Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 11:05 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times

Advertisements

Cool, i like living a simplistic life..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 11:22 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
OP do you mean like government housing?

Old 01-26-2015, 11:41 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
No...that would create what is known in economics as "the paradox of thrift". If consumers and the government attempts to live within it's mean, anytime soon, the economy would collapse and the attempt at frugality would actually backfire and likely end up making it harder for you to survive. At this point our economy is totally dependent upon debt and profligate spending.

That having been said, I agree with the OP in regards to what is going to happen soon, although I do not know what it is going to look like. In honesty, the economy is more resilient than I thought. I predicted, incorrectly (and I am glad that I am wrong), that we would tank again in 2014. However, I think the world has an interest in propping up our economy....lest the whole world goes down the drain from the vortex of our descent.
Yes, sadly, our economy is now dependant on debt. But it is still prudent for as many as possible to stay out of debt. It makes surviving a downturn in the economy much more easy to navigate.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:52 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Yes, sadly, our economy is now dependant on debt. But it is still prudent for as many as possible to stay out of debt. It makes surviving a downturn in the economy much more easy to navigate.
Until they begin taxing you on worth as well as income.

Liberals want to fund "free" college using the 529 money I have saved.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

I know. I saw your post the other day regarding this and I meant to tell you at that time how much I admire your determination and planning in regard to this. I wish I had been that diligent!

Old 01-26-2015, 12:09 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
I do not agree. Say you get out of debt and save money....and the dollar collapses....along with your saving. Say you get out of debt and put money in the market and stocks collapse....again....poof....no safety net. Say things crash.....what will be the value of "good credit" in an economic collapse....where lending has dried up? Now....I understand that you do not want people to be able to come and TAKE your home or transportation.....but if you go broke eventually, even if you own your home free and clear....if you cannot pay the taxes on the property they can and will confiscate your home.

Unless they bring back debtors prisons......It might be prudent to rack up as much debt as you can on things that you can barter.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:13 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

Good....you're one of those "greedy 1%" that lefties are always whining about!

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
Jobs for native-born Americans are becoming scarcer. Wages are being forced down. 70% of Americans are living paycheck-to-paycheck; the fact that so many have nice cars, premium cable, live in a house, etc., is a facade, an illusion, as so many of them are drowning in debt. The young adults are "hiding out" in the educational system, praying that the economy will improve by the time they get their 2nd Master. Do you really think we can keep this up for another 20 years? The party will come to an end at some point.

Cool story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I do not agree. Say you get out of debt and save money....and the dollar collapses....along with your saving. Say you get out of debt and put money in the market and stocks collapse....again....poof....no safety net. Say things crash.....what will be the value of "good credit" in an economic collapse....where lending has dried up? Now....I understand that you do not want people to be able to come and TAKE your home or transportation.....but if you go broke eventually, even if you own your home free and clear....if you cannot pay the taxes on the property they can and will confiscate your home.
True. But for the here and now, owning my home means no mortgage payment. No credit card debt means no spending above my means. I can't control what will happen after the collapse that I do indeed believe will occur. But I can to a greater degree control what happens in my financial life NOW if I have more liquidity.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:23 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
the fact that so many have nice cars, premium cable, live in a house, etc., is a facade, an illusion, as so many of them are drowning in debt.
its not the fact that they living in an illusion but the fact they are living above their means, they cannot live on a budget, its gimme gimme I want it now. It not that pickups cost 50k but the fact somebody will pay 50k for a pickup.

if people would not finance everything and pay the high prices, then the mfg would have to lower the cost to stay in business. basiclly supply and demand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies