Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are American men becoming feminized?
Yes, men are. 181 44.80%
No, They are not. 70 17.33%
American women are becoming more masculine 53 13.12%
Men and women are just closer to equality 101 25.00%
This is a society trend or fad that will fade 35 8.66%
Other 17 4.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 404. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 10:16 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,154,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
TnHilltopper:"""The one thing from the feminist movement that I don't like is how the importance of this function or position has been written off as women broke free of the shackles of the "homemaker" in favor career. I think it is great that women have choices they never had and opportunities to pursue anything they like but to belittle such an important thing as managing a home or having children is not so cool.""

HOWEVER, SOME in here belittle MEN who want to do just that! IF it's SO important than why is it considered "bad" for a man to do it???????
Well "some" people think the earth is hollow, I am not one of them. I never said it was a bad thing for men to do, I only stated that it is important that someone do it. It is my opinion that when there is a family and not just DINK's (dual income no children) that the management of a home and family is a very important function.

Quote:
AND the "Women's movement" has belittled the role of homemaker ???????????
In some cases, yes it most certainly has. This idea that in order for women to be equal, or empowered or to break free from the shackles of their traditional roles is seen by many feminist as an escape from a lesser or demeaning role. I happen to disagree and feel that the role of women (or men) in managing a home and family is very important and understated by much of our society. There is much more importance placed on what people possess as vehicle to a better quality of life. My thoughts are that quality of life or family is not derived through monetary means as much as it is through a bonded family that communicates well and focuses more on interaction than just things. (Yes money helps)

Quote:
Maybe some have but look at the sexists in here who belittle ANYTHING considered "feminine". Who think if a woman's a homemaker she needs a "head of the household", someone to guide the poor little thing !!!!! Who think women should behave themselves and stay home and cook and clean and have babies no matter what they really want!
I cannot speak for others and others very well may feel that womens role is to be barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen. To those people, I say happy trails and if it works for them, then great! If it works for you to have another structure, then great! If you wish to have two career driven people who are not bound to the needs of their children, then great! Whatever works for each person or couple, then happy trails.

Part of my intent when starting this thread is my wonderment of whether society no longer needs or desires the traditional masculine male type or is what I see as the feminization of men leading our society and culture to a completely new place, and what that place may look like in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 11:18 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,590,047 times
One of the factors in traditional gender determination was the need for a woman to have a protective male around to fend off the predators, including other male humans. Most women did not have the training, strength and skill to fend off a man with rape and murder on his miniscule mind.

Sam Colt substantially reduced the need for a protector. John Browning improved on the idea. Training is available at any local pistol range. The willingness to use lethal violence to defend your self is just a matter of attitude and sense of self worth.

My wife put 6 out of 7 shots on a 10 in. pie plate ar 30 feet the first time she shot a .45 automatic. Then she got better. We both were pleased.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:25 AM

229 posts, read 169,440 times
Might not be a bad thing - probably less wars. But no, if anything it's going the other way. Watched any UFC, Pride Fighting, or any other sports lately. violence is INCREASING in American society.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:45 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,552,322 times
Default Who is advocating for the young ones here?

{QUOTE I cannot speak for others and others very well may feel that womens role is to be barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen. To those people, I say happy trails and if it works for them, then great! If it works for you to have another structure, then great! If you wish to have two career driven people who are not bound to the needs of their children, then great! Whatever works for each person or couple, then happy trails.

Part of my intent when starting this thread is my wonderment of whether society no longer needs or desires the traditional masculine male type or is what I see as the feminization of men leading our society and culture to a completely new place, and what that place may look like in the future.[/quote]

Paragraph one, I beg to disagree. In the two career driven paradigm, who IS bound to the needs of the children? What works for the "couple", in my opinion, is at times temporarily (at least) subjugated to the needs of the offspring...this is reality, not a viable "choice" to make now and clean up the garbage later....the parent is the only real advocate, caretaker, etc.......this to me is the "thinking" that has produced such disappointments and ongoing problems with the "younger' generation.....greater incidence of psych disorders in adolescence, etc....takes a village, there isn't one, so the buck stops with the parent..

Paragraph two....I am only speaking for myself here BUT....in my opinion, ask any single mother (and this is very often not by choice AT ALL) of more than one child whether a 'traditional male" in the mix would be a detriment or advantage to the "family system".....no brainer. Traditional male needed. Not the recliner couch potato, macho headcase, etc., stereotypes.....an additional advocate for the fa mily besides the mother. Period. Two are better than one. "Feminization" is one thing....if the balance shifts, the total result/paradigm has to be in the ballpark of "what works", so is the woman "masculinized?" Confusing....get the job done, no?

And, what's with the barefoot in the kitchen stereotype? This denigrates the emotional, perhaps spiritual, instinctual, YES caretaking, nurturing and CONVERSING and TAKING THE TEMPERATURE OF THE FAMILY SO IT DOESN'T EXPLODE (with children) and yes PLANNING role of WHOMEVER is NOT out battling the outside world 24/7, presumably to bring in the bacon...... try "blinking" too much and see what happens with two or more kids over the age of 10 in our society.......if someone is on high caffeine alert for 20 hours a day, bless them. Not everyone can do that and someone has to mind what's going on with the kids....as they get older, it is much more complex. Progressing into adulthood socially and educationally has become much more of a challenge, and very few young people can navigate this as well as is POSSIBLE without a very attentive, functional adult, sometimes "on call."

Take the long view....do people do that anymore? What you sacrifice now "fulfillment", etc....can pay off tremendously in terms of your childrens' adult future.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:03 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,740,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post

Don't be absurd.

In the 16th century, men wore waist-coats and obsessed about their calfs. They also wore powdered wigs.

Fashion changes.

** But, I think the arch-type American male could use a few classes in etiquette and style. Most women find burping contests to be titalating.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

The traditional bold American male is just another term for A**hole.

And uncultured, and uncooth, and sloppy. A true embarrassment.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:09 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,255,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Plenty of women fit that description. Some are celebrities.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:10 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,552,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Male bashing.

Are all women airheaded gold diggers, then? Hey, let's mate these two.....

Old 01-11-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Women may disagree, but men have had to adapt and conform to the established norms and standards of society to a greater degree than have women.
I think any woman who has a corporate job, would disagree with you. Business behavior was defined by men in business.

Success is defined in male terms. (money, status). Why isn't success defined as raising really good children? (For example.)

Old 01-11-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampgrrl View Post

Although I could care less if a guy is really uber masculine or not. I'm not dating everyone, and the few gay guy friends I have are pretty masculine guys.
I find "dandy's" to be much better skilled at pleasing a woman. Maybe it's all that, "I care about someone other than myself" thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies