Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are American men becoming feminized?
Yes, men are. 181 44.80%
No, They are not. 70 17.33%
American women are becoming more masculine 53 13.12%
Men and women are just closer to equality 101 25.00%
This is a society trend or fad that will fade 35 8.66%
Other 17 4.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 404. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 05:57 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,013,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb68 View Post
TnHilltopper, your post reminded me of this article below that was posted on another thread!! LOL

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd155/hrtofdixie69/housewife.jpg (broken link)
Normally I don't quote huge tracts like the one above, I find it annoying when people do, but I wanted to set up my reply like this so it can be compared. I can't take credit for this; I got it from another board; but I laughed until the dogs gathered around to stare at me when I read the post.

Quote:
Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready, on time. Call him and tell him what he needs to pick up from the store on his way home so that he knows what he is going to be cooking. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him. Most men are horny when they come home and the prospect of cooking a good meal (especially your favorite dish) and feeding the kids increases the likelihood of the warm welcome desired.

Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so you don’t feel like tearing his head off when he walks in the door after forgetting the groceries. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh-looking so you look your best when he takes you out to eat to make up for it. He has just been with a lot of work weary people so he should be pretty damn happy to be home with you now.

If he says be a little gay and a little more interesting for him, that his boring day may need a lift and one of your duties is to provide it, then slap him upside the head for suggesting bringing one of you friends into the bedroom.

Catalog the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives home with the kids. Give him a list of what he needs to do around the house if he ever wants to see you naked again after forgetting dinner and that comment about how sexy your friend looked.

What the hell is a dust cloth?

Over the cooler months of the year you should prepare and light a fire for him with all his sports memorabilia to set the tone for the upcoming football season. Sundays are your day to unwind too. Your husband better provide a haven of rest and order, and give you a lift too. After all, catering to your comfort will provide him with immense personal satisfaction of having a wife who contributes as much or more than he does.

Prepare the children. Take a few minutes to scrape off boogers and check for ringworm, t fix their hair by pulling out the playdoh, if they are running around naked, put them in clothes. They are little monsters and he should see them playing the part. Minimize all noise. Duct tape works well for this. At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer or vacuum by telling him it’s his turn. Try to encourage the children to be quiet and watch daddy clean.

Try not to grimace when you see him.

Greet him with a warm beer and show sincerity in your desire to have him please close the damn refrigerator.

Listen to him. You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first—remember, men are not very smart, and he is just digging his hole deeper and deeper.

If he makes the evening his. Never complain if he comes home late or goes out to dinner, or other places of entertainment without you. Instead, change the locks and empty out the joint accounts

Your goal: Try to make sure your home is a place of peace, order and tranquility where your husband knows his role.

Don’t greet him with complaints and problems, he better have fixed them before they got to your attention.

Don’t complain if he’s late home for dinner or even if he stays out all night unless it is on girl’s night out.

Make him comfortable. Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or have him lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him. It will keep him off balance and unsure of what you want.

Don’t ask him questions about his actions, his judgment or integrity. These are big words and he will feel dumb. Remember, he thinks he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will within whatever guideline you set. You have the right to question him whenever, wherever, about any topic you so desire, just because.

A good wife always knows her place. On top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 07:33 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,608,382 times
There will always be Americans. They will not always be descended from northern Europeans but will come from all over the world and bring their cultures with them to create a mixed culture called American.

America will always be here, just different. Just like it always has been. Different.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:29 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,158,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Normally I don't quote huge tracts like the one above, I find it annoying when people do, but I wanted to set up my reply like this so it can be compared. I can't take credit for this; I got it from another board; but I laughed until the dogs gathered around to stare at me when I read the post.
I got a kick out of the following post which is rather humorous yet goes to point salient difference between the genders that does in fact exist. With these differences diminished in our social mor'es, it will be curious what humor in the future will look like.

Quote:
Let's say a guy named Roger is attracted to a woman named Elaine. He asks her out to a movie; she accepts; they have a pretty good time. A few nights later he asks her out to dinner, and again they enjoy themselves. They continue to see each other regularly, and after a while neither one of them is seeing anybody else.

And then, one evening when they're driving home, a thought occurs to Elaine, and without really thinking, she says it aloud:
"Do you realise that, as of tonight, we've been seeing each other for exactly six months?"

And then there is silence in the car. To Elaine, it seems like a very loud silence.

She thinks to herself:
Geez, I wonder if it bothers him that I said that. Maybe he's been feeling confined by our relationship; maybe he thinks I'm trying to push him into some kind of obligation that he doesn't want, or isn't sure of.

And Roger is thinking:
Gosh. Six months.

And Elaine is thinking:
But, hey, I'm not so sure I want this kind of relationship, either. Sometimes I wish I had a little more space, so I'd have time to think about whether I really want us to keep going the way we are, moving steadily toward.... I mean, where are we going? Are we just going to keep seeing each other at this level of intimacy? Are we heading toward marriage? Toward children? Toward a lifetime together? Am I ready for that level of commitment? Do I really even know this person?

And Roger is thinking:
So that means it was.... let's see.... February when we started going out, which was right after I had the car at the dealer's, which means.... lemme check the odometer.... Whoa! I am way overdue for an oil change here.

And Elaine is thinking:
He's upset. I can see it on his face. Maybe I'm reading this completely wrong. Maybe he wants more from our relationship, more intimacy, more commitment; maybe he has sensed.... — even before I sensed it.... that I was feeling some reservations. Yes, I bet that's it. That's why he's so reluctant to say anything about his own feelings. He's afraid of being rejected.

And Roger is thinking:
And I'm gonna have them look at the transmission again. I don't care what those morons say, it's still not shifting right. And they better not try to blame it on the cold weather this time. What cold weather? It's 87 degrees out, and this thing is shifting like a goddamn garbage truck, and I paid those incompetent thieves $600.

And Elaine is thinking:
He's angry. And I don't blame him. I'd be angry, too. God, I feel so guilty, putting him through this, but I can't help the way I feel. I'm just not sure.

And Roger is thinking:
They'll probably say it's only a 90-day warranty. That's exactly what they're gonna say, the scumballs.

And Elaine is thinking:
Maybe I'm just too idealistic, waiting for a knight to come riding up on his white horse, when I'm sitting right next to a perfectly good person, a person I enjoy being with, a person I truly do care about, a person who seems to truly care about me. A person who is in pain because of my self-centered, schoolgirl romantic fantasy.

And Roger is thinking:
Warranty? They want a warranty? I'll give them a goddamn warranty. I'll take their warranty and stick it right up their....

"Roger," Elaine says aloud.

"What?" says Roger, startled.

"Please don't torture yourself like this," she says, her eyes beginning to brim with tears. "Maybe I should never have.... Oh God, I feel so...." (She breaks down, sobbing.)

"What?" says Roger.

"I'm such a fool," Elaine sobs. "I mean, I know there's no knight. I really know that. It's silly. There's no knight, and there's no horse."

"There's no horse?" says Roger.

"You think I'm a fool, don't you?" Elaine says.

"No!" says Roger, glad to finally know the correct answer.

"It's just that.... It's that I.... I need some time," Elaine says.

(There is a 15-second pause while Roger, thinking as fast as he can, tries to come up with a safe response. Finally he comes up with one that he thinks might work.)

"Yes," he says.

(Elaine, deeply moved, touches his hand.) "Oh, Roger, do you really feel that way?" she says.

"What way?" says Roger.

"That way about time," says Elaine.

"Oh," says Roger. "Yes."

(Elaine turns to face him and gazes deeply into his eyes, causing him to become very nervous about what she might say next, especially if it involves a horse. At last she speaks.)

"Thank you, Roger," she says.

"Thank you," says Roger.

Then he takes her home, and she lies on her bed, a conflicted, tortured soul, and weeps until dawn, whereas when Roger gets back to his place, he opens a bag of Doritos, turns on the TV, and immediately becomes deeply involved in a rerun of a tennis match between two Czechoslovakians he never heard of. A tiny voice in the far recesses of his mind tells him that something major was going on back there in the car, but he is pretty sure there is no way he would ever understand what, and so he figures it's better if he doesn't think about it. (This is also Roger's policy regarding world hunger.)

The next day Elaine will call her closest friend, or perhaps two of them, and they will talk about this situation for six straight hours. In painstaking detail, they will analyze everything she said and everything he said, going over it time and time again, exploring every word, expression, and gesture for nuances of meaning, considering every possible ramification. They will continue to discuss this subject, off and on, for weeks, maybe months, never reaching any definite conclusions, but never getting bored with it, either.

Meanwhile, Roger, while playing tennis one day with a mutual friend of his and Elaine's, will pause just before serving, frown, and say:
"Andy, did Elaine ever own a horse?"

Old 01-10-2008, 08:59 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,606,592 times
Too hilarious!! Sadly too true for so many females who have that unrelenting dream of the Knight in Shining Armor. I think I escaped most of that heartbreak thankfully. Most of the men I have known and dated have been the talkers, active pursuers, and pressing me to marry, etc. It seemed like I was the one always trying to get away. So was a different twist for me. But I do have female friends who have had a version of this scenario played out at one time in their lives. And yes, as a friend, I listened for hours.....

It has been said, for most men, give him sex and a beer, and he will think he has a great relationship going....

Last edited by lilypad; 01-10-2008 at 09:08 AM..

Old 01-10-2008, 09:05 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,552,829 times
Default Eat Doritos or cry all night?

This is too true and on the same page as the "Men/Mars, Women/Venus" ....which is common sense most people (or at least, more mature or experienced ones) actually know, anyway....so I don't believe the hype of the few. Everyone knows this is true. I have talked to mothers of all son families, and mothers of all daughter families, and the difference right out of the box is astounding, and it isn't environmental. Or, have a daughter first, or two, and THEN a son and you really feel like you landed on another planet. Nothing you thought you knew works. Real men don't eat quiche sort of thing....or they are a highly paid chef in a four star restaurant and hopefully supporting a family in style.....

There's a standing joke within the mother network, that your daughters will give you ulcers with constant verbal jabs throughout the entire high school four years, and your son will efficiently give you a coronary by totalling the car three times before leaving the driveway and not say a word about "why", and walk away from it.

And, re the "feminization of the American male", I think so much of that is, again, media and hype based. I may be treading onto another path here, but I do think the "celebration of gayness" in this country, the open acceptance and even "practice" of single sex relationships, has eroded the public's perception of what (actually) constitutes "a guy"...and is in fact very harmful to young people without parental sorting out and guidance to manage this information productively.

And, yes, at the end of the day, the numbers do not lie. We can politicize and justify the reduction in (particularly white) birth rate all we want to.....if this continues, the ratios will change, and explanations will not change it. There's money in the bank or there isn't, period. And I agree this reduction is NO DOUBT going to either "destroy" our social fabric as we know it, IMPROVE it, but NO DOUBT change it.

Nice people should have children and raise them.....I remember an old grandmother telling me that years ago. Something wrong with the advice?

Old 01-10-2008, 09:11 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,868,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Saw the movie "Woodstock" last week, and it appears to be holding pretty constant to me. Perhaps folks need to take another look at the past.
PUHLEEZE!!! Don't confuse those hippy pansies with real men!! The hippy movement is one of the things that has feminized men and removed their backbone.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:36 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,096,320 times
Quote:

TOOO funny! Thank you!

Old 01-10-2008, 09:46 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,576,628 times
Quote:
Silverwing, that is cute, thanks for sharing. My favorite quote from the whole thing is this one

A good wife always knows her place. On top.

Although for some that is true, but some think doggy-style is also a good place!!

Old 01-10-2008, 09:51 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,096,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Too hilarious!! Sadly too true for so many females who have that unrelenting dream of the Knight in Shining Armor. I think I escaped most of that heartbreak thankfully. Most of the men I have known and dated have been the talkers, active pursuers, and pressing me to marry, etc. It seemed like I was the one always trying to get away. So was a different twist for me. But I do have female friends who have had a version of this scenario played out at one time in their lives. And yes, as a friend, I listened for hours....."""

""It has been said, for most men, give him sex and a beer, and he will think he has a great relationship going....
""
And with some of my men that WAS a good relationship....if they just wouldn't have whined about getting married it would've been perfect!

Yes, Lillypad, same here. I have never understood the really stupid view that ALL women are dying to get married and ALL men don't want to.

I , too, have found the opposite! ""Most of the men I have known and dated have been the talkers, active pursuers, and pressing me to marry, etc. It seemed like I was the one always trying to get away."""

They seemed so anxious to be nesting (taken care of). I think men just like to fantasize that all women are dying to marry them...it's comfy(and saves them thinking anything else).

Old 01-10-2008, 09:57 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,552,829 times
Default BAck to basics agree with Malamute

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's where men are being feminized because they see the traditional manly men as just being a**holes when those men worked and provided for their families, stayed by the mother of their children. Children without fathers were almost non-existent because the men of the past accepted responsibility. In the old days a man who would abandon his responsibilities was seen as scum, even his own family would ostracize him.
I feel this is completely true. Obvious, and the social pressure on men to support their families through thick and thin (for better or worse?) is .....off. As is the "pressure" on women to learn to/respect/become a mother. Cloaked as "freedom?"; give me a break.

There were/are salient reasons of human survival in these "traditional" values. Is no one looking at that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies