Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 01:52 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
That would not be a valid reason for not reciting the Pledge, or refusing to stand. We can all disagree on policies, but that shouldn't be a reason for not respecting the flag, and pledging allegiance. We have opportunity to fix those things which we do not like. It's called voting, running for office, or actively involving oneself in other ways to make our country better.
It is NOT up to you to decide what are valid positions for others. You have zero input in that. Why the insane desire to control what others do and believe when it's really none of your business?

Quote:
I don't. He has no position. It's disrespectful, and it's an insult to those who have fought and died for his Liberty and freedom.
As I said early on, you do not understand what people fought for.

Quote:
It doesn't though, does it? And it was Abraham Lincoln who said "[T]his nation, under God, ..." That is where those words came from, and why they were inserted into the pledge. Do you have a problem with that? Get over it.
I don't have a problem with it. I've recited it many times, but we will still note, you did not answer my question. I didn't really expect you would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If it's a charter school can't they throw him out? I would. It would apparently be the last lesson he learned.
Charter schools are not necessarily private schools. We don't know though since the OP won't say.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
So I talked with him this morning about why he doesn't want to stand, & he said it was because he didn't have to stand at the last charter school he went to. So again I think he is being lazy. So I asked him what does knowing the meaning behind it. He said sort of but also he doesn't believe that this country is free as the government says that we are. He's right we're not that free when you can't build a house that is off the grid in said state then your not free. When you can't smoke because people are offended by it then your not free. I am in no way saying that this country is the worst in the world but we are not free as we like to think we are either. Sure, there is always going to be someone telling to do something we don't want to or we don't like. I think he needs to suck it up & follow the rules he needs to get used to that.
Wow, you have charter schools all over the place? Personally I think you are making all of this up. Situations like this do happen and we have discussed it but in your case I don't believe it.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
He is a kid, and he must learn that sometimes you have to do things you don't like to do or want to do. It's a life lesson.
But he doesn't have to stand or recite the pledge. The courts and the Constitution say so.

Quote:
When he's an adult, he will have more liberties and choices. If he doesn't want a person telling him to wear a tie, he can quit his job.

It's always easier to not do what someone asks. Right now, it's time to learn what is hard.

Children do NOT have the same rights and liberties as adults, nor should they.
Not always but they do here.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Exactly, when he is in school, he should go by their rules....period.....making a big what to do about nothing....
makes me so sad.
Schools are not above the law, the courts and the Constitution.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:42 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I don't. He has no position. It's disrespectful, and it's an insult to those who have fought and died for his Liberty and freedom.
So he needs to show gratitude for his liberty and freedom by obeying government authority without question?

Seeing as nobody else has wanted to, perhaps you would be the one to present an argument that an enforced pledge is at all binding?

Old 01-26-2015, 02:54 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,428,238 times
The Pledge of Allegience is something that if it was done in communist countries the conservatives would cite it as proof that the people in those countries aren't free and the children are being indoctrinated. It also totally flies in the face of the idea of the individual being above the state

Old 01-26-2015, 02:56 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
But he doesn't have to stand or recite the pledge. The courts and the Constitution say so.

Not always but they do here.
And we see where that's gotten us.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:58 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Schools are not above the law, the courts and the Constitution.
If you make your child go to school, you really should go to the police station and turn yourself in by your logic.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
And we see where that's gotten us.
It made us the country we are. I have no idea what point you are trying to make and I kind of doubt you do either. It's exactly what the founders wanted. The government not being able to tell you what you must believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies