Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 09:21 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Perhaps because the democrats' policies have failed to improve the lives of black voters and black citizens, again and again?
What is your metrics? Anyone who believes that the lives of blacks, overall, has not improved since the 60's is ignorant or dishonest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 09:21 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
I'm not sure what the big deal about the black vote is.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:32 AM

People seem to believe that the Democrat and Republican parties are the equivalent of a binary switch that is either on or off. In other words, if the Democrats fail (off) at something, then by default it means that the Republicans would have success (on) or if the Republican failed that the Democrats would have had success. That is not how it works in really. Just because some of the Democratic policies have had side effects and or have not completed brought about equality of outcome, such does not mean, by default, that Republican polices could or would have. It's possible that had they had their way, things would be much worse for African Americans.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:34 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Really? If that were the case, they'd have to stop using the Southern Strategy and race-coded language to appeal to the low-information racist and redneck sectors. It'd also be good if they stopped insulting black people with that "plantation" and "slave" bullcrap.

Did you mean Joe Biden? "They're going to put [blacks] back in chains"

The vast majority of blacks know we're capable, etc......but we also know that discrimination is real and lingers powerfully. If the Republicans (who appeal to racism on one hand and then cynically claim we're all one big happy family on the other) wish to really appeal to everyone, they need to repudiate the Klan wing and stop insulting minorities in general.

No we don't know "discrimination is real and lingers powerfully". I don't believe it does, but the democrats are deeply invested in keeping some believing it does, thus their need for promoting identity politics instead of failure regarding these issues.
See my response bolded.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Democratic policies have had side effects and or have not completed brought about equality of outcome, such does not mean, by default, that Republican polices could or would have. It's possible that had they had their way, things would be much worse for African Americans.
equality of outcome? So if I bust my ass and you don't why should we have equality of outcome?

Old 01-26-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
What is your metrics? Anyone who believes that the lives of blacks, overall, has not improved since the 60's is ignorant or dishonest.
I was addressing your statement in my post. Quoting you, " ....how do they explain black poverty being 3 times the rate of white poverty, being that they dismiss the role of past and present racism in the creation of and maintenance of the skew, as “excuses” and the “race card”?

Are you taking your previous statement back?

Old 01-26-2015, 09:43 AM

If a group of voters overwhelmingly supports a particular political party of its candidates regardless of performance or circumstances, what need is there for either the party or its candidates to give anything other than lip service to the group? That's been the case for years and continues up until present day.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I was addressing your statement in my post. Quoting you, " ....how do they explain black poverty being 3 times the rate of white poverty, being that they dismiss the role of past and present racism in the creation of and maintenance of the skew, as “excuses” and the “race card”?

Are you taking your previous statement back?
Lets follow your line of reasoning then. What has made blacks more susceptible to democratic policies than whites, if it is the policies of Democrats that are too blame?

Old 01-26-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Lets follow your line of reasoning then. What has made blacks more susceptible to democratic policies than whites, if it is the policies of Democrats that are too blame?
Would you rephrase? I'm not understanding your question.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:52 AM

170 posts, read 133,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
This thread epitomizes exactly why I wouldn't vote Republican. I'm not bothered by the varying levels of racism being spouted here. Those people don't care about getting Black votes so their points are irrelevant. It's the supposed "non-racist" Conservatives lacking the balls to stand up to them that will stop me from ever voting Republican in the foreseeable future.

If you want to lock arms with them and support their idiotic views & stereotypes on race -- have at it. Just don't ask me why I'm not showing up at your next Klan rally.
Could not have said it better. It seems that Republicans and their supporters attempt to bob & weave hoping to escape their true colors. I remember Jesse Helms being challenged by Harvey Gant for senator. When the race tightened, Helms went for the jugular in a racist commercial (white application tossed in trash). Same situation in Tennessee with Bob Corker against Harold Ford. In order to sway the voters near the end, Corker ran commercials of Harold Ford with white women. Those ads will do the trick every time with those type of voters.

Republican candidates are scary!

Also, I will never forget Lee Atwater's death bed confession. May you RIP for finally telling the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies