Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 10:47 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times

Advertisements

My unreasonable reactions are the primary reason I could never have been a classroom teacher. My fuse was set way too short in 'Nam. That has not changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 10:47 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,545 times
cell phones have no business in schools. kids today already have ADD and way too many distractions.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:49 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Keep in mind, from what the news article said, the teacher took the phone from one student, who didn't own it, and then the student who owned the phone forcibly took it back from the teacher.

There are a lot of details missing, such as if the teacher asked the other student, who was in possession of it, to hand the phone over and did that student hand it over.

Regardless, once the student attacked the teacher, he should be charged and expelled.

I only ask the scenario to get a better idea of how it started, which isn't completely cleared.
The teacher should realize his limits.

I think he's human and probably did what a lot of us would assume what should be done, which is to just handle it the old fashioned way. But that wasn't the right way to handle it. I think schools need better training in this area and a more comprehensive process of maintaining order in classes.

Absolutely the student needs to be dealt with. But that doesn't change the fact that the instructor ratcheted up the tension unnecessarily.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:50 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
cell phones have no business in schools. kids today already have ADD and way too many distractions.
See, I even disagree there.

Cell phones are a part of our everyday lives. They have a place if used properly and I think the school system needs to find ways to motivate students more by finding educational activities with their phones -- don't laugh.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:52 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post

Cell phones are a part of our everyday lives. They have a place if used properly and I think the school system needs to find ways to motivate students more by finding educational activities with their phones -- don't laugh.
Sorry - but I'm laughing!
bring back pay phones and mom's calling the main office if there's an urgent issue at home - hey it was good enough for Ferris Bueller

Old 01-28-2015, 10:54 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
I had the experience of watching my 9th grade science teacher grab a fellow student by the neck and drag him out of the classroom to the hall and then forced him to the ground and sat on him until the vice principal showed up put the kid in handcuffs and drug him to the office for the police. Student tried to assault the teacher as in this incident.

The teacher was an ex marine that fought through the Pacific Theater island to island. He was a tough somebitch.

We all clapped when the incident was over. I even remember hear a few Kick his ass Mr. D. Exclamations.

Life went on and the kid spent some time in juvy.

RESPECT is what has been lost at government run indoctrination camps.

Oh an OP that whole stealing line is a bunch of BS. It wasn't stolen. It was taken away like a toy from an insolent child that needed to be taught a lesson. It would have been given back at a later time. That is not STEALING.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:55 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Perhaps the real question should be when did outright disobedience become acceptable in a classroom? I am at the tail end of the Baby Boom generation so I remember wanting to clean a teachers clock for being an authoritarian jerk. Baby Boomers hated authority. But I knew never to cross that line. I always calmed myself down and either went directly to the principal and if that didn't work, I brought in my parents as back-up. There was no question of going toe to toe with the teacher in the classroom itself. In the office? Oh yeah!

Oh yes, the times have changed. Hell, I was raised military brat on top of all you mentioned.
We have to thank the lack of parenting for that and societies choice to reward it, so we don't hurt anyones feelings.

My stuff got taken before high school just like this guys cell phone. But at HS level, we were treated as adults. If you where disrupting the class, you were first asked to leave.
When I went to HS if you clocked a teacher you got expelled for the year, but no police were involved.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:58 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,180 times
Quote:

I have seen middle-aged adults in board meetings that cannot handle the distraction of cell phones. Even when asked to turn them off and put them away they still end up fondling them like sex toys I honestly don't know how teachers are expected to teach anymore.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:59 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
The teacher should realize his limits.

I think he's human and probably did what a lot of us would assume what should be done, which is to just handle it the old fashioned way. But that wasn't the right way to handle it. I think schools need better training in this area and a more comprehensive process of maintaining order in classes.

Absolutely the student needs to be dealt with. But that doesn't change the fact that the instructor ratcheted up the tension unnecessarily.
Specifically, how did "the instructor ratcheted up the tension unnecessarily"?

I have yet to find the details.

First, did the teacher walk over and ask for the phone from the student who was in possession of it, or did he take it by force? Please link to the information if you have the answer to this.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:02 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
My stuff got taken before high school just like this guys cell phone. But at HS level, we were treated as adults. If you where disrupting the class, you were first asked to leave.
When I went to HS if you clocked a teacher you got expelled for the year, but no police were involved.
As an ADULT if you grab a 62-year-old man and fling him to the ground, would the cops be involved?

If you want these students treated as an adult, wouldn't calling the cops when they assault a person be treating them as an adult? It sounds like you want it both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies