Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are American men becoming feminized?
Yes, men are. 181 44.80%
No, They are not. 70 17.33%
American women are becoming more masculine 53 13.12%
Men and women are just closer to equality 101 25.00%
This is a society trend or fad that will fade 35 8.66%
Other 17 4.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 404. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 11:33 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Thank you for reminding us that some women retain a sense of humor and proportion in their marriage. That so few do is attested to by our astronomical rates of divorce and domestic violence.
I'm sorry, what? It sounds like you are saying humorless women are responsible for divorce and domestic violence. If I missed the funny here, please explain this and if necessary i will admit my misunderstanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 12:44 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,488,749 times
the article may bring a bit of humor now but years ago this was the norm and women followed these principles if you will. Nowadays you'd be hard pressed to find anyone following something as strick as this to simply make their husbands happy.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:49 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I would never advocate anyone hurting anyone else or to box them into a gender role. I would advocate letting people grow into the person that they are naturally. This may mean that they do not fit the traditional gender roles which is perfectly fine. The point is that those that do should be allowed to keep score in sports, learn to understand that some people will win and some will lose and also learn to deal with the emotions of not being victorious. If they hurt someone by acting like a brute, they deserve to be punished for it.
Children need to learn that, believe it or not girls are competitive too(boys may be more so, but it is not limited to them). We are overprotecting all children. There was an article about the generation graduating college right being so protecting by parents and schools now. One of the employers actually had the parent of a 22 year old college graduate call him to complain about the "childs" treatment. Children need to learn to face life that means winning, losing, and keeping score. Some may call it "feminization" I call it a big problem and it's happening to girls too.

Last edited by detshen; 02-29-2008 at 01:03 PM..

Old 02-29-2008, 12:58 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
if my husbabd read this to me he'd be having a prostate exam wayyy earlier than 50 years old. Not ONE of these suggestions would fly two feet in my house! Bah!!!
You would not do a single one of these things?

Heck, as the stereotypical grunting knuckling dragging assertive male, I even do a few of these things.

Greet my other and show pleasure upon her arrival, tidy up the house, openly show my desire to please her, and several others. I think this is done out of respect for one another but to each their own. A few of those listed on that page are rather extreme unless you are a fundamentalist (enter religion here)

Of course the lack of respect men and women seem to openly show their partners may be one of the causes for such high divorce rates and failed marriages. No one takes the issue of mutual respect that serious anymore.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:04 PM

5,167 posts, read 11,434,314 times
Why do we have to be a certain way just because of our gender? I think it has more to do with our personalities. Some boys like to play with dolls and learn to knit etc., others would rather do "macho" things, like play cowboys or sports. Some girls like to play with dolls and some would rather play with cars. Why can't we just leave each person be as they want to be? Why do we have to fit into molds - and who says what these molds are supposed to look like?

Old 02-29-2008, 01:25 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,114,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acupunk View Post
I'm sorry, what? It sounds like you are saying humorless women are responsible for divorce and domestic violence. If I missed the funny here, please explain this and if necessary i will admit my misunderstanding.
If that was the intent of the comment I would agree; if my husband wasn't so funny I probably would've divorced HIM by now; or smacked him in the head with a hammer...and I think he would feel the reverse of that way as well.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:35 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Thank you for reminding us that some women retain a sense of humor and proportion in their marriage. That so few do is attested to by our astronomical rates of divorce and domestic violence.
Typical sexist ...blaming women for divorce and domestic violence....I guess he must feel that if a wife doesn't laugh at her husband's jokes she FORCES him to beat her.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:41 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,543,599 times
Yes. American men are becoming more feminized. I find myself constantly having to remind young men to speak with some bass in their voice; to stand up tall; to look people in the eye.

I listen to NPR because they tend to discuss interesting topics, but it seems like 99% of the men who work for them are required to speak, like, two octaves higher than the average male. Don't get me wrong; I'm not hating on my gay friends. I've said the same thing to some of my gay friends: we are who we are, but you need not talk like Michael Jackson.

Nowadays, boys can't be too competitive; too loud; too strong. They can't act like men unless the female figure in their lives says it's OK.

Whew. Got that off my chest ...

Old 02-29-2008, 01:46 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,543,599 times
... and I'd venture to say that there are plenty of women who'd be glad if decent, intelligent, intellectual and masculine men came back in style.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:51 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acupunk View Post
There is no funny. The women's movement, which is led largely by humorless martinets of both sexes, has played an active role in increasing the level of divorce and domestic violence. It is also responsible, in part, for increased levels of illegitimate births and the resulting misery visited upon the children and families involved.

Increased gender equality brought with it an increased need for responsibility and a determination not to repeat the mistakes of the past. Awareness of this need and this determination are largely lacking among the contemporary advocates for women's rights, who persist in visualizing this aspect of our social lives as a zero-sum game, and who identify criticism of their viewpoint as essentially evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies