Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2015, 12:43 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Quite correct. Texas keeps very strict tabs on DGU (defensive gun uses) as part of the law that allowed for Concealed Carry. On the whole not only are concealed gun owners less likely to commit crime then the average population they were less likely then POLICE to commit a crime.

Further, non-LEO folks using a firearm in self defense were found to have better accuracy, shoot the wrong people less, and have less collateral damage and injury when using their firearm.
Indeed. This is due, largely, to the fact that citizen self defense shooting see a far less number of rounds fired, because, they areytrained and practiced to realize, the purpose of shooting is to HIT the target, with properly aimed fire. Police shooting doctrine, these days, is to put a copious amount of projectiles in the air, thinking that at least one will hit a vital area.

Having gone to high capacity weapons, has trapped police in that mindset. I have not ever looked at a civilian self defense shooting that involved the defender hosing down range with entire magazines, let alone slapping in another and keeping it up. Two to three rounds fired is the average, whilst LE shootings show an average that's on par with battlefield fire. Usually at lone assailants as well.

Its a cold fact, and one that not a single civilian self defense hater can refute. If they don't just ignore it, when it comes up, and attack spelling and grammar instead. Supreme court rulings that bolster the fact we can't rely on the police for protection, are also, conveniently, ignored. Since SCOTUS DID rule, that the police are not obligated, as LE officers, in any way, to protect citizens, to me, that speaks volumes, as to who IS responsible . That would be We The People.

That answer was obvious, but I put it up for the benefit of those amongst us who are ...rationally challenged..and would rather roll over and die, or let their loved ones die, than consider growing a spine, and defending that which matters most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 12:55 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,250,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Wyoming has the largest per capita suicide rate in the nation! guess how!
When a family owns guns, it's easy for one family member to make it look like another family member committed suicide. It's an efficient way for families to get rid of their most annoying members. If we attack the 2nd amendment, we attack the right to efficiency.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:09 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Indeed. This is due, largely, to the fact that citizen self defense shooting see a far less number of rounds fired, because, they areytrained and practiced to realize, the purpose of shooting is to HIT the target, with properly aimed fire. Police shooting doctrine, these days, is to put a copious amount of projectiles in the air, thinking that at least one will hit a vital area.

Having gone to high capacity weapons, has trapped police in that mindset. I have not ever looked at a civilian self defense shooting that involved the defender hosing down range with entire magazines, let alone slapping in another and keeping it up. Two to three rounds fired is the average, whilst LE shootings show an average that's on par with battlefield fire. Usually at lone assailants as well.

Its a cold fact, and one that not a single civilian self defense hater can refute. If they don't just ignore it, when it comes up, and attack spelling and grammar instead. Supreme court rulings that bolster the fact we can't rely on the police for protection, are also, conveniently, ignored. Since SCOTUS DID rule, that the police are not obligated, as LE officers, in any way, to protect citizens, to me, that speaks volumes, as to who IS responsible . That would be We The People.

That answer was obvious, but I put it up for the benefit of those amongst us who are ...rationally challenged..and would rather roll over and die, or let their loved ones die, than consider growing a spine, and defending that which matters most.
I'm glad to see someone besides myself think that high capacity semi-autos have had a negative effect on law enforcement. At least on the rank and file patrol cops. SWAT type units are another matter. When cops were carrying 6 shot revolvers they seemed more careful to be sure of their target, to make every shot count, and to use cover to get out of harm's way. Now most cops carry 17 round Glocks with a couple of extra mags. So 51 rounds on tap. I believe this gives some cops (if not most) a feeling of invincibility. They think they can blast their way out of any situation with all of that firepower. I think this explains why so many cops are "amped up" and more likely to overreact than cops were in the past.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I'm glad to see someone besides myself think that high capacity semi-autos have had a negative effect on law enforcement. At least on the rank and file patrol cops. SWAT type units are another matter. When cops were carrying 6 shot revolvers they seemed more careful to be sure of their target, to make every shot count, and to use cover to get out of harm's way. Now most cops carry 17 round Glocks with a couple of extra mags. So 51 rounds on tap. I believe this gives some cops (if not most) a feeling of invincibility. They think they can blast their way out of any situation with all of that firepower. I think this explains why so many cops are "amped up" and more likely to overreact than cops were in the past.
You are , quite correct, and we are in total agreement. The "wondernine" craze, that started in the 80s, has spiraled into a very negative impact on LE. LAPD was the first agency to, officially, adopt the hi cap 9mm. Smith and Wesson and Beretta were the two makes they selected. This all started on the heels of the military adopting the Berretta M9, and ditching the 1911 A1, because of NATO standardization.

I have not seen a revolver or single stack auto in a duty holster for a very long time. An M4 is now also standard patrol issue. As you say, the spray and pray, and blast away, mentality, is a serious problem. And not with civilian firearms self defense. I am actually very surprised that there has not been a lot more "collateral damage" associated with police shootings.

Of course, bystanders in proximity to this would understand, very quickly, that its a good idea to take cover or beat feet. Saturday night in Lebanon, comes to mind.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:54 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times
Also the switch from double action revolvers to striker fired semi-autos like Glocks has led to a big increase in the number of unintended discharges. There's even a new medical condition that reflects this: "Glockfoot".

Old 02-01-2015, 02:38 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,368,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Nowhere is what you are saying more evident than what happened in Cleveland just a couple years ago. Police fired 135 rounds in to a single car to execute two unarmed suspects, bonnie-n-clyde style....

13 Cleveland police officers who fired 137 rounds into car, killing 2, expected to be interviewed by investigators today (videos) | cleveland.com

In all fairness, they thought the crack-head suspects had a gun, but still. 135 rounds? Yeah, we're much safer letting them defend us. They just throw a lot of led and hope one piece actually hits it's mark.
Or in New York where the "highly trained" police opened fire on a suspect and shot 9 bystanders as well.
NYPD: 9 shooting bystander victims hit by police gunfire | Fox News

"I believe it was handled well," Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said. Handled well, and these are the people the left thinks are best qualified to carry firearms.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:53 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,992,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Actually, you are wrong. SCOTUS upheld keeping a loaded gun in your home is protected under the 2nd amendment.
You can keep a gun in your home. With permission you can carry one outside your home.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:55 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,992,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Medicine is a lot like that, plenty of alternative negative consequences to treating people but the outlook of having medicine there to intercede far outweighs the risks involved.

Scenario 4, 5, and 6 are astoundingly rare. Scenario 7 is unlikely because women tend to use poisoning vs. firearms. Interestingly you don't advocate a ban on bleach, sleeping pills, alcohol, pain killers, etc.
Actually Scenario 3 + 5 equal about 1/2 of all murders.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Or in New York where the "highly trained" police opened fire on a suspect and shot 9 bystanders as well.
NYPD: 9 shooting bystander victims hit by police gunfire | Fox News

"I believe it was handled well," Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said. Handled well, and these are the people the left thinks are best qualified to carry firearms.
This is one I hadn't seen. Thanks for putting it up. As I said earlier, its a wonder there hasn't been a LOT more bystanders and even people some distance away, hurt or killed, by this mindless tactic. Truthfully, there probably has been, but covering up such things is something the blue line is exceedingly good at.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:00 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Actually Scenario 3 + 5 equal about 1/2 of all murders.
Not even close. Scenario 5 isn't murder anyway (and the wording in your scenario doesn't clarify whether the neighbor shoots themselves, or the homeowner), the victim may wish to die, but they won't.

According to FBI UCR expanded murder circumstances by relationship data of 12,644 homicides 522 wives were victims of homicide total, just over 4%.

Of 12,644 homicides 2,700 acquaintances (neighbor) were victims of homicide total, just over 21%.

Together they equal at most 25% and we don't know the circumstances (including weapons used) just the relationship.

So no scenario 3+5 doesn't even come close to 50% and is probably significantly less than 25% total when you consider that 25% includes all forms of murder using all forms of weapons, under all circumstances (including things like killing acquaintances who are in a rival gang).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies