have those rights...HOW many married, straight couples stay together that long, through thick and thin, sickness and health? They got married at home, by a JOP, pretty much the same as hubby & I - so to me they are "as married" as we are - not in "holy matrimony", but in the eyes of the law. One could argue from a religious standpoint that hubby and I are not "properly" married either, since it is, a civil/legal union.

What amazes me is that people cherry-pick what's written in the bible AND the constitution - one person's interpretation of said documents seems to be completely different from the next...I'll finish by quoting my newly married friend: "now we're legal to be equally as miserable and stuck as every other married couple"
As an add-on: apparently because I believe in equal rights for all, I am going to hell...
You missed one right. The right to have sex with your partner. That is a legal protection offered by getting hitched.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:34 PM

1,013 posts, read 907,197 times
I am still of the position gov should stay away from marriage from the start
What business does gov have to do with marriage anyway.

NOTHING.

gays + lesbians and bi or trans
Can do what they want I don't care just don't drag me or others into it.
Some of us just don't care.

You can marry your dog if you want.

gov shouldn't even be giving these rights to married couples in the first place.
a person can do what they want as they are free people.

not for or against gay marriage
but I don't want to here about this BS topic.
it is severely SO NOT IMPORTANT

Old 02-03-2015, 12:54 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,070,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen811 View Post
gov shouldn't even be giving these rights to married couples in the first place.
a person can do what they want as they are free people.
If we were to do away with marriage and the rights it confers, what would you do first - deport all the foreign born spouses of US citizens, or throw all the military wives out of base housing?

Last edited by hammertime33; 02-03-2015 at 01:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies