Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 07:55 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This is a major generalization
It's a pattern, and seeing patterns is how we understand the world.

Quote:
as I can show many example...
Of course you can. There are exceptions to most patterns. That doesn't invalidate them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 12:53 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
On the older OP, don't know why this was revived yesterday but I have stated before on the forums that historically all predominantly black neighborhoods, regardless of the economic status of the families based on income, have been valued less than that of majority white neighborhoods. This is primarily due to America's devaluing of "black" versus white and is an entrenched part of the American culture and system.

The families in the article of course would have homes still valued less than white neighborhoods as a result.

FWIW, I do feel that eventually home prices will catch up and the persons featured in the article over the next 5 years who are still in/making payments on, or who have gotten assistance via HARP and other programs, will see their values in those homes increase to what they were pre-recession. This sort of rebound always takes longer for predominantly black areas. It has nothing to do with the people themselves or "the black community" it is just a legacy of our country's racist past basically. I know people don't like that to admit that, but in housng, that is exactly what it is when you speak of homes and their value in white and non-white/black areas. Usually if the population is more than 30% black, it is automatically worse less than an areas with only 20% black residents or less.

On this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There are threads in the General US and NY forums that are active and inactive showing just that. For instance, Lakeview(CDP) in the Malverne Union Free SD on Long Island is a community that is NY State's Blackest community/municipality at 81% Black according to the 2010 census and its median household income is $117,292 according to 2010-2014 census info. Malverne's Black graduation rate is 86%, which is above the state and national percentage. That percentage is according to the NYSED Report Card for Malverne HS. That is just one example and there are others just on Long Island, let alone in the US. Malverne HS is 62% Black, btw.

Elmont Memorial HS in Elmont(CDP), a pluralistically more Black community also on Long Island(47-48% Black with a median household income of $88,915 and $99,313 for Black households), had a graduation rate of 92% in 2014 and is 79% Black. That is another example.

Baldwin Senior HS also on Long Island had a graduation rate of 90% and is 49% Black(Black grad rate was 88%). About a third of the residents of that SD are Black and the Black median household income in the district, according to 2010-2014 census info, was $119,458. That is the highest for any group in that diverse, middle class SD.
As you stated ckhthankkgod, it is not uncommon for black Americans to do well in school. The national high school graduation rate for black youth today is over 70% and from 2010-2016 black females, nationally, graduate higher school over 82% of the time and they equal the graduation rates of whites, while being higher than that of hispanics. This includes all black youth and does not filter out by income either. Contrary to what people believe, just like some of those featured in the OP article, it is routine for black children to graduate high school and go on to college and enter the middle class, especially today, even while we are still recovering from the recession in housing value. Some people, unfortunately, do not keep up with what is going on and they base their view of my demographic mostly on 1980 and 1990s stereotypes and perceptions of black Americans.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:05 PM

6 posts, read 2,275 times
200K a year struggles. 2nd house that cost half a million struggles. LOL.
I love black people. I am white and I don't currently nor will I ever live in a white neighborhood. White people drive the prices of property up. I'm trying to get a nice home on a half acre with at least 3 bedrooms paid in full and I'm poor. I'm canvassing only black neighborhoods where I live, including one that was on gangland and first 48. It's got gang problems but the housing stock is amazing and I can get an amazing house for like 50K. Thank god for black people keeping those property values nice and low. I rent an apartment right now in a lower middle class black neighborhood (not the ghetto) and it's awesome. Sure, there was a driveby a few weeks ago across the street and my neighbors got raided by the feds and some of my neighbors are obvious racists and hate my guts but other than that man it's great. I'm getting twice the amenities for half the price, and I haven't been a victim of a crime or even witnessed one yet. We got free bus and rail lines that go right next to where I live and they run almost 24/7 cause it's the black side of town and I can take the bus for a $3 discount. The grocery store, everything is cheaper.

Reasons why I personally will never live in a city outside the south, or a city that does not have a large or majority black population. It's just easier to survive if your poor in places with lots of black people. The cops are more lax too. The cops around here are mostly black, they don't care. I drink beer on my front porch and in the common areas of my complex with my neighbors who like to smoke mass amounts of weed outside and never have to be afraid. When the young kids get off the bus stop across the street they almost always fight and it's fun to watch especially sense I'm drunk and when I get drunk I get loud but nobody notices or cares cause everybody around here is always loud. I'll never move back to a white neighborhood, you only live once.

Have fun being scared of the world and bored in your super expensive craphole you can't afford. I'm working with $500 a month rents here buddy. I got plenty money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies