Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 02:15 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,862,788 times

Advertisements

Well either one of these great men could theoretically be presidents ( but there is a crying need if we are to regain greatness) I prefer Ben as VP not as a default or less qualified, but he is a key to diplomacy unlike anyone in history! And although I confess that speculation to a degree drives my conclusions I "get" this duet as our renaissance lead by the reconstruct of a government mired in self destructive policies and a great nation running on empty . The downside though is what any candidate will inherit post very very harsh projections for the Fall of 2015 where the world economy ( global economic collapse ) plus a separate market correction in Wall Street based on circumstances not appropriate for this section.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 02:17 PM

79,900 posts, read 43,866,989 times
Huckabee is too divisive to win. Not that he hasn't been discussed here in many threads already.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:27 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,443,724 times
Huckabee could very certainly win. The only people who truly believe he couldn't are people who mistakenly believe that Christianity is some sort of marginal, out of the mainstream belief system in this country, which could not be further from the truth. And, Huckabee is a pretty moderate Christian, especially for someone who is a former minister.

The top three Republicans I will be watching are Mike Huckabee, Marco Rubio and Scott Walker. There are certainly plenty of others that could win the Republican nomination, but these three have the skill, broad electoral appeal, and the stature to distinguish themselves directly with the voters, not just in the Republican primary, but in the general election as well.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:28 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,635,789 times
I wouldn't want a theocrat as my president.

No thank you

Old 01-25-2015, 02:29 PM

12,998 posts, read 13,577,220 times
Huckabee doesn't have a chance in hell. The business wing of the GOP (which is to say it's controlling interest by far) doesn't like him. He wouldn't even come close to getting the nomination. If he did run, it would be an insurgency campaign.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:31 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,523,307 times
This ticket would be a shoo-in...for laughs!

Old 01-25-2015, 02:34 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,862,788 times
To an extent I agree he will be like a human vacuum cleaner slam dunking the IRS, courts,budgets, crime ( load your guns people) gun diplomacy (load your 16 inch guns! )If you are a threat to the US you will die in a ball of fire. Mike will slice and dice radical Islam! I'm perpetually skeptical of any humans
in the political arena , but not disconnected to where I don't
recognize other candidates and I sincerely believe there are
absolutely great people in government most being patriots
and great Americans doing their best !

Last edited by openmike; 01-25-2015 at 02:44 PM..

Old 01-25-2015, 02:53 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,443,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Huckabee doesn't have a chance in hell. The business wing of the GOP (which is to say it's controlling interest by far) doesn't like him. He wouldn't even come close to getting the nomination. If he did run, it would be an insurgency campaign.
You might want to reconsider that with your brain turned on. Of course if he was running for the Democratic nomination, he would have no chance. I think you may be projecting your views from what the Democratic electorate's perspective onto the Republican electorate, which suffice it to say is not a sound basis for analyzing Huckabee's chances.

Here is something for you to consider, if you can imagine the many millions of Republican primary voters evaluating Huckabee without your pre-established biases against him. From an article at Real Clear Politics a few weeks ago that focuses on Huckabee's prospects in the early primaries (Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, Nevada, then the first Super Tuesday race:

Mike Huckabee's Best Friend: The Calendar

1. Huckabee leads the hypothetical GOP field by 6.2 percent in the latest RealClearPolitics average of Iowa polls and has held or shared the lead when included as an option in every public survey conducted in the state this year.

2. In 2008, Huckabee decided to compete anyway in the Granite State, and his somewhat respectable yet distant third-place showing there slowed the momentum he had generated in Iowa....There is little doubt that the state poses the highest hurdle for Huckabee on the early nominating calendar, but one that he is poised to sidestep rather than scale.

3. The higher profile first-in-the-South primary in South Carolina indeed remains a particularly enticing prize for Huckabee, who finished in a close second place to John McCain there in 2008....there is little doubt that a substantial segment of the South Carolina Republican electorate remains culturally and ideologically aligned with Huckabee—giving him a distinct chance of success in a state where he retains a wide swath of loyal friends and advisers.

4. Assuming Mitt Romney—who won Nevada in both 2008 and 2012—does not enter the 2016 race, that state will be up for grabs, and Huckabee’s aides believe he is well-positioned to compete there. One reason is that Nevada hosts a caucus rather than a primary—a restrictive format conducive to strong turnout from the kinds of deeply committed backers that Huckabee tends to attract, though it figures for that reason to be perhaps even more advantageous to Rand Paul.

5. But Huckabee’s most valuable trump card in the entire 2016 calendar comes on March 1 when officials from five states in the heart of the former Confederacy—Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Mississippi and Tennessee—are taking steps toward hosting what would effectively become a Super Southern Primary. In 2008, Huckabee was the victor in each of those southern states except for Mississippi, which held its primary a week after he dropped out of the race.

6. “You can’t line up states better,” a Huckabee confidant said of the proposed March 1 southern primaries. “And that brings into play who the real southerner in the race is. Ted Cruz and Rick Perry, with all due respect to Texans, they’re just not southerners like an Arkansan, a Mississippian, South Carolinian or Alabaman. They’re just not.”

Huckabee will likely finish in the top two in Iowa (#1 in 2008), South Carolina (#2 in 2008) and with that momentum he could place in the top three in Nevada. In the Super Tuesday states, if he wins 4 of five again like he did in 2008, the fact that these are all early this time will propel him past the first two rounds of major cuts in the Republican field. That alone will establish him as a major factor in this race, which as some people here appear to be forgetting he was in 2008 as well.

Keep reading the Daily Kos talking points on this is you want to. But Huckabee is a smooth operator and a very attractive candidate to many Americans. And after eight years of Obama, many people will be looking for a massive change and not more of the same (cough...Hillary...cough).

Old 01-25-2015, 02:59 PM

79,900 posts, read 43,866,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Huckabee could very certainly win. The only people who truly believe he couldn't are people who mistakenly believe that Christianity is some sort of marginal, out of the mainstream belief system in this country, which could not be further from the truth. And, Huckabee is a pretty moderate Christian, especially for someone who is a former minister.
I don't think that but yet, I do not think he stands a chance.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:59 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,816,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I wouldn't want a theocrat as my president.

No thank you
This is the bottom line. Americans may be overwhelmingly Christian, but that doesn't mean they want their government to be a theocracy. And that's what Huckabee would bring to the ticket.

Carson would simply be the comic relief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies