Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 02:50 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,930,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
There had to be starter money to have funded any investments.
That generally was earned.
Then there are people who will recognize that competently using ones brain is work just as is using your biceps and triceps

Well said!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 02:52 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,930,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
In a word:

Racism.

"Welfare" has been a cover for jim-crow style racial hysterial since Nixon. I am pretty hard-core conservative who thinks welfare is a pox on our society, but sometimes you just gotta call a spade a spade.
Maybe for some but not for me, I don't stereotype that way. I also know far more white leeches than black ones.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:41 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,695,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
A heated topic as always, I'm sure, but let's try to keep it civil and to the best of our abilities...factual...

I have read a lot of threads and posts concerning the current welfare system in the US, and it seems that a lot of people complain very loudly about welfare and it's recipients, but rarely offer any ideas about changes that could be made to both cut costs and still provide some level of support (financially and other) for those people/families that are unable to fully support themselves financially. So now I'm asking. If you could have the power to reform social welfare, what would be different, and to whom would it apply?

Would you eliminate food stamps, AFDC/TANF, Medicaid, Free/reduced lunch, WIC, job training, HUD? Bring back "poor farms"? Offer different benefits? Require adult recipients of all ages (including senior citizens) to work at least one full time job, if not 2? Remove children from homes that are struggling financially? Offer free child care for parents who are working full-time but still need help? Increase the ratio of workers to recipients, or even switch to the home-visiting model where the worker actually goes to the homes on a regular basis? Severely limit or increase the duration of time a person could recieve help? Seek funding/restitution from the recipients family members (parents, siblings, adult children..)? Put all social welfare into the hands of private/civic/religious organizations? Raise the federal poverty level so that more families could qualify for aid? Enforce mandatory sterilization?
Welfare is important because some people need the help but I would allow nobody to lay on their ass and collect it and do nothing. Very strict conditions should be attached including work or work training requirements for adults and school requirements for their children (attendance, academic and discipline). Drug testing would also be required. And it would be limited to 5 years during a lifetime.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:07 PM

4,510 posts, read 6,752,908 times
They have got to cut down on the fraud. There are numerous mothers who list the father of their child as "unknown" yet the child's father has actually been living in the home and in many cases is employed and would be able to support his family.

The following is an excerpt from an article I wrote on a political party based on Abraham Lincoln:

Civic, Family, and Social Welfare Incentives:

Provide a tax credit for documented time spent volunteering through an approved and recognized charity, church, or civic organization up to $2000 per individual.
Provide a marriage credit or child support credit of $2000 per parent. Parents paying child support will receive a credit if they are current with support payments. Parents entitled to child support will receive a credit if they have filed for child support identifying the parent responsible for payment. In any case in which the amount of the credit falls below the defined poverty level of income after deductions, credits, and exemptions then the person(s) filing would be entitled to a refund in that amount.
Provide a $15,000 annual exemption from federal and state taxes over and above the standard child deductions for each child adopted from the foster care program through age 18 or the completion of post-secondary education. The adopted child would be eligible for a federally-sponsored health care plan.
Provide an annual cash rebate for every year a former long-term recipient of welfare assistance remains employed and does not apply for assistance inversely related to the time they had received payments. For example a former recipient who had received payments for one year would be eligible for a one time rebate and a five or more year recipient would be eligible to receive rebates up to five years (capped).

Also, when did it become possible to provide braces for children whose parent is on welfare when it is not a medical necessity? Many working families are not able to afford the $4,000 or more for braces for their own children yet pay for them indirectly through their tax dollars?

Welfare is an important safety net that should provide a temporary assistance to those who need help in getting over a major life setback or getting on the right track. It should not become another Ponzi scheme run on the working/middle class by people who have no intention of ever working and have found another angle to avoid working.

For more information see Opinion Topics

Old 01-15-2009, 06:26 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,695,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
They have got to cut down on the fraud. There are numerous mothers who list the father of their child as "unknown" yet the child's father has actually been living in the home and in many cases is employed and would be able to support his family.

The following is an excerpt from an article I wrote on a political party based on Abraham Lincoln:

Civic, Family, and Social Welfare Incentives:

Provide a tax credit for documented time spent volunteering through an approved and recognized charity, church, or civic organization up to $2000 per individual.
Provide a marriage credit or child support credit of $2000 per parent. Parents paying child support will receive a credit if they are current with support payments. Parents entitled to child support will receive a credit if they have filed for child support identifying the parent responsible for payment. In any case in which the amount of the credit falls below the defined poverty level of income after deductions, credits, and exemptions then the person(s) filing would be entitled to a refund in that amount.
Provide a $15,000 annual exemption from federal and state taxes over and above the standard child deductions for each child adopted from the foster care program through age 18 or the completion of post-secondary education. The adopted child would be eligible for a federally-sponsored health care plan.
Provide an annual cash rebate for every year a former long-term recipient of welfare assistance remains employed and does not apply for assistance inversely related to the time they had received payments. For example a former recipient who had received payments for one year would be eligible for a one time rebate and a five or more year recipient would be eligible to receive rebates up to five years (capped).

Also, when did it become possible to provide braces for children whose parent is on welfare when it is not a medical necessity? Many working families are not able to afford the $4,000 or more for braces for their own children yet pay for them indirectly through their tax dollars?

Welfare is an important safety net that should provide a temporary assistance to those who need help in getting over a major life setback or getting on the right track. It should not become another Ponzi scheme run on the working/middle class by people who have no intention of ever working and have found another angle to avoid working.

For more information see Opinion Topics
Simple- you don't name the daddy- or the possible daddies, you get no welfare period.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:06 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,157,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
A heated topic as always, I'm sure, but let's try to keep it civil and to the best of our abilities...factual...

I have read a lot of threads and posts concerning the current welfare system in the US, and it seems that a lot of people complain very loudly about welfare and it's recipients, but rarely offer any ideas about changes that could be made to both cut costs and still provide some level of support (financially and other) for those people/families that are unable to fully support themselves financially. So now I'm asking. If you could have the power to reform social welfare, what would be different, and to whom would it apply?

Would you eliminate food stamps, AFDC/TANF, Medicaid, Free/reduced lunch, WIC, job training, HUD? Bring back "poor farms"? Offer different benefits? Require adult recipients of all ages (including senior citizens) to work at least one full time job, if not 2? Remove children from homes that are struggling financially? Offer free child care for parents who are working full-time but still need help? Increase the ratio of workers to recipients, or even switch to the home-visiting model where the worker actually goes to the homes on a regular basis? Severely limit or increase the duration of time a person could recieve help? Seek funding/restitution from the recipients family members (parents, siblings, adult children..)? Put all social welfare into the hands of private/civic/religious organizations? Raise the federal poverty level so that more families could qualify for aid? Enforce mandatory sterilization?

welfare reform.......................hhhhhmmmmmmmmm

I would like NO welfare available to anyone that is not listed in the Constitution at all.

no checks at all, no free health care at the expense of tax payers paying for it, not even 1 can of food.

want to eat, then get off your fat butt and go out and work for it. want to get some help, then go to a private charity who do better than goverment has ever done, with less money and more services than any goverment shall ever provide.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:13 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,610,333 times
Well for those able bodied I would put them to work on the infrastructure and cancel their welfare. Then not give it back to them if they quit or got fired.Some how we need to stop the welfare bandwagon i thsi country where so many are a total drag on the economy. That would also allow us to help those with true disablities more. ;so that they had a better life.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:29 AM

23,155 posts, read 26,094,380 times
Even without speculating about any massive changes, one thing that could be done easily, right now, is to increase greatly the number of investigators so enforcement of existing rules can be made possible.
The savings alone would be enough to pay the extra salaries.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:38 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,219,543 times
I'd prefer to see corporate welfare stop immediately.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:10 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,319,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
You won't work and you are able bodied?

STARVE.

Simple as that.

I'm sick and tired of seeing people ahead of me pay for their groceries with the "welfare" card and then waddle out to their 50K SUV.

I'm sick of hearing people who do seasonal work (construction, landscaping, ect...) talk about how they go on unemployment every flipping year for several months while still working side jobs for under the table cash.

Welfare is morally wrong. It's wrong to FORCE me to pay the way for those that are lazy. Make no mistake, the vast majority of those on welfare are lazy scum looking for a handout.

We have roads than need plowed, schools that need maintenance, homeless that need fed, trash that needs picked up and on and on... Can't we force those that receive welfare/food stamps to put in 40 hours a week helping out their community? I'd think there would be something that would be benificial to the community could be found for nearly everyone to do instead of sitting at home on their butts, smoking weed, watching the soaps.

Even if it costs more int he short term I want welfare fraud investigated and prosecuted relentlessly. I also want these people put to work.
welfare already has a work program. Have you thought maybe that that welfare person that owns an SUV may have once had a job and that this person bought a car during that time and is now laid off and couldn't find a job and their unemployment ran out? Not everyone on welfare is lazy. Someday you may lose your job, and you may be in their shoes, and I would hate to think that you couldn't get help. Your views of welfare people are really tainted. Not all sit home and watch soap opras and smoke weed. being on welfare is really demeaning for many people. and the county does get them an education. but there are not always enough jobs to go around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies