Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 10:02 PM

29,520 posts, read 19,612,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That would be silly, oh well.
So a fine for not using a garbage disposal isn't silly?

Again, how could they possibly enforce this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 10:06 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
So a fine for not using a garbage disposal isn't silly?

Again, how could they possibly enforce this?
The law doesn't say you can't use your garbage disposal, but seriously how much garbage to you shove into yours? If you have read the law, you would know how it is going to be enforced, and if you don't live in Seattle then it doesn't matter how it will be enforced because it will have no effect on you.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:15 PM

29,520 posts, read 19,612,482 times
It matters because stupidity is contagious in this country.... I'm sure the EPA would love to impose a nationwide regulation on composting banana peels and potato skins... Geez I get it, recycle plastic which clogs up landfills, recycle paper so we don't chop down more trees, but now they want us to do that with food because of greenhouse gas emissions. What's next banning meat?

Old 01-28-2015, 10:54 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
It matters because stupidity is contagious in this country.... I'm sure the EPA would love to impose a nationwide regulation on composting banana peels and potato skins... Geez I get it, recycle plastic which clogs up landfills, recycle paper so we don't chop down more trees, but now they want us to do that with food because of greenhouse gas emissions. What's next banning meat?
That sounds like an overreaction. The EPA isn't planning on forcing everyone to compost, they don't even force everyone to recycle. I think you will be fine not composting where you live.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:15 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,093 times
A few people on this thread live or have lived in Seattle, I'm from there. For those of you unfamiliar, Seattle, from time to time, has these things called "elections" in which the voters of the city are free to choose who will lead the city for the next several years. If this is that big of a deal to the people of Seattle when the next one of those elections rolls around, they're free to hold the people who passed the rule responsible by turning them out of office, but being from there, I highly doubt that's going to happen. So most of the voters are probably either for it or not that much against it.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:19 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Funny how people outside of the northwest think this is being a nanny state, when in actuality it is just a way of life for us that they don't understand.
It's a way of life when you do it voluntarily. It's a nanny state when the state requires you to do it. Funny.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:29 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,008,695 times
I hope you all noticed that in the original post the issue was the EPA, a non-elected government entity, considering dictating this for all of us.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:32 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,726,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I hope you all noticed that in the original post the issue was the EPA, a non-elected government entity, considering dictating this for all of us.
And as I pointed out, the article makes that claim but offers nothing to back it up.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:47 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,755 times
Food waste and yard clippings account for 28% of what we put into landfills. That is a huge waste of resources, landfill space and money for local governments. Composting removes a lot of material from the waste stream and saves money, so you'd think conservatives would love it.

Anyway, I live in a city and have begun composting this past year. Between the composting and recycling (plastics 1-6, all cardboard, paper, magazines), my family averages one bag of garbage per week. One. It's easy, I use the compost in my small garden, and I'm saving money and resources. It's great.

Last edited by Mr. Mon; 01-29-2015 at 08:21 AM..

Old 01-29-2015, 08:15 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,033,761 times
The problem with apartment buildings is the distance one has to go to dispose of the compost. It's easier to put everything in one bag and dump it down the chute than to take a separate bin to to the dumpster area. Also, the higher your floor the less likely you are to make special trips to the trash bin.

Then, you have to bring the pail back upstairs. This means that you can't just take out the compost when you're ready to leave. You have to make a special composting trip once a day, or more often.

It's inconvenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies