Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2015, 09:44 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

The sad thing is this.

1) The national news media sucks. They jump the gun all the time.

2) The Obama administration has been quashing and manipulating negative info forever, even noted by recent NPR reports.

So at this point I don't know if it's crappy journalism or the WH controlling the press and military which of course they control the military 100% (by law).

P.S. It's sad I have to be cynical here....I normally defend Obama from the rwnjs.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:16 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The sad thing is this.

1) The national news media sucks. They jump the gun all the time.

2) The Obama administration has been quashing and manipulating negative info forever, even noted by recent NPR reports.

So at this point I don't know if it's crappy journalism or the WH controlling the press and military which of course they control the military 100% (by law).

P.S. It's sad I have to be cynical here....I normally defend Obama from the rwnjs.
I'm not surprised at a WH administration attempting to manipulate negative info (that's what they do), nor at the press jumping the gun on a story. Everyone wants a scoop.

It doesn't matter in either case.

The only thing that matters is getting to the bottom of the story: did Bergdahl desert his unit.

That's it. Nothing else matters.

And until you have Bergdahl in your clutches, you have no ability to question him in an effort to ascertain what happened exactly. And to get him back, we had to make a deal...a deal that leaves a bad taste in the mouths of many. The deal, as distasteful as it might be to some, is easily justifiable. We didn't trade convicted criminals for him. Obama may as well just say this instead of prevaricating and causing more silly speculation.

We don't leave able bodied Americans behind in enemy hands if we have the ability to secure their release. This point is one the Obama administration HAS said. The idea that we should've left him with the Taliban because "he's a deserter" is the stuff of idiots. You're not a deserter until you've been convicted of desertion. And you can't make the conviction without a trial, and no trial is possible without Bergdahl present to offer a defense of himself unless you're looking to try him in absentia (not gonna happen).

Folks are making this more complicated than it is. A 5th grader could figure this out.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:51 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,369,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I didn't say a thing about the left/right dichotomy. I realize that it's non applicable here, or at least it should be.

That you care about his actions makes you no different than any other American whether they served or not. Any American following this story wants to know what happened.

To say that getting him back out of enemy hands is a mantra that doesn't apply here is bunk. Of course it applies. And it doesn't stop applying at any point in this episode...even if he's found guilty of desertion. Because if you haven't found him guilty, he isn't a deserter, but a soldier with the same status as any other soldier.

I don't know why the kid walked off the COP...nor do you. In fact, you don't know anything about this case that can be taken to trial and used for anything substantial. What you have is inference and innuendo...rumor, and conjecture.
I beg to differ. It is an entirely different situation if you have served. You know what life is like on the COP. You know it takes the efforts of every single Soldier to provide security and look after each other. It is part of the Soldier's Creed. You don't turn your back on your brothers in arms. The notion of not leaving anyone behind, or allowing anyone to fall into the hands of the enemy is entirely different than dealing with a Soldier that knowingly walked of his post. Compare two different situations. First, a unit is involved in a fierce fire fight. Things happen in combat, it is chaotic. Say a small element is cut off from the larger unit. That would be a case of not leaving anyone behind. You do whatever it takes to get those Soldiers back. That is entirely different from a kid knowingly, and willingly just walking off the COP. Not saying we shouldn't get him back, but it is a whole different kettle of fish when he left his post of his own volition. Here is a news flash. In Afghanistan, anything outside the wire is enemy territory. What did Bergdahl think was going to happen? He left notes that have been widely reported explaining his intentions to his fellow Soldiers on the COP. He also communicated his intentions to friends and family via email and instant messages.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:03 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Default Army Deserter Bergdahl Charge Made Public

All is as it should be.

We got Bergdahl back from the terrorists and now if the investigation shows he behaved as his accusers claim, he'll have to face the charges. As a veteran myself, one of the things I felt confident about during my time (long ago) was that if I was being held by the enemy, America would do what it could to get me back. And that applies to Bergdahl and any other serviceman.

Bringing up charges is a separate issue that applies in his case.

Bringing home Americans held prisoner applies in all cases.

It isn't complicated.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:07 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
The Army says the FOX story is not true. It's funny how FOX also invented "news" about a "titanic battle" this is causing in the White House.

Army: Bergdahl reports are untrue, no decision made

The Army says there is no truth to media reports claiming a decision has been made to charge Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl with desertion.

The Army continues to review the case against Bergdahl, said Paul Boyce, a spokesman for Forces Command, on Tuesday morning.

"Sgt. Bergdahl has not been charged with any crime," said Pentagon Press Secretary Rear Adm. John Kirby during a press briefing Tuesday afternoon.

"No decision has been made with respect to the case of Sgt. Bergdahl," Kirby said. "None. There is no timeline to make that decision, and Gen. [Mark] Milley is being put under no pressure to make a decision."

Old 01-28-2015, 06:23 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Do you have a link to that? I think I'm almost shocked that the Army would go against Obama so openly. This was promoted by the White House and Obama as a MAJOR "mission accomplished" - complete with Rose Garden Ceremony and a Press Announcement.
There is none so far. There is speculation because this yahoo "claims" they are going to do it.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:50 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
NBC said senior defense officials told NBC that he was being charged. It's at the top of the article:
Bowe Bergdahl Likely to Be Charged With Desertion, Officials Say - NBC News
But, but, FOX!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
No surprise. The criminally corrupt Obama regime is no doubt using threats and coercion to make the Army tow the line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Yeah, this administration has such a stellar reputation for honesty and transparency. It's hard to imagine any misconduct by our heroes in the Obama administration.
Of course.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:58 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
So, in other words, a decision has been made and senior military members that know of it leaked it to the press. Now the administration is in damage control mode ordering that the story be quashed. Until, say, 10:00 pm some Friday.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:33 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
I beg to differ. It is an entirely different situation if you have served. You know what life is like on the COP. You know it takes the efforts of every single Soldier to provide security and look after each other. It is part of the Soldier's Creed. You don't turn your back on your brothers in arms. The notion of not leaving anyone behind, or allowing anyone to fall into the hands of the enemy is entirely different than dealing with a Soldier that knowingly walked of his post. Compare two different situations. First, a unit is involved in a fierce fire fight. Things happen in combat, it is chaotic. Say a small element is cut off from the larger unit. That would be a case of not leaving anyone behind. You do whatever it takes to get those Soldiers back. That is entirely different from a kid knowingly, and willingly just walking off the COP. Not saying we shouldn't get him back, but it is a whole different kettle of fish when he left his post of his own volition. Here is a news flash. In Afghanistan, anything outside the wire is enemy territory. What did Bergdahl think was going to happen? He left notes that have been widely reported explaining his intentions to his fellow Soldiers on the COP. He also communicated his intentions to friends and family via email and instant messages.
Fair enough, but you aren't the only veteran in this conversation, ya know.

Again, i don't know what happened. You don't know what happened either. Neither one of us were there. And we don't know Bergdahl's state of mind either. Strange things happen to people in war.

But still, we have a duty to bring Bergdahl home because he's an American. Besides, we didn't lose anything by securing his release anyway. I don't see what the big deal is.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:35 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
So, in other words, a decision has been made and senior military members that know of it leaked it to the press. Now the administration is in damage control mode ordering that the story be quashed. Until, say, 10:00 pm some Friday.
its called a trial balloon.

you get some info out that you arent sure how its going to blow up. make the leak sketchy, involve your enemeies in the reporting.

see what happens.

if it blows up.

reverse course and blame the news outlet you dont like.

least anyone think that crazy, every single president has done this for as long as I can think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies