Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 09:08 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Just fine in the vast majority of the country. The vast majority of children get up every morning, go to school and study. Many actually work hard enough to get decent grades and go on to college, which they or their parents actually, you know, pay for.

I'd suggest a different approach. The opportunity of taxpayer funded education is a privilege, one that should be appreciated. But like most things handed out with no effort involved, it's not appreciated. We should be charging tuition, at a minimal level, for schools. Not a lot, say $10 a month per student. The parent that actually has to pay for their kid to go to school might be a bit motivated to see that their kid shows up and actually does something.
So you want to penalize poor families $10 per month instead of doling out $10 per "A" on the report card?

Either way you are paying but in one scenario school attendance plummets and in the other school attendance and grades skyrocket.

Cash is a great incentive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 09:19 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
So you want to penalize poor families $10 per month instead of doling out $10 per "A" on the report card?

Either way you are paying but in one scenario school attendance plummets and in the other school attendance and grades skyrocket.

Cash is a great incentive.
Giving out a cash bonus for good grades is all up to their parents, not our government. And our government needs to get LESS involved in our lives, not moreso.

My parents told us that their job as adults was to provide for our family, and our jobs as kids were to go to school and get good grades. And as long as we gave schooling our best efforts, they would support us. Slack off and go out and get a job and pay them rent. That simple.

Bad students need their parents taken to task for not being tiger parents. And the rest of the public shouldn't be punished with increased taxes to help out these dysfunctional families.

If they are on Section 8 housing, their certificates should be in jeopardy if their kids are failing in school. If the family's BMI index is too high, then pull their food stamps until they are in a healthy weight range. Food stamps should not be going to feed overweight people. It's okay to feel hungry.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Giving out a cash bonus for good grades is all up to their parents, not our government. And our government needs to get LESS involved in our lives, not moreso.

My parents told us that their job as adults was to provide for our family, and our jobs as kids were to go to school and get good grades. And as long as we gave schooling our best efforts, they would support us. Slack off and go out and get a job and pay them rent. That simple.

Bad students need their parents taken to task for not being tiger parents. And the rest of the public shouldn't be punished with increased taxes to help out these dysfunctional families.

If they are on Section 8 housing, their certificates should be in jeopardy if their kids are failing in school. If the family's BMI index is too high, then pull their food stamps until they are in a healthy weight range. Food stamps should not be going to feed overweight people. It's okay to feel hungry.
But the "government" is already spending YOUR tax money on a whole slew of educational programs. You'd think other conservatives would understand this and celebrate the elimination of teacher's unions from the process of payment but I guess not.

All of your proposals won't fly at the federal level so why not simply pay the kids?

If you don't pay to provide incentive in school then you will just end up paying to incarcerate the results of the "drain money from education" movement anyway. Its a matter of picking one scenario or the other.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:34 AM

19,827 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Quote:
But the "government" is already spending YOUR tax money on a whole slew of educational programs. You'd think other conservatives would understand this and celebrate the elimination of teacher's unions from the process of payment but I guess not.

All of your proposals won't fly at the federal level so why not simply pay the kids?

If you don't pay to provide incentive in school then you will just end up paying to incarcerate the results of the "drain money from education" movement anyway. Its a matter of picking one scenario or the other.
How do you propose eliminating teacher's unions?

Old 01-25-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
How do you propose eliminating teacher's unions?
There is no need to "eliminate" teacher's unions. But we can work to focus more money on the kids.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:34 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,366,177 times
Quote:
Yeah, I hear 'ya. I gotta go to work tomorrow but I'm not accepting a salary because I don't take bribes.

I work for free due to my "innate drive for high achievement".
I guess I got it wrong.

I always thought that filling your brain went towards filling your pockets.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:52 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
If I had a smart kid that was lazy, I wouldn't pay them, I'd charge them when they did poorly. We always believed in checking homework, helping them study and quizzing them prior to a test to assure that they understood the content.

All it takes is caring, unselfish parents.

All we expected was for them to do their best.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:00 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
If I had a smart kid that was lazy, I wouldn't pay them, I'd charge them when they did poorly. We always believed in checking homework, helping them study and quizzing them prior to a test to assure that they understood the content.

All it takes is caring, unselfish parents.

All we expected was for them to do their best.
My parents did a bit of both. A C got me nothing, A's and B's made me money, and D's and F's lost me money. It wasnt a ton of money. More of a "thats nice".

Old 01-26-2015, 04:02 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
My parents did a bit of both. A C got me nothing, A's and B's made me money, and D's and F's lost me money. It wasnt a ton of money. More of a "thats nice".
That's fair.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:06 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
It would be more instructive to children to structure the system so that the schools in richer neighborhoods pay higher for good grades than the schools in poor neighborhoods, and the poorer schools randomly send a percentage of those who don't get good grades to detention during the time the should be in class, so they fall even further behind. That would be far more realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies