Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 11:00 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,520,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Mentioning the Second Ammendment whips them into a particular frenzy.
Their absolute ignorance of what the words mean is astounding. And, after all, the law is settled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 11:01 AM

39,227 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Is that what you said? No. Here is your direct quote:
well, again, you took my words out of context. I was responding to a poster who said I was anti-military.

I had a right to defend myself, no?

You kept on dodging the question, do you believe Adam Lanza had equal right as you of owning a firearm?

Old 01-26-2015, 11:03 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Ever notice that with all of these so called "good guy" gun totters that they rarely, if ever, get a shot off when another gun totter goes berserko? Always thought that sort of laid to rest the "if they enter my house I will gun them down before they know what him them" chatter.

And yes, every day we hear/read about the "good guys" gun shooting someone all by itself.

Sadly, there is only one way to eliminate our gun problem and that is to rid society of this scourge. It will take a hundred years to get rid of them all but down the road, someone's great, great grandchild might live because of it.

And that second amendment rhetoric...read it...study it, and then look at how it has been interpreted by the courts at the highest level (not what the gun manufacturers at the NRA are feeding you). With certain few exceptions, the courts have ruled that it does nothing to empower an individual nor protect an individuals right to carry a firearm.

And from a practical perspective, why on earth would anyone in America need to walk around carrying a gun? If you wish to be a sport hunter, secure your guns at a source; check them out, check out the ammunition, check them back in with the remaining ammunition or casings, and go on your way. That protects you, your guns and the rest of us who have less than complete confidence that many gun handlers have a clue as to how to responsibly own a weapon.
Do you argue so passionately against every right afforded you as a citizen or just this one?

Old 01-26-2015, 11:03 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Sadly, there is only one way to eliminate our gun problem and that is to rid society of this scourge. It will take a hundred years to get rid of them all but down the road, someone's great, great grandchild might live because of it.
How do you get rid of them, laws?

Is that how we got rid of meth and heroine?

Old 01-26-2015, 11:07 AM

1,245 posts, read 923,472 times
Not this again...Here go read this Restaurant Robbed At Gun Point For Third Time Since Guns Were Banned From Store - Leah Barkoukis

Stop giving up your rights because the lefties scared you.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:09 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, again, you took my words out of context. I was responding to a poster who said I was anti-military.

I had a right to defend myself, no?
If you're not willing to stand by those words....

Quote:
You kept on dodging the question, do you believe Adam Lanza had equal right as you of owning a firearm?
I believe that just as the First Amendment isn't 100% absolute and should have some restrictions that are very limited and defined, I feel the same about the Second.

Since I don't know a ton about Adam Lanza's diagnosis, his potential criminal record or if he was ever committed to a mental institution, I can't say for sure if he should have had restrictions.

I can say that if I wanted to kill a whole bunch of people and didn't have access to a gun, I would use a vehicle to race through a crowded festival or block a few exists and light a club on fire.

You'll never stop a lunatic from killing people if they want to do so. The largest mass murder in US history was done with box cutters.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
How do you get rid of them, laws?

Is that how we got rid of meth and heroine?
Individuals with PTSD, for example, have an elevated prevalence of risk factors that are associated with increased violence, such as substance misuse and comorbid psychiatric disorders. Because of this, findings regarding the relationship between PTSD and violence should be interpreted cautiously if they are based on analyses that do not take risk factors other than PTSD into account.

For example, in one study of Veterans who served post-9/11, PTSD when examined on its own was associated with an increased risk of violence. However, when alcohol misuse was statistically controlled, PTSD was no longer associated with an increased risk of violence

As a matter of fact, people who suffer from PTSD are advised to stay away from firearms or alcohol and drugs.

I don't think law should be pass to regulate their civil right, but common sense should be practiced to avoid unnecessary tragedies.

It is not controversy, it is common sense stuff.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:13 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,895 times
Quote:
Individuals with PTSD, for example, have an elevated prevalence of risk factors that are associated with increased violence, such as substance misuse and comorbid psychiatric disorders. Because of this, findings regarding the relationship between PTSD and violence should be interpreted cautiously if they are based on analyses that do not take risk factors other than PTSD into account.

For example, in one study of Veterans who served post-9/11, PTSD when examined on its own was associated with an increased risk of violence. However, when alcohol misuse was statistically controlled, PTSD was no longer associated with an increased risk of violence

As a matter of fact, people who suffer from PTSD are advised to stay away from firearms or alcohol and drugs.

I don't think law should be pass to regulate their civil right, but common sense should be practiced to avoid unnecessary tragedies.

It is not controversy, it is common sense stuff.
But Ted Bear wants to eliminate ALL guns from the United States. You don't agree with that stance do you?

Old 01-26-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
If you're not willing to stand by those words....

I believe that just as the First Amendment isn't 100% absolute and should have some restrictions that are very limited and defined, I feel the same about the Second.

Since I don't know a ton about Adam Lanza's diagnosis, his potential criminal record or if he was ever committed to a mental institution, I can't say for sure if he should have had restrictions.

I can say that if I wanted to kill a whole bunch of people and didn't have access to a gun, I would use a vehicle to race through a crowded festival or block a few exists and light a club on fire.

You'll never stop a lunatic from killing people if they want to do so. The largest mass murder in US history was done with box cutters.
well, I stand behind my words, but I cannot help it when people take my words out of context. Meh, shrug, it is not a big deal.

You can never stop a lunatic from killing people, but people should be taught how to handle firearms and always use common sense when handling firearms. You dispute that?

Old 01-26-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
But Ted Bear wants to eliminate ALL guns from the United States. You don't agree with that stance do you?
I disagree with that.

Matter of fact, I would want to take my guns to public sometimes, but I am in California, I simply cannot do that. It is inconvenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies