Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 12:31 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Few if any recruits come into the military with head lice anymore."
I think I asked you fro anything to back p your claim other then your opinion. have you provided any?

"There are a number of reasons for the increased prevalence of head lice today. It used to be that head lice were found primarily in lower socioeconomic families, but upper and middle class families today are dealing with head lice. Some of the contributing factors may be:
  • Increased activities with other children (sports, music, dance, gymnastic) where kids come together. These activities, even though they may be worthwhile, may increase contact with infested kids.
  • The increased numbers of children in nursery school, daycare centers and after school care. Again, there may be increased contact with infested kids.
  • Lice that have developed resistance to many over-the-counter products.
  • Products may not be as effective as they used to be.
  • Parents who are so busy that they don't check their children for lice or treat them appropriately. It should be a routine part of grooming children.
  • Head lice are obligate parasites which means that they must have human blood to survive. They do not survive very well away from their host because they lose their food and moisture source. Lice tend to dehydrate fairly easily, especially when humidity is low and temperatures are high."
Head Lice Questions/Answers

"that belongs just as much to women as it does to men." I never claimed otherwise. You spend way too much time trying to read between the lines when there is nothing there.

from your Wikipedia site, "This article does not cite any references or sources." which means it has NO credibility.

And then when you have nothing value to add you throw out the pathetic race card.
There was no race card thrown...i told the truth based on your post history. Or at least the part of your post history that i can remember.

Calling the military an old boys club is totally indicative of your disappointment with the fact that you didn't inherit your dad's world. The military isn't an old boys club and hasn't been in decades.

And you didn't ask me to provide any links regarding head lice. All you said was this:

Quote:
You make these "informed" claims of fact based on what other then your opinion.
Anything about lice in that line?

Nothing of value to add? LMAO...You've not typed a line with an value in it on this whole thread.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
If they are going to do the SAME job they should have to meet the physical requirement of that job.

If the women can do the same job WITH LOWER physical demands then the demand should be lowered for the men.

The job is the job.
Really?

So women doing the job as a 92A should have the same physical requirements on the PT test as a man with that MOS because "the job is the job?"

Are you gonna start making some sense on this thread, or keep spitting the same old chauvinistic platitudes?

Old 04-24-2015, 12:11 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,275,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So women doing the job as a 92A should have the same physical requirements on the PT test as a man with that MOS because "the job is the job?"
Are you gonna start making some sense on this thread, or keep spitting the same old chauvinistic platitudes?
For men to qualify to join the military they have to go through different tests including physical. If women get a pass to not have to go through the same physical requirements as men then why not give the same opportunity to other males who are out of shape, can’t do even half of what other men do, etc.? Everybody should be given the opportunity TO TRY joining the military but doesn’t mean everybody qualifies. I am not sure why women are given a pass.

If I am in the front lines or any other mission, I rather have a 200+ lbs guy on my side than a 115 lbs. woman. I am sure I am not the only one.

Last edited by onihC; 04-24-2015 at 12:32 PM..

Old 04-24-2015, 12:31 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,049,410 times
I agree that the hair-length standards should be the same for both sexes. However I'm far more concerned with double standards related to Selective Service and physical competency tests.

I suspect that the reasoning in regards to hair length is traditional. One of the primary functions of the military is to enforce conformity to cultural standards. For a man, to have long hair is to rebel against cultural norms. For a woman, long hair reinforces those cultural norms.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:35 PM

428 posts, read 344,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
They should at least make the ugly ones shave.
lol. Exactly.

It's a hard one to call, but I think I can see having different gender-based appearance standards. At the same time, there should be a fairly rigid gender-based assignment to MOS.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:46 PM

39,075 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Men may not like the short hair, but it is not humiliating, degrading and embarrassing as it would be to most women. Women, even those in uniform, take a great deal of interest in their appearance.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Women, even those in uniform, take a great deal of interest in their appearance.
Men in the military are more concerned about serving their country than looking cute.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Men in the military are more concerned about serving their country than looking cute.
Geez..

If you're gonna resurrect ancient threads, at least say something pithy.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Geez..

If you're gonna resurrect ancient threads, at least say something pithy.
Then let us know your opinion on Ponderosa's post or mine. You agree or disagree?

Old 04-24-2015, 01:09 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
This is something that's never made sense to me: why are female recruits allowed to have longer hair than dudes? If a battle broke out; a female would be at a disadvantage in hand to hand if her adversary could grab her hair.

I'm NOT talking about covert ops when our people need to blend in with the local population either if that calls for long hair. I'm talking about our service members on regular duty.
I pretty much thought that when women joined the armed forces, regardless of the branch, they got shaved just like the men????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies