Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are American men becoming feminized?
Yes, men are. 181 44.80%
No, They are not. 70 17.33%
American women are becoming more masculine 53 13.12%
Men and women are just closer to equality 101 25.00%
This is a society trend or fad that will fade 35 8.66%
Other 17 4.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 404. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 06:16 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,177,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Not supporting the Violence Against Women Act means you don't care about women. Even though the primary aggressor laws and restraining order rules it promotes are proven to negatively impact innocent men.

You're supposed to man up and be responsible if a woman you had sex with gets pregnant with an unwanted child. At the same time you're supposed to support her right to choose.

We support advocacy programs and outreach programs to get women involved in the STEM fields. Meanwhile men are heavily underrepresented in the liberal arts and nothing is done about it.

It is discrimination to charge women higher rates for health insurance, but men are charged higher rates for life and car insurance.

We are supposed to be concerned about the glass ceiling where women are underrepresented in top corporate positions. The glass floor where men are doing virtually of society's dirtiest and most dangerous jobs, suffering 90% of workplace fatalities, isn't mentioned.

We're concerned about racial differences in blacks getting greater criminal sentences for the same crimes as whites. Nothing is done about men getting greater criminal sentences for the same crimes as women.

We are concerned about violence against women in society. But men are the victims of violent crime at triple the rates of women.

We have rape shield laws so that women don't suffer social condemnation when making a rape accusation. The accused man's name and photo can be on TV and in the newspapers before he's been convicted.

Women get custody in 90% of custody battles. It strains credibility to believe that 9 times out of 10 the woman is the better parent.

Women's specific health issues, such as breast cancer, receive triple the funding that men's health issues do despite men having a lower life span.

Do you need more?
I would agree with most of those examples, but, the reason women are being focused on is because there are large groups of women standing up, and fighting for these things and encouraging other women, and men to also fight for these things, they aren't just being handed to women on a silver platter, someone looked at things and said, "this is a concern, lets do something!" The rights today's woman enjoys were earned by other women who fought for them. Nothing changes without action.

If men are upset by something they should be doing the same, a lot of women would be happy to support genuine issues facing men. Why aren't men out there in droves fighting for each other when it comes to child custody, I only hear about from a few men whom it personally affects, and they just walk around angry instead of fighting for more equal custody laws. I am a woman, but I find it appalling that good fathers are being punished in favor of mothers. Men have to stand up and make a case for it, get supporters, and then fight, and not stop until it's done. Women fought hard for the rights they received. If you just sit back, nothing will ever change.

People have always complained about the women's movement, they always had detractors, but they kept plowing ahead anyway, if men do the same they can get what they want. It often seems like they don't actually want to do anything about it, but they still want to complain about it.

Last edited by detshen; 03-16-2013 at 06:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 06:18 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,195,928 times
overall pacified male aggression. what was considering being a sailor 50 years ago will not result in dishonorable discharge and jail time.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:23 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,872,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
This thread will be all over the place if we don't realize that there are as many definitions of "masculine" and "feminine" as there are people! There is no big black definite line that seperates these two words.

What really is "natural" , what is learned ?

However I would've thought we could agree that harming others is neither....it's just bad.

"""I will encourage him to pull girls' hair and eat bugs, and I won't put him on drugs for doing it. Why? It is just a part of growing up.""""

It should also be part of growing up to learn right from wrong...it's wrong to harm others.
The "boys -will-be-boys" bunk is what produces wife beaters.
But your son may get lucky and some girl who has her hair pulled will turn and punch his lghts out Now would that be "masculine" or "feminine"?

Pooping is part of growing up but if your kid did it in the neighbor's front yard you wouldn't curtail that ?
No, denying and suppressing the natural aggression in boys and thinking they don't need fathers to teach them to manage these traits is what creates wife-beaters. Sometimes I'm blown away by the liberal stupidity regurgitated on this forum.

Yes, males are dangerous. To acknowledge instead of denying or suppressing is the first step in positively harnessing this fact and energy.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:15 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,447,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I would agree with most of those examples, but, the reason women are being focused on is because there are large groups of women standing up, and fighting for these things and encouraging other women, and men to also fight for these things, they aren't just being handed to women on a silver platter, someone looked at things and said, "this is a concern, lets do something!" Nothing changes without action.
This was true decades ago, but is not true now. That is how the situation has gotten to be where it is. When women were marching in the streets burning their bras they really had something to fight for and opponents to fight against. Not in modern society. Both candidates in the Presidential debate last election advocated for more women in top positions. Times have changed.

Quote:
If men are upset by something they should be doing the same, a lot of women would be happy to support genuine issues facing men. Why aren't men out there in droves fighting for each other when it comes to child custody, I only hear about from a few men whom it personally affects, and they just walk around angry instead of fighting for more equal custody laws. I am a woman, but I find it appalling that good fathers are being punished in favor of mothers. Men have to stand up and make a case for it, get supporters, and then fight, and not stop until it's done. Women fought hard for the rights they received. If you just sit back, nothing will ever change.
Actually, men have tried to do something about it. And the premier site for men's rights, A Voice For Men, is listed by the SPLC and blocked by Norton Antivirus as a hate group.

It is the same thing as saying white people should protest for their rights. It isn't accepted. White people are privileged and have no business protesting. While that may be true when it comes to white people, it really isn't true of men. It used to be true, but not anymore. Men are now lagging behind women by 20% in education and make up 40% of domestic violence victims.

Quote:
People have always complained about the women's movement, they always had detractors, but they kept plowing ahead anyway, if men do the same they can get what they want. It often seems like they don't actually want to do anything about it, but they still want to complain about it.
Most men don't. You have the left wing which has embraced womens' rights. Then you have the right wing which supports traditional values. There is no mass support for equal rights, but equal for both sexes. The culture is to bring up boys to be strong men who don't whine about their problems. "Boys don't cry" It is tough for men's groups to get traction and be taken seriously. Even when a man loses his kids in an unfair custody battle, he has a tendency to see it as just his rotten luck and not see that it is a systemic problem in family courts.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:37 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,177,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
This was true decades ago, but is not true now. That is how the situation has gotten to be where it is. When women were marching in the streets burning their bras they really had something to fight for and opponents to fight against. Not in modern society. Both candidates in the Presidential debate last election advocated for more women in top positions. Times have changed.

Actually, men have tried to do something about it. And the premier site for men's rights, A Voice For Men, is listed by the SPLC and blocked by Norton Antivirus as a hate group.

It is the same thing as saying white people should protest for their rights. It isn't accepted. White people are privileged and have no business protesting. While that may be true when it comes to white people, it really isn't true of men. It used to be true, but not anymore. Men are now lagging behind women by 20% in education and make up 40% of domestic violence victims.

Most men don't. You have the left wing which has embraced womens' rights. Then you have the right wing which supports traditional values. There is no mass support for equal rights, but equal for both sexes. The culture is to bring up boys to be strong men who don't whine about their problems. "Boys don't cry" It is tough for men's groups to get traction and be taken seriously. Even when a man loses his kids in an unfair custody battle, he has a tendency to see it as just his rotten luck and not see that it is a systemic problem in family courts.
If men want change they are going to have to fight for it no matter what it takes, accepted or not, just as the women who fought for women's rights did despite the hate they received for it, and many, many people trying to hold them back. At that time women were supposed to be compliant, and accept their place, but they refused. That men's sight came up just fine in my computer with no issue at all, so they can be found, I'll look it over when I get the chance. It's not the same as white people complaining about nothing, you just wrote all that stuff and had people agreeing with you so the kernal is there, but it takes continued, and non stop action to make real change.

If men want issues to change regarding equal rights when they feel they don't have them, they have to put in the effort, and ignore those who are against them. The idea that all women would automatically be against a man fighting for his rights is wrong, there are plenty of areas where men have a legitimate gripe, and women know that, but they have to talk about it and be willing to deal with the fact that some women, and probably a lot of men will not be very supportive.

Last edited by detshen; 03-16-2013 at 08:01 PM..

Old 04-26-2013, 03:10 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,463,479 times
My two favorite REAL men were Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher!

Old 04-26-2013, 03:13 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,159,565 times
Well, this woman is telling her 16 month old son to "man up" all the time...so I doubt he will be wimpy dimpy.

This isn't a man-woman issue.
There has been some lame-ass movement in the last 20 years that has coddled and created overly-sensitive namby-pambies of both genders. It's tiring to deal with these entitled people.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:31 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,740,717 times
I picked the 4th option on the poll...

Most americans have been SO BRAINWASHED by the elite they cannot use thier mind to do anything... THEY FOLLOW WHAT OTHERS ARE DOING AND ITS SAD!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies